RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone planning on installing aftermarket air bags to help level out the truck when towing? I've had a lot of buddy recommend the Air Lift setup.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Gotcha. The one thing I see is that added options and more complex suspensions could lead to more issues down the road. So sometimes it's worth the peace of mind to have something that is proven :)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
A shop I know recommends Hellwig air suspension. I have no experience with the product, though. I plan to get the Ram 4-corner air suspension which adds $1595 and 34 pounds to a Laramie.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Gotcha. The one thing I see is that added options and more complex suspensions could lead to more issues down the road. So sometimes it's worth the peace of mind to have something that is proven :)
The 4-corner air suspension is standard on the Laramie Limited, an option on all other models. It's a well-tested system that has been used on the 2013 Grand Cherokee and Ram 1500, and it should run trouble-free for typical ownership (5 to 7 years) but after that some parts are likely to wear out. Also, it does add complexity which could result in unexpected and expensive problems, so an extended warranty is worth considering. I test drove a 2013 Ram with air suspension and liked what it offers, so I plan to get it.

Attachments

·
Registered
42 Posts
I'm actually looking at getting the rear air suspension on the 2500. Just haven't figured out if I want to wait until February to get one or not :)

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
The nice part about buying the factory air suspension new is that it will be covered under warranty :)
If I understand the Ram warranty, suspension is covered for 3 years or 36k miles. Beyond that an extended warranty is worth considering.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Agreed. There is a lot of bells and whistles and an extended warranty should provide many years of carefree driving :cool:

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
I'm actually looking at getting the rear air suspension on the 2500. Just haven't figured out if I want to wait until February to get one or not :)
So why are you on a 1500 forum? :confused:

The 2500 air suspension is only on the rear so it does not offer some of the benefits of the 4-corner version on the 1500.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Because myself and my friends started this site :)

Yeah it only comes on the rear, but it offers load leveling and increased payload amounts. I have a 30' race trailer and it can get heavy real quick!

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Because myself and my friends started this site :)

Yeah it only comes on the rear, but it offers load leveling and increased payload amounts. I have a 30' race trailer and it can get heavy real quick!
I'm sure your participation is appreciated. There are many similarities between all the Ram pickups; we just have to be careful of which one we are talking about. I considered a 2500 for its better payload rating but calculated that a 1500 would be enough for me and would be less expensive to buy and operate, and easier to use. For big loads the 2500 or 3500 is the ticket.

My understanding is that air suspension does not increase payload or tow ratings, but I could be wrong. Load leveling is an important benefit that solves a nasty problem with conventional suspensions.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Yeah I hear ya. I tow up to 14,000 ft. elevation sometimes as well and that seems to zap the power out of just about anything.

I'm going to go test drive a new 2500 and if it doesn't fit in my garage then I will certainly be back to shopping for a nice Laramie 1500 with some air all around :)

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Yeah I hear ya. I tow up to 14,000 ft. elevation sometimes as well and that seems to zap the power out of just about anything.

I'm going to go test drive a new 2500 and if it doesn't fit in my garage then I will certainly be back to shopping for a nice Laramie 1500 with some air all around :)
Ha, the garage is another key consideration. On one test drive I took the truck home to see if it would fit. The 1500 works with a few inches to spare vertically and width-wise with standard folding mirrors. Many Rams I looked at had the towing package with the oversize, nonfolding mirrors which I could not live with. The air suspension parking mode will give me another 2" vertical clearance.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I wished Ram would offer the power folding mirrors like Ford does. It sure makes it nice for those of us who are wanting larger trucks, but don't have big garages or single garage width doors.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
I will opt for the aftermarket air helpers. I am afraid to overload the factory air option, although it seems nice. I hear that it will tell you that you're over the limit.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
I will opt for the aftermarket air helpers. I am afraid to overload the factory air option, although it seems nice. I hear that it will tell you that you're over the limit.
I don't understand your fear. Do you plan to frequently exceed rated capacity?

Existing owners and the Ram rep have said that if the payload reaches a certain level (one owner reported it to be over 2000 lbs in the bed) then the air suspension will simply go into Protection Mode which means it will return to normal height and not try to level the load. The same thing should happen if it fails for some reason.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 34 Posts