RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm getting a 2019, identical to my 2014. It's on order, and I want to GDE tune it. Are the ECM's the same on all classic models? Can I put my 2014 GDE tuned ECM in the 2019 and just change the injector codes and VIN with Alpha OBD and vice versa with the 2014?

Also, the 2019 Laramie with the 8.4 inch screen doesn't have GPS, but can I enable it with the Alpha OBD? I do realize 2019's require a bypass cable to make any changes with Alpha OBD, just not sure what can be changed.

·
Super Moderator
3,978 Posts
You should be able to swap the Exams if a way can be found to change the VIN and injector codes. It maybe worth getting an ECM for your '14.
Unfortunately with the '18-'19 trucks with the 8.4 you can't enable the GPS/navigation. The radio in there is a UAS, you would need to swap that to a UAQ. It will be a Plug-N-Play swap. People are still looking to buy UAS radios so selling it shouldn't be a problem to recoup some of the money spent on the UAQ.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No, unfortunately air suspension isn't available anymore on classic orders :-( I would have for sure otherwise as I like that feature a lot. Definitely going to need airbags now as I always have 1200-1500lbs in the bed.

·
Registered
13 Posts
So I'm getting a 2019, identical to my 2014. It's on order, and I want to GDE tune it. Are the ECM's the same on all classic models? Can I put my 2014 GDE tuned ECM in the 2019 and just change the injector codes and VIN with Alpha OBD and vice versa with the 2014?

Also, the 2019 Laramie with the 8.4 inch screen doesn't have GPS, but can I enable it with the Alpha OBD? I do realize 2019's require a bypass cable to make any changes with Alpha OBD, just not sure what can be changed.
Were you able to swap the ECU without issue?

·
Registered
3,631 Posts
I would think his 2019 ECM would be looking from data of the DEF quality sensor ,
but his 2014 DEF tank does not have a DEF quality sensor in it
( 2014 and 2015 have NO DEF quality sensor )
so the 2019 ECM will throw a code , once installed in the 2014 .
some members have claimed to have cloned complete tune with Alfa OBD ,
maybe better to insert complete tune from 2014 into the 2019 , and change VIN and injector codes,
of course some will scream that this saves him $800 ........

·
Registered
71 Posts
Based on the few comments made on the topic, I doubt GDE with think particularly highly of you using your GDE tuned ECM in multiple trucks.

If ethically you have not qualms however, your 2014 ECM can be cloned for a "spare" GDE ECM. Once you have a spare, its your prerogative as to what you do with it. A full ECM cannot be cloned with AlfaOBD. It requires specialized tools and removal of the ECM. I have successfully cloned several ECM images in a (successful) effort to attain a stock spare for my wife's Jeep GC.

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
I would think his 2019 ECM would be looking from data of the DEF quality sensor ,
but his 2014 DEF tank does not have a DEF quality sensor in it
( 2014 and 2015 have NO DEF quality sensor )
so the 2019 ECM will throw a code , once installed in the 2014 .
I think you have it backwards. The '14 ECM will not be looking for the DEF quality sensor in the '19, so even though the '19 has the sensor, the '14 ECM should not throw a code because there's no error if the ECM isn't looking. Now if it were a '19 ECM going in a '14, the tuning would be looking for the sensor and not find it, thus throwing the error code.
Based on the few comments made on the topic, I doubt GDE with think particularly highly of you using your GDE tuned ECM in multiple trucks.
GDE's public admonishment was towards customers cloning their tune and distributing it, presumably for a profit. One customer using their ECM and tune how they see fit, even in subsequent trucks still owned by them, is a different animal.

·
Registered
3,631 Posts
Sorry for my bad description of the facts , when I wrote the 2019 ECM would throw a code ,
it was after he swapped the ECMs , because he wants to run his GDE tune in his new truck ,
so we were sayimg the same thing , only I was saying it with a bad French accent ,,,, 🐸 - 🇫🇷OG
---
and " spot on " , with OP using his GDE tune in his next truck ,
if GDE were still doing business like before , they charged
$50 to change the vehicule info that the tune would be used in , so
I guess Mitch is not doing anything immoral in using the Hot tune he purchased
and moving it from his old truck to his new truck .

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have not done this as of now, as I haven't picked up the new truck yet. I have purchased a used ECM to put in the 2014, which will then be going to the dealer to get numerous recalls done that I have ignored for the past 5 years. They will set the vin and injectors in the used ECM and I will send my 2014 to GDE to update for installation into my new 2019, leaving me the stock 2019 ECM for backup on dealer visits etc.

I have a lot invested in GDE already with high idle, turbo braking, Regen message etc. So transferring should be considerable savings, over buying a new tune, while obtaining a stock ECM which I didn't do with my last tune.

Fingers crossed!

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
I have purchased a used ECM to put in the 2014, which will then be going to the dealer to get numerous recalls done that I have ignored for the past 5 years. They will set the vin and injectors in the used ECM
Has the dealer already advised they will set up the ECM with VIN and injector codes?

·
Registered
71 Posts
My bad, when I read you post originally I thought you were keeping both trucks and was trying to figure out how to switch ECM's between trucks as your situation needed. Still got that holiday fog in my brain.

To confirm what everyone else has already said, the GDE tune should work in the newer truck without issue. I tested a 2015 GDE tune in my 2017 truck for a couple of weeks with no issue.

·
Registered
3,631 Posts
That's how I read it too , so he could keep his GDE tune , just change the truck info
inside his precious tuned ECM .
the 2019 ECM in the 2014 would have caused the troubles , reason why he is getting
another ECM ,that he will get the dealer to flash , thing he could have done himself with alfaOBD, if he
got a used 2014 or 2015 ECM.
-----
thanks for the confirmation gtsav2006 .
A 2014 / 2015 ECM working whitout issues in later models ....COOL .(y)
it's one thing to speculate that it wil work , but better when some one confirms it ,
I'll use links to your post whenever someone asks the same question.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts