RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does Alfa OBD have an option to constantly show the current gear of the tranny on the dash? I can engage this by tapping on the + or - gear selector on the steering wheel but would like the current gear to display all the time. If you know it is possible you must also know where to find it on Alfa OBD so be sure to share that as well. Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
5,469 Posts
does Alfa OBD have an option to constantly show the current gear of the tranny on the dash? I can engage this by tapping on the + or - gear selector on the steering wheel but would like the current gear to display all the time. If you know it is possible you must also know where to find it on Alfa OBD so be sure to share that as well. Thanks in advance!
I've seen a setting I think will work for this, let me look again.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks Bounty Hunter. I'll get it changed tomorrow! You're the man.

Reactions: Bounty Hunter

·
Registered
78 Posts
I have it with my GDE trans tune. I don't know of any reason why it wouldn't work with a trans tune.
Did you get GDE to add that file....or whatever they do, to not have the + and - buttons actually shift? Or does it always just show which gear you're in and you can shift with the buttons.... say from 3rd gear up two steps to 5th....not that you would do that.

I'm going to have to try this...that's the only thing I missed after getting the GDE tune. Seeing which gear i was in.

·
Premium Member
5,469 Posts
Did you get GDE to add that file....or whatever they do, to not have the + and - buttons actually shift? Or does it always just show which gear you're in and you can shift with the buttons.... say from 3rd gear up two steps to 5th....not that you would do that.

I'm going to have to try this...that's the only thing I missed after getting the GDE tune. Seeing which gear i was in.
I had GDE set up both in my trans tune, the gear indicator and the manual shift control.

·
Premium Member
5,469 Posts
Nice. While a little thing, that "double" tap on the shifter control to get out of "D" visual always bugged me.
Does that trick change that drive cycle to show the gear? I've never heard of it. I've only heard of the double tap to get back to auto from manual shifting.

·
Registered
2021 Ram 2500 Tradesman Crew Cab 6.7 L Turbo Cummins 3.73
1,484 Posts
Does that trick change that drive cycle to show the gear? I've never heard of it. I've only heard of the double tap to get back to auto from manual shifting.
You can hold the + for a second and it goes back to "D" from whatever gear your in.

·
Registered
2021 Ram 2500 Tradesman Crew Cab 6.7 L Turbo Cummins 3.73
1,484 Posts
I knew of this, but you said to get out of Drive. I don't understand that.
When in "D", it takes one tap to get out of D, and then another tap to drop a gear. I would like to always have the gear selector always on and showing what gear it's in, and what gear is the highest. So it always takes at least a "double tap" to get to 5th from 6th.

Sorry I wasn't clear.

·
Premium Member
2014 RAM Big Horn 4x4 Quad diesel
164 Posts
I had a 2019 5th Gen 1500 and could set the display to always show the gear number when in Drive.

I’d asked GDE about displaying the current gear number in Drive for my 2014 ED Longhorn with the EPA engine and trans tune. They said it could not be done on the 4th gen gauge.

·
Premium Member
5,469 Posts
I had a 2019 5th Gen 1500 and could set the display to always show the gear number when in Drive.

I’d asked GDE about displaying the current gear number in Drive for my 2014 ED with the EPA engine and trans tune. They said it could not be done on the 4th gen gauge.
GDE did it for my '16, so not sure about this.

You can do it yourself using the AlfaOBD app.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts