RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Banned
667 Posts
Last fall I loaded a ton of wood pellets, got the error message, drove 25 miles, unloaded, restarted, message was gone.

·
Premium Member
2015 RAM 1500 CC 4x4
5,349 Posts
Here is picture of a stock 2015 with factory air suspension. Dropped on the ball with no weight distribution is a 2017
ATC 28 front bedroom with tongue mounted 5.5 Onan. Approx 1k hitch weight. Works perfect. I submit no other half ton stock would look so good.
Yet without weight distribution all you have is a good look.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Yes, mother. :p

We know the stock components are good to at least 1900 lbs payload because some versions--basic standard cab, 8-ft box, Pentastar--have that rating. Of course, the problem is taking a high-end model with 900 lbs of options and a 1000-lb payload and trying to add another 1000 lbs to that. In my case the factory air suspension starts to complain at about 600 lbs over rated payload in a static condition, and it quits completely at about 850 lbs over. I can't say what driving long-term at, say, 500 lbs over would do to other components. We will not know the actual limit until someone tries it and breaks something.

I think the standard coil suspension is more open to upgrades and could be fitted to carry 1000 lbs over-capacity without too much sweat. I'm sure some people are already doing mods such as LT tires, airbags, better shocks, beefier sway bars, etc.
WHY, don't you just get a 2500 and forget all these goofy ideas with the 1500, and just sit back have a beer and relax. Have a good day.

·
Premium Member
2015 RAM 1500 CC 4x4
5,349 Posts
Ive driven a few miles through the pasture with 2000 lbs of feed and 6 adults and 3 kids in my coil suspension without issue, sure it was sitting on the bump stops but I have observed no ill effects. That's probably about 3200-3300 lbs of payload.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.