RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Vendor
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

Running boards and side steps are some of the most popular products among our customers. There are so many options on the market available for Ram trucks that sometimes it's really hard to make a choice. The number of finishes, styles, and designs is overwhelming, so we decided to make a brief summary of the most important things that you should pay attention to when searching the new steps for your truck in the new video shopping guide!

Watch our new video guide dedicated to these accessories and get all the information to make up the right choice!

In this video we review:
  • Running board styles
  • Common materials
  • The most reliable finishes
  • Special features
  • Installation methods
Want to see what do we have for your truck?

Let us know if you have any other questions!

·
Registered
4,508 Posts
would be nice to hear a bit about how the various materials hold up for those of us in the North with lots of salt and other de-icing chemicals used on the roads and tens of pounds of accumulated Ice and snow hanging off the running boards. Can the electrically powered retractable board really work in the Northland?

·
Super Moderator
717 Posts
On my last RAM I had a pair of boards from MAAP, unfortunately no longer in business.(I couldn't find them anymore). They were on the truck for the 11.5 years I owned it, no corrosion at all and were made of stainless with polymer end caps. One of the nice features were there was about 1 1/2 inch gap between the boards and rocker panels, virtually no build up of sand/salt in winter. This means no rubbing going on in there to rub off the paint. If you're going to keep the truck for a while, I'd avoid the steel ones, even when coated, the corrosion starts fast. Any amount of gravel bouncing up on back roads peppers the underneath and before you see it, rust and begun and won't stop. My 2 cents worth.

·
Registered
4,508 Posts
On my last RAM I had a pair of boards from MAAP, unfortunately no longer in business.(I couldn't find them anymore). They were on the truck for the 11.5 years I owned it, no corrosion at all and were made of stainless with polymer end caps. One of the nice features were there was about 1 1/2 inch gap between the boards and rocker panels, virtually no build up of sand/salt in winter. This means no rubbing going on in there to rub off the paint. If you're going to keep the truck for a while, I'd avoid the steel ones, even when coated, the corrosion starts fast. Any amount of gravel bouncing up on back roads peppers the underneath and before you see it, rust and begun and won't stop. My 2 cents worth.
Agreed. My old 2000 Dodge had stainless steel polished tubular types with a top platform of ribbed and anodized aluminum and they still looked great after 14 years.. I can't remember the brand for sure, perhaps ultimate boards? Don't see anything like them anywhere now. The paint is starting to bubble in a few places on my factory runningboards after 5 winters. All start at the end where the end cap is applied. I expect an original coating flaw on the sharp corner or damage when the caps were added and corrosion creeping under the coating. I am not sure what the Longhorn boards are made of.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts