RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Spoke to local Dodge sales manager today, asked him about the ride with the air suspension.
His statement was the ride is no better with the air suspension. I thought I read A/S ride is improved over standard.

Any have the A/S? What is your opinion?

Thanks Jim

·
Registered
366 Posts
Spoke to local Dodge sales manager today, asked him about the ride with the air suspension.
His statement was the ride is no better with the air suspension. I thought I read A/S ride is improved over standard.

Any have the A/S? What is your opinion?

Thanks Jim
I test drove a Hemi with air suspension and it had less road feel but it wasn't like "OH MY GOD, DO YOU FEEL THAT!?". I barely noticed any other differences, but for the price of the option from factory, it's an unreal value VS installing your own airbag kit. Supposedly it feels the same loaded as unloaded but I never got to test that.

The reasons I didn't take it was because in full "Off-Road#2" mode, the height of the truck basically looked identical to a 2500 4x4 but I wanted a little more and there's all the ordering limitations on the air suspensions(which my dealer told me to expect). Not to mention that the self-leveling system may malfunction with my bigass dog running laps in the box OR during a truck-pull(two things I wasn't able to "test drive").

·
Registered
281 Posts
I posed the same question at another forum & got 3 pages of responses. The overwhelming consensus was it definitely improved ride comfort. The most obvious thing I've learned during my shopping experience is that the vast majority of These salespeople don't know squat!!!

·
Registered
30 Posts
I read quite a few people say that when it was cold outside the ride quality was actually worse. I am still debating myself if to get it or not but at the end of the day the biggest benefit I can see is to show off "look at what my truck can do!!!!" Then you will never touch the controls for it ever again. Also when it comes to the lowering of the truck at highway speeds I am yet to see any proof that it saves even 1 mpg. Self leveling when towing etc...I haven't read too much into to be honest.

·
Registered
13,663 Posts
Keep learning something all the time. I always thought air suspension was for increased load capacity and being able to lighten it up when there was no load. I guess that would have ride quality as a component.

I would not want it because I had an old experience with air shocks in the '70's. Sure they worked, at least until the thing went out of warranty. They they broke (leaked? and quit. Cost me a lot to switch back to regular shocks.

Another thing I learned is some equate a pickup with the idea of a comfortable ride. Never knew that so I'm learning. I know I do NOT want a comfortable, quiet ride. I would fall asleep and wreck. Shake me a bit and then let me listen to a loud motor. It makes things a bit more exciting to keep me alert. First thing I'm gonna do is rip out that foam on top of the motor and hope it makes it actually sound like a diesel. Ordering an aftermarket set of load-helper bumper springs to deal with my heavy towing loads.

Air Cell makes inexpensive aftermarket air bags but I can sure see those thing getting a hole in them stuck inside the coil springs that move up and down with all the dirt and debris that will be hammered into that area both on and off road.

Good luck with those bags.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Good question, Oldminer! Also, what about longevity? Does anyone have an idea as to the life expectancy of this option?

·
Registered
279 Posts
Life expectancy - ie, an active system, that adjusts every time you get in the car - is less than springs that sit there..... not sure how to equate that into years or miles, but that's how I see it....
I really like the concept, drove big commercial trucks with air, and an old caddy my grandparents had, it's a great concept...... I am on the fence, but will probably go old school with the springs.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Life expectancy - ie, an active system, that adjusts every time you get in the car - is less than springs that sit there..... not sure how to equate that into years or miles, but that's how I see it....
I really like the concept, drove big commercial trucks with air, and an old caddy my grandparents had, it's a great concept...... I am on the fence, but will probably go old school with the springs.
Can't lift a factory air suspension without major custom work...

·
Registered
281 Posts
Computer skills limited. Ramforumz.com. See "air suspension & ride quality "

1 - 9 of 9 Posts