RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
I think if you change out some of the speakers to a higher quality you’ll experience a small increase in overall sound quality in the cabin. Personally I wouldn’t change unless it was ALL of the speakers and sub. Any sound technicians out there?

·
Registered
4,571 Posts
The front doors reportedly have crossovers or whatever it is that limits their frequency range. Most report not much benefit from changing them out. More benefit in changing out the 3 dash speakers and the rear doors. Some even swap out the tweeters in the rear headliner.

I changed out the dash speakers, rear doors, and sub. The stock alpine speakers are cheap.

Reactions: Eugene

·
Super Moderator
2015 Outdoorsman EcoD CC w/6.4' 4X4
4,585 Posts
As Bounty pointed out, with the Alpine speaker system the speakers are frequency controlled through the amplifier.
I'd you wanted to go to a component type speakers, you would have to remove the factory amp and install your own to run all the speakers. That would include the subwoofer under the back seat as that same factory amp powers that too.
Mopar does offer the 77KICK42 which is a plug and play replacement for all three dash speakers and the door 6x9's.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Bounty Hunter, I’m sure you probably posted a summary of what you did but would you mind reiterating it here? I’d be interested in knowing what speakers you used, sub, and if you feel the factory Alpine amp is worthy of the speakers you installed. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
4,571 Posts
Bounty Hunter, I’m sure you probably posted a summary of what you did but would you mind reiterating it here?
Kicker speakers in the dash. Kicker 6x9 in the rear doors. The Pioneer sub was a drop-in replacement in the factory location. Added some polyfill to the sub box.

For me it was a vast improvement and the factory amp works just fine.

Reactions: PapaCap

·
Registered
168 Posts
I went with Infinity Reference
  • 2-way 6x9s in the front doors
  • 3-way 6x9s in the rear doors
  • 3.5" full range speakers in the dash corners and center dash

·
Registered
181 Posts
I went with Infinity Reference
  • 2-way 6x9s in the front doors
  • 3-way 6x9s in the rear doors
  • 3.5" full range speakers in the dash corners and center dash
I like the way the stock system sounds but it does not have enough power, the set up that you put in your truck does it sound close to the factory set up ?

·
Registered
168 Posts
I like the way the stock system sounds but it does not have enough power, the set up that you put in your truck does it sound close to the factory set up ?
I think so. These speakers make the sound more crisp with a touch more bass (but nothing crazy). I've done this speaker swap on a couple Chargers and now '18 Ram. Loved all of them.

edit: It depends on the music too. I don't listen to very bass-heavy music.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Hey Bravo2, can you provide specific Infinity speaker models used? Thanks in advance. I’ve been an Infinity fan for years. Have a pair of Kappa 8.1 in my main home system. Love em!

·
Registered
168 Posts
Hey Bravo2, can you provide specific Infinity speaker models used? Thanks in advance. I’ve been an Infinity fan for years. Have a pair of Kappa 8.1 in my main home system. Love em!
Sure thing, all were Infinity Reference series
Front: 9632IX
Rear: 9633IX
Dash: 3032cfx

For plug and play hookups:
Front and Rear Door Speaker Wiring harness: Metra 72-6514
Dash speaker wiring harness: Metra 72-7902

If I remember correctly the wiring harnesses for the dash speakers were really hard to find by themselves, so I bought the dash speakers from Crutchfield and the harnesses came included.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I’m an audio engineer by trade and I think the factory Alpine system sounds phenomenal. You can improve your audio by using a higher bitrate input signal, direct wired versus Bluetooth, and using a high quality DAC. The rest of the sound can be controlled using your in dash EQ.

The specs on those Kicker “3-way” speakers are an absolute joke. You need a tweeter, a midrange compression horn (also called a woofer) and a subwoofer. Either you feed that setup as one with an internal passive crossover, or split it at the amplifier with a stand-alone crossover. Otherwise, you’re just wasting money.

·
Registered
432 Posts
B6802378-F19E-45F8-9FFE-48415CB810CA.jpeg
WithoutATrace, What if I made a connection from my iPhone through my Dragonfly Red DAC to either the USB or AUX input? Which would be better?

·
Registered
51 Posts
View attachment 86104
WithoutATrace, What if I made a connection from my iPhone through my Dragonfly Red DAC to either the USB or AUX input? Which would be better?
Are you coming out of a laptop? Or some other device? The Dragonfly is okay as far as DACs go, but it is still susceptible to things like ground loop hum and harmonic distortion from being direct connected to other electronics, especially in laptops.
Honestly, the factory Alpine system does roll off quite a bit of bass and overemphasizes the high frequencies. I compensate for this on the EQ by giving about three bars more on low, and one bar less on high.

·
Registered
432 Posts
“from my iPhone through my Dragonfly Red DAC to either the USB or AUX input”

·
Registered
432 Posts
BTW, for an in-line (no external power required) small and portable DAC I believe the Dragonfly Red is an awesome DAC.

·
Registered
51 Posts
BTW, for an in-line (no external power required) small and portable DAC I believe the Dragonfly Red is an awesome DAC.
It is, and they have the price to back it up too. The problem I have with it is that it’s still a consumer audio device. It costs more than some good professional DACs that output a clean isolated and balanced signal instead of just a plain old aux line. But like most consumers, convenience sells more than function.
Short of spending at least $2000-3000, it will be your best bet in making things sound great. 👍🏿

·
Registered
432 Posts
So if I connected my iPhone through my Dragonfly Red DAC to either the USB or AUX input shown in the pic above (located inside console box) Which would be better?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts