RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I’m thinking of converting air suspension back to conventional strut/ shocks and coils. Will standard ram struts fit the front? Strutmasters makes conversion kits, around 1000$. I would then add airbags for helpers on the rear. Anyone else convert?

·
Super Moderator
2015 Outdoorsman EcoD CC w/6.4' 4X4
4,418 Posts
From what I've read on other forums, they have gone aftermarket with a slight lift to level the vehicle. Sounded like that was a personal preference. The factory control arms must be the same as the mounts for the air suspension sensors are on the conventional suspension arms also.
It appears you can disable the factory air suspension and associated alarms using AlfaOBD

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Why convert such a nice expensive option?
Front shocks or struts are allowing front tires to hop on rough roads, suspension sags to the left after sitting over night and it sounds awfully exspensive to correct. Tire wear on front is main problem now.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Front shocks or struts are allowing front tires to hop on rough roads, suspension sags to the left after sitting over night and it sounds awfully exspensive to correct. Tire wear on front is main problem now. Handling on rough road on a curve is dangerous

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Is strutmasters the only place to go? All I’ve found so far! I hate it, love the air suspension but the expense of renewing doesn’t appeal to me.

·
Registered
24 Posts
i removed the air ride on my limited, pretty simple, only took about 4 hours of time. i went with bilstein 5100 front struts and bilstein b12 rear springs. i had a buddy that had a set of factory struts laying around so i was able to use the springs and such for the 5100s. if you do not have access to a set of factory struts you can go with the bilstein 6112 fronts or rough country ones. with alfaobd you can remove the air ride option so you wont get the message and you pull 2 fuses so the compress wont try on. the truck rides so much better with the bilstein struts and springs

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sounds like a good plan for me! You say it rides better on springs than it did on air?

·
Registered
152 Posts
I removed the air suspension due to the constant failure in the cold winter in Canada. I do miss having the adjustable ride but the failures always happened when needing to tow snowmobile trailer. Already had compressor replaced once and it seems the mechanics don't have much experience in diagnosing and repairing the suspension without throwing parts at it. Got too expensive.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts