RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I do side work with a small kubota farm tractor. I've towed with this tractor/trailer combo for over a year (but only a couple of times with the Ecodiesel) without a single problem until yesterday. I got in a hurry after a rototilling job, and I didn't get the tractor loaded right. I normally run the tractor right up to the front of the trailer, with the bucket touching, or within an inch of touching, the front of the trailer bed rail. But, yesterday, I got in a hurry and left about a 10" gap between the tractor bucket and the front of the trailer. Add to that the fact that my rototiller is somewhat new to me, it is my heaviest implement, and I normally haul with either a lighter mower, or a much lighter blade, on the back of the tractor.
So basically, I got way too much weight way too far back on the trailer. Started going down the state road about 50 mph, and all of a sudden, the trailer started to fish-tail out of control. I acted quick, hit the brake controller HARD which brought the trailer back behind the truck (skidded the tires), and pulled off the road. I re-adjusted the tractor (plus cleaned out my shorts, lol) and then it was fine. The fact that 10 inches makes such a difference tells me I may want to rethink how I load this tractor...I might start putting the tractor on backwards, at least when I have both the bucket and the rototiller ( I have weighted rear tires too, so there is a lot of weight in the back).

Attachments

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
wow close call
Yeah...I've towed all my life and I've never had a trailer do that!

On another note, the ED tows fantastic. I was surprised with the acceleration I get towing. I guess I was expecting the truck to be a dog, but I've pulled out into traffic on the nearby freeway, and I have no problem getting up to speed. Trailer with the tractor (and rototiller) weighs about 6500 lbs total.

·
Super Moderator
2015 Outdoorsman EcoD CC w/6.4' 4X4
4,349 Posts
Good to hear nothing bad happened. Your right about repositioning the tractor with the tiller on it, I'd try to get those closer above the trailer axles.
I made the mistake of not checking a golf cart loaded inside a trailer, it wasn't locked in place. Scared the crap out of me as I thought someone hit the trailer. Luckily I wasn't go far or fast, it could turned out different if I hit the freeway.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Well I had a trailer incident and I wasn’t even towing. Returning from getting my motorcycle serviced during the rainy season so decided to trailer (Interstate 7x14 enclosed) it to my mechanic. When I got home I need to go elsewhere so dropped the trailer in the street at the curb in front of my house. I live on a hill. The trailer was aimed downhill and has a jackstand in the front with no wheel. The jackstand on a 4 x 10 chunk of wood keeps it from moving. I returned from my errand and decided to put the bike in the garage without hooking the trailer to my truck. I lowered the ramp door, got on the bike, started it, and began to back out of the trailer. This is where it got interesting. I heard a strange noise and felt something very weird that in the moment could not put my finger on the problem. Something told me to look behind me. I saw the ground moving in soon realized that the trailer was moving. As I was backing the motorcycle out the weight of the bike caused the jackstand to lift and the trailer started heading downhill. My next thought was what might happen if it made it to the bottom of the hill onto a cross street. I must’ve thought there was nothing I could do about it because I was planning on bailing out. Just as I was about to lay the bike down and jump out the back the trailer veered up my neighbors driveway, up onto their lawn on the right side of the street until the left tires made contact with the curb and stopped the trailer. I then realized that it was the end of “Mr. Toad’s Wild Ride.” Thank goodness I didn’t hit anything and my bike was OK. The only damage to the trailer was to the rubber bump stops on the door that was resting on the ground. I made a note to self in all bold letters NEVER UNLOAD THE TRAILER UNLESS HOOKED UP TO MY RIG. You can see in this video why I was so happy with the outcome...My motorcycle

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I had a trailer incident and I wasn’t even towing. Returning from getting my motorcycle serviced during the rainy season so decided to trailer (Interstate 7x14 enclosed) it to my mechanic. When I got home I need to go elsewhere so dropped the trailer in the street at the curb in front of my house. I live on a hill. The trailer was aimed downhill and has a jackstand in the front with no wheel. The jackstand on a 4 x 10 chunk of wood keeps it from moving. I returned from my errand and decided to put the bike in the garage without hooking the trailer to my truck. I lowered the ramp door, got on the bike, started it, and began to back out of the trailer. This is where it got interesting. I heard a strange noise and felt something very weird that in the moment could not put my finger on the problem. Something told me to look behind me. I saw the ground moving in soon realized that the trailer was moving. As I was backing the motorcycle out the weight of the bike caused the jackstand to lift and the trailer started heading downhill. My next thought was what might happen if it made it to the bottom of the hill onto a cross street. I must’ve thought there was nothing I could do about it because I was planning on bailing out. Just as I was about to lay the bike down and jump out the back the trailer veered up my neighbors driveway, up onto their lawn on the right side of the street until the left tires made contact with the curb and stopped the trailer. I then realized that it was the end of “Mr. Toad’s Wild Ride.” Thank goodness I didn’t hit anything and my bike was OK. The only damage to the trailer was to the rubber bump stops on the door that was resting on the ground. I made a note to self in all bold letters NEVER UNLOAD THE TRAILER UNLESS HOOKED UP TO MY RIG. You can see in this video why I was so happy with the outcome...My motorcycle
Holy Crap! Talk about a feeling of helplessness, that had to be scary!

I park my trailer on a slope, and a couple of times it's tried to start rolling before I block the tires, but nothing like that PapaCap!

·
Registered
899 Posts
For all of us, " I got in a hurry" always spells trouble.

PapaCap,
Nice ride - beautiful bike for sure.
I had a similar experience while working on my first trailered boat In my garage. I was laying on my back clear up at the bow under the bow cover and heard and felt a couple of strange movements. By the time I crawled out to see what's going on the boat was on its way down the driveway. Luckily, like you, the boat stopped across the street in the neighbor's upslope driveway.

·
Registered
4,291 Posts
PapaCap , beautiful Bike (y)
and lucky outcome timmy ,
we have a saying in french that translates to '' lucky in your unluckyness ''.

·
Registered
292 Posts
A haul a kubota tractor also. Sometimes I set the front bucket on the front rail to get it forward enough. Mine has a backhoe attachment and sometimes I take a mower or tiller along too.
That’s a nice Rune you have there and would be a shame to scratch that collector item up. Not many of those made for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
158 Posts
I have a small dent in the middle of my bumper and scrape marks on my trailer hitch to remind me not to rush when I'm hooking up or unhooking. Loading a side by side with the tongue not engaged on the ball turns the trailer into a very big (and scary) seesaw. 😄

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
My tractor/loader/backhoe doesn't weigh much (estimated 2,889 lbs), but my equipment trailer has the axles positioned towards the rear of the trailer, which make carrying loads really smooth. When the trailer axle(s) are more centered is when there seems to be more problems with balancing loads.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts