RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just received and filled out a survey from FCA about filling my ED with fuel. The survey is intended to determine if the customer base would rather have a smaller fill opening so that one can only use retail nozzles and thereby prevent the possibility of putting gas in by accident.

I always always use the commercial, large volume nozzle because it's faster and that's how I responded to the survey.

·
Super Moderator
3,762 Posts
If I'm not mistaken, gas pump filler necks are smaller that even the retail diesel pump nozzles. I think there trying to decide if they should go back to a filler neck with a cap instead of the capless set up now.
If anything, a locking fuel door cover would be better than a different filler neck.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
There was a question which specifically asked if you wanted the retail nozzle so you couldnt make a mistake....this survey was definitely centered around making that decision.

And I'm pretty sure that the Unleaded nozzle is larger than a retail diesel.

·
Super Moderator
3,762 Posts
And I'm pretty sure that the Unleaded nozzle is larger than a retail diesel.
No they are not..
Retail diesel is larger, semi pumps are also bigger and flow faster than these trucks can take on fuel.

quote from Wikipedia: (also Google gas pumps vs diesel pumps for multiple others)

"Some different types of fuel have specially sized of nozzles to prevent accidentally filling a tank with an incompatible fuel. The nozzle on diesel pumps is supposed to be larger so that it cannot fit into the fillpipe on a vehicle tank designed for gasoline. However, the larger diameter diesel nozzles are not an actual requirement, and many diesel pumps at auto islands have been fitted with standard gasoline nozzles. Also, the nozzle for leaded gasoline is wider than for unleaded, and the fillpipe on vehicles designed for unleaded-only was made narrower to prevent mis-fueling."

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fuel_dispenser

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Crash68,

OK, I stand corrected on the nozzle size but as to the survey, virtually every question I answered on the survey had to do with how often, or when I use commercial pump as opposed to the retail pump and like I said it even asked if I would prefer that they change the filler size so I couldn't accidentally put the wrong stuff in, which would result in not being able to use the commercial pump.

Let's see if someone else gets one and can confirm.

By the way, this is where they may be going and why they said that commercial nozzles wouldn't work.

"Beginning with 2013 vehicles, VW redesigned its fuel fillers to accept only diesel nozzles. Gasoline nozzles are smaller than diesel nozzles. But with one of the new TDI fuel fillers, if a driver tries to insert a gasoline nozzle instead of a diesel nozzle, the fuel tank gate will remain closed."

·
Super Moderator
3,762 Posts
"Beginning with 2013 vehicles, VW redesigned its fuel fillers to accept only diesel nozzles. Gasoline nozzles are smaller than diesel nozzles. But with one of the new TDI fuel fillers, if a driver tries to insert a gasoline nozzle instead of a diesel nozzle, the fuel tank gate will remain closed."
Did a little searching around, sounds like VW's solution was to have a lock out bar stop a smaller gas nozzle from going into the filler neck. It sounds like a good idea if your local gas station(s) use the larger retail diesel nozzles. There is an adapter you can buy so that you can use the smaller "gas" nozzle if that's what the gas station has on the diesel pump or if you want to use semi diesel pumps.
If FCA decides to go to this set up, they should provide the adapter.
I like what's on there now. If FCA want to improve on the fuel filler, like I stated before, make the door remote release from inside the cab.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Hey I'm new to the Ram, but I have the VW TDI. What's up with the no gas cap thing? Can water get in the tank?

·
Super Moderator
714 Posts
No, apparently there's another flap under the top flap that has a drain in between to the outside, that's what I was told. May have to look and confirm. Some of us are using the tank cap from Genos garage or the Mopar tank cap. I use the Mopar one, keeps dust and other little crap from accumulating on the "flipper" and going down the fill tube into the tank.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I had a 2012 VW TDI that was recalled to install the misfueling prevention device. Believe me, you don't want that thing!!! My fueling experience became terrible after having this installed. It would cause fuel pumps to click off like the tank is full on about 25% of fill ups no matter how slow you pumped it.

·
Registered
253 Posts
You know what would be really cool, if they picked a color, and made the nozzle for diesel fuel a different color than the other black handle pumps for the unleaded varieties, maybe like GREEN or something that would really stand out and contrast the black handles..............oh wait,...never mind..;)

·
Registered
437 Posts
Have to agree with Crash68 I'm quite content with the current fuel nozzle and would rather see FCA look towards adapting to a locking fuel door release. Most pumps are coded black for unlead and green for diesel-if not a person should be able to read at least if they have a license.

Bille-I'm curious on a side note you mention always fueling with a commercial large volume pump. If your referencing the large nozzle truck side pumps-how do they work for you? If I use the large nozzle on the truck side I'm never able to pump more than a gallon or two at a time into my tank even pulling the lever around the first click or less without it foaming up although I admit I have only used them a few times when I have no other choice.

·
Super Moderator
714 Posts
You know what would be really cool, if they picked a color, and made the nozzle for diesel fuel a different color than the other black handle pumps for the unleaded varieties, maybe like GREEN or something that would really stand out and contrast the black handles..............oh wait,...never mind..;)
Although it's not standard, gas handles are generally black, and diesel handles are either green or yellow.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Although it's not standard, gas handles are generally black, and diesel handles are either green or yellow.
At most sane stations, yes, but you do find some bonehead stations that don't adhere to that. BP is a good one. Green for gasoline and Yellow for Diesel. Could be easy to cause issues for people who aren't attentive.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts