RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to see at what limits the air suspension would go into protection mode and how that acted. To test that, I filled containers of water of known sizes in the bed. Given that water weighs 8.33 lbs/gal it was easy to calculate the load.

The truck is a Laramie Crew Cab 4x4 that weighs 5950 with full tanks but no people or gear, so the rated payload is 1000 (the weight label says 1020). Your truck may be different.

The air suspension worked in all modes up to about 1600 at which point it would not raise to off-road mode. The message displayed was, "Selected Ride Height Not Permitted Due to Payload."

At about 1850 it would not work in any mode. At 2100 the compressor was cycling on frequently even though the air suspension was not working. I assume the compressor will shut down if it starts to overheat.

Not as good as I had hoped, especially the roughly 1600 limit, but not as bad as it might have been.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bigfoot,

Can you comment on how you distributed the load in the bed and which bed length you have? btw, you have great taste in color choice!:)
It has a 6'4" box. The weight was over or forward of the rear axle except that the heaviest load included 15 gal (125+ lb) to the rear.

You can thank my wife for the color. ;)

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
We're talking about trucks equipped with the factory air suspension. You cannot add airbags to this system. It already IS four airbags. ;)

And experimenting is fine, but you guys do remember these are "half ton" trucks, right? The kinds of weights being managed here could cause harm to other components in the suspension, etc., nag, blah...
Yes, mother. :p

We know the stock components are good to at least 1900 lbs payload because some versions--basic standard cab, 8-ft box, Pentastar--have that rating. Of course, the problem is taking a high-end model with 900 lbs of options and a 1000-lb payload and trying to add another 1000 lbs to that. In my case the factory air suspension starts to complain at about 600 lbs over rated payload in a static condition, and it quits completely at about 850 lbs over. I can't say what driving long-term at, say, 500 lbs over would do to other components. We will not know the actual limit until someone tries it and breaks something.

I think the standard coil suspension is more open to upgrades and could be fitted to carry 1000 lbs over-capacity without too much sweat. I'm sure some people are already doing mods such as LT tires, airbags, better shocks, beefier sway bars, etc.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.