RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2015 Outdoorsman EcoD CC w/6.4' 4X4
4,590 Posts
So if I connected my iPhone through my Dragonfly Red DAC to either the USB or AUX input shown in the pic above (located inside console box) Which would be better?
You would use the AUX input, The USB doesn't handle an analog audio signal your Dragonfly puts out.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Thanks Crash68. Next step is to work with Audioquest to get high grade connectors. I’ll post what they advise.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Audio shop advised me dash only due to amp limitations. Bounty has a nice set up, when in the mood I simply fold the back seat up and expose the thumper.

Previously had the Beats in my 300S...the Alpine stock is far superior to my wifes Bose system in the Enclave. Bose should be embarrassed to have their brand on that sound.

Reactions: grunt98311

·
Registered
433 Posts
Had a great conversation with a technical guy from Audioquest. His opinion was that, with the Alpine system the greatest bang for the buck to that system was to add a Dragonfly DAC. Interestingly, he owns a RAM 1500 Hemi with the Alpine system. The Achilles heel of the situation is that to use an iPhone one MUST use an Apple USB to Lightning adapter as they have a chip in them that allows the iPhone to send the signal downstream. If you use a quality 3.5mm to 3.5mm cord from the Dragonfly to the Aux port in the console (on certain RAM models?) the poorest quality component is the Apple adapter. Be that as it may, the adapter cord is short which minimizes any distortion. He also stated that the Apple Lightning to USB3 adapter is the best choice because in testing has much less problems. I’ve ordered that adapter and will test and report back once tested. For me this endeavor will only cost me $39 for the adapter since I already own a Dragonfly Red. For someone wanting to upgrade their RAM Alpine system with a much better DAC, this may be the most cost effective and easy way to go. I’ll be back shortly with my findings.

·
Registered
65 Posts
@Lucky Dog - I am assuming you plan to add an amplifier to power the subwoofer as the factory head will not have enough power. I just replaced all my speakers and added Clarion XC2410 amp with factory head.. I read a lot of articles and never found anyone that installed subwoofers in the door. The dash and front doors are wired in parallel with 8ohm dash and 4-ohm door. I am by no means an expert but I think you would need to run separate wires for the subwoofers and connect to another speaker to pick up the signal. On a side note, I installed 3.5" two-way dash, 6.5" two-way front door, and 6" x 9" three-way rear door. No matter how I adjust the equalizer or amp the bass rattles the doors. I tried all kinds of vibration control with very little success. I would suggest installing the subwoofer under or behind the rear seat. My system sounds a lot better and I adjusted the amp to play at 30 with no distortion. I am still trying to refine but happy with the upgrade for $400.00

·
Registered
433 Posts
First off, please know that I consider myself an audio/music enthusiast, not an audiophile. I do not work for Audioquest and they have given me nothing. I’m no expert and enjoy music much more for the music than the lyrics. I plugged in my Dragonfly Red DAC (digital to analog converter) between my iPhone 11 Pro Max and the Aux port inside the console box.

Sat in my truck in the garage so it would be very quiet for my test. I played about 20 songs in different genres but each for a specific reason. A few examples were John Mayer “Neon” live, George Michael/Elton John “Don’t let the Sun Go Down on Me”, Johnny Cash “Hurt”, Sam Smith “Writing’s on the Wall”, Brad Paisley & Carrie Underwood “Remind Me”, The Eagles “Take it Easy”, Five for Fighting “100 Years”, Lady Gaga “Your Song” from the Revamp album of Elton‘s hits, Larry Carlton “Smiles and Smiles to Go”, Journey “Faithfully” and “Lights”, plus a bunch more. For each song I first listened via Bluetooth for enough time to get a good feel for the song then started it over via aux (With the DAC). Each song was better with the DAC than without. Some were moderately better but most were phenomenally better. When I played Michael Jackson “Man in the Mirror” via the DAC I got a huge smile on my face. The difference between Bluetooth and the DAC was most evident in this song. Audioquest makes 3 different small, portable DACs. When I bought the Red it was the better of the two offered. Black being the lesser unit. They just released the “Cobalt” version. All are able to have the firmware updated for free via the Audioquest website. If you check out their website you’ll see that the Dragonfly product is primarily intended for headphone use. Obviously you must use plug-in headphones vs wireless. The Dragonfly Red makes my Sennheiser HD600 headphones come alive. I enjoyed the sound of my RAM Alpine system so much better with the Audioquest Dragonfly Red that I may upgrade to the Cobalt version. Prices are $100 for Black, $200 for Red, and $300 for Cobalt. Compared to swapping speakers or going deeper into the Alpine system to get better sound I feel a Dragonfly is the best bang for the buck. AND there is no installation required!

·
Registered
331 Posts
I replaced my OE head unit with a Pioneer system since I had the small cheap screen and I wanted car play for waze. It has more power and 13 band EQ. It has a USB plug for my phone to plug into. So does this Dragonfly create better sound plugging into the USB and plugging the iPhone into it via 3.5 jack?

·
Registered
433 Posts
Yes. Music played via USB or other direct connect (wired) method will provide better quality sound than Bluetooth. Introducing a much higher quality DAC into a system will increase the quality of sound (music) played even more. If you check most “audiophile” systems they include a separate DAC because the one built into a receiver or preamplifier are typically of mediocre quality. If you use an iPhone you’ll need an Apple adapter as it has a chip in it allowing the phone to send the signal (music) through the lightning plug. Not needed with an Android phone.

Reactions: RAM259

·
Registered
483 Posts
The ohms available from Crutchfield
Center dash 2.5 or 4
Dash corners 2.5, 3, 3.5, 4
F door 2.7,3,4
R door 2.5,3,4,6
R headliner 2.5,3,4,6
Under seat 2, 2.3, 2.5, 2.7, 3, 3.5, 3.6, 4

Pick an ohm and make it the same for all the speakers, looks like 4 works.

·
Registered
433 Posts
I’m no audio engineer like WithoutATrace (Re-read his post above) but that totally sounds like guesswork to me. I stand by my write up above that the best bang for the buck AND easiest to implement is using a good quality DAC between your mobile phone and the Alpine system (hard connection, NOT Bluetooth). Buy the Dragonfly on Amazon and if you don’t like it, return it and start monkeying around with speakers. FYI...No installation required for the Dragonfly.

Reactions: Scotty534

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
@Lucky Dog - I am assuming you plan to add an amplifier to power the subwoofer as the factory head will not have enough power. I just replaced all my speakers and added Clarion XC2410 amp with factory head.. I read a lot of articles and never found anyone that installed subwoofers in the door. The dash and front doors are wired in parallel with 8ohm dash and 4-ohm door. I am by no means an expert but I think you would need to run separate wires for the subwoofers and connect to another speaker to pick up the signal. On a side note, I installed 3.5" two-way dash, 6.5" two-way front door, and 6" x 9" three-way rear door. No matter how I adjust the equalizer or amp the bass rattles the doors. I tried all kinds of vibration control with very little success. I would suggest installing the subwoofer under or behind the rear seat. My system sounds a lot better and I adjusted the amp to play at 30 with no distortion. I am still trying to refine but happy with the upgrade for $400.00
It has been a while.
But, no, my intention was to not use an amp.
As it turns out, I replaced all the speakers except the front doors and am pretty happy with the sound, I do wish it had more volume.

I may look at adding an amp at a later date, but have other things to do in the mean time.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The ohms available from Crutchfield
Center dash 2.5 or 4
Dash corners 2.5, 3, 3.5, 4
F door 2.7,3,4
R door 2.5,3,4,6
R headliner 2.5,3,4,6
Under seat 2, 2.3, 2.5, 2.7, 3, 3.5, 3.6, 4

Pick an ohm and make it the same for all the speakers, looks like 4 works.
4 ohm is the typical replacement speaker. I would find out or check the factory head unit output ohm's. Some I believe are 2 ohm, using 4 ohm speakers would result in a big loss of volume

·
Registered
51 Posts
4 ohm is the typical replacement speaker. I would find out or check the factory head unit output ohm's. Some I believe are 2 ohm, using 4 ohm speakers would result in a big loss of volume
This makes absolutely no sense. I think your logic is simply backwards. Ohms is a measure of resistance, not output. Therefore, you cannot “put out” ohms. An amplifier will match its output to the level of ohms it is connected to, including whether it’s in series or parallel. Some can drop to the 2 ohm level, some cannot.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts