RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2016, ecodiesel, laramie, 4x4, 3.92, crew cab, long bed, original GDE Tune & GDE Trans Tune
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I noticed a while ago when I would start my truck I would hear a screeching noise like a belt slip. Then I would hear a slight chirping every 30 seconds or so while the truck was running intermittently. I then started noticing some lights in the truck were flickering very slightly and even one side of the overhead lights would be dimmer than the other but only sometimes. I started checking the voltage on the evic and it had always shown 14V while the truck was running not sometimes it shows 13V or it bounces between 13v and 14v. I took it to the dealer and it took forever to get the manager to see all the things that the truck was doing but he eventually said looks like the clutch of the alternator is going bad or is bad. I would run it till the alternator stops. Has anyone else experienced this? Does the dealer suggestion sound legit to anyone? Let me know thoughts or suggestions on how to fix.

My truck is a 2016 laramie 4x4, 3.92 crew cab long bed. I have the original GDE tune and GDE trans tune.

·
Registered
2016, ecodiesel, laramie, 4x4, 3.92, crew cab, long bed, original GDE Tune & GDE Trans Tune
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have 75,000 on it not but it started around 50,000. Mostly highway driving.

·
Administrator
2015 Outdoorsman EcoD CC w/6.4' 4X4
5,703 Posts
I started checking the voltage on the evic and it had always shown 14V while the truck was running not sometimes it shows 13V or it bounces between 13v and 14v. I took it to the dealer and it took forever to get the manager to see all the things that the truck was doing but he eventually said looks like the clutch of the alternator is going bad or is bad.
I'd be Leary of what that manager says, there is no clutch on the alternator. The AC compressor has a clutch.
As for the voltage it can vary with battery state of charge and temperature. You'll usually see slightly lower voltages as it gets warmer.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Prior to hearing the screech at startup my truck always ran at a constant 14v on the evic. What would make the screech and intermittent chirp sound? I'm also noticing on my third brake light which had to be replaced due to the factory allowing the wire to lay across the seal and caused leaking, the white light on one side when you open the door doesn't light up. This problem is really blowing my mind.

·
Premium Member
3,167 Posts
I don't think your alternator is bad, your belth and tensioner maybe. Also, there are 3 light bulbs in the top mounted light. They can go bad. sounds like it's time to change em. I wouldn't stress too much. if the truck is starting fine, your good. Your truck uses an electric powersteering system If the alternator was indeed bad, you would notice that REALLY fast. your battery would die quickly.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There is definitely something up with the electrical system in the truck as lights slightly dim at idle, the driver side overhead light is dimmer than the other side when lights are turned on, and now the passenger side of the third brake light doesn't light up when lights go on. I don't think the lights are bad. Could the bearing in the alternator pulley be going bad and causing the belt not to be fully engaged or turning at 100%? It has to be something with the alternator if it always showed 14v on evic before noise started and now shows 13v, fluctuating between 13v/14v, or sometimes just 14v.

·
Administrator
5,703 Posts
Being your truck is a '16, is the battery original? You might want to replace that, load testing doesn't always tell the whole story if a battery is going bad. The OEM battery is a AGM type 800 CCA. If you live in a warm state a low starting voltage problem can take longer to show up. Check the static voltage of the battery after sitting off overnight, if your not around 12.5V it's replacement time.
The tensioner and belt I another thing that could be the problem.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Being your truck is a '16, is the battery original? You might want to replace that, load testing doesn't always tell the whole story if a battery is going bad. The OEM battery is a AGM type 800 CCA. If you live in a warm state a low starting voltage problem can take longer to show up. Check the static voltage of the battery after sitting off overnight, if your not around 12.5V it's replacement time.
The tensioner and belt I another thing that could be the problem.
No not original battery, was changed about 2 years ago. I live in south Florida so yeah the heat eats batteries up. I will check that but it just is very odd all this started when the noise started so that is what makes me think this is an alternator/power output issue.

·
Premium Member
3,167 Posts
There is definitely something up with the electrical system in the truck as lights slightly dim at idle, the driver side overhead light is dimmer than the other side when lights are turned on, and now the passenger side of the third brake light doesn't light up when lights go on. I don't think the lights are bad. Could the bearing in the alternator pulley be going bad and causing the belt not to be fully engaged or turning at 100%? It has to be something with the alternator if it always showed 14v on evic before noise started and now shows 13v, fluctuating between 13v/14v, or sometimes just 14v.
nothing in the alternator could be going bad that prevents it from engaging. If there is any differential in speed between the belt and the Alt pulley you will really hear that sucker screaming.

My voltage occasionally fluctuates from 13-14v. I have no electrical issues. I'd check your bulbs, you may not think the lights are bad, but until you pull them and put a continuity tester on it or check the voltage at the plug you are guessing and chasing potentially non-existent issues.

As for the overhead light, They do go bad. not often, but they do. Get a volt meter out and start testing.

·
Registered
430 Posts
The alternator has an overrun pulley on it…it will allow the alternator to spin faster than the belt. Sounds silly, but it is a thing and I’m pretty sure our trucks have them.

I had to replace one on a 2009 Caliber, it was making noise. Good chance you need to replace that pulley.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'd be Leary of what that manager says, there is no clutch on the alternator. The AC compressor has a clutch.
As for the voltage it can vary with battery state of charge and temperature. You'll usually see slightly lower voltages as it gets warmer.
Newer model vehicles do have a clutch pulley system installed on the alternator. In fact, as of 2020, the 3.0 Ecodiesel has an internal, electronically controlled clutch. They make for a highly dynamic charging system, but they're expensive to replace.

·
Administrator
5,703 Posts
Newer model vehicles do have a clutch pulley system installed on the alternator. In fact, as of 2020, the 3.0 Ecodiesel has an internal, electronically controlled clutch. They make for a highly dynamic charging system, but they're expensive to replace.
An alternator output is controlled by varying the field voltage based on feedback from the IBS. There's no need or use for a clutch to control the charging system. There may be an overrun bearing so the internals can spin faster than the engine.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Hi: PerfoDodge... What's the alternative?
Dieseldragon North shore of Lake Erie.

·
Premium Member
3,214 Posts
@RCK721, did you ever figure out your problem?

Reactions: 97hmcs

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Latest Update

I still get a screeching sound when the starter is turning over but no chirp every 30 seconds or so, that has stopped. I still have lighting issues and noticed more since the post was created. The overhead light that you can push to turn on for the driver side is almost always dimmer than the passenger side. Sometimes that light is as bright but 99% of the time its like half the brightness. I bought a boat a year ago and now notice that the driver side tail light on the trailer doesn't come on 99% of the time. It comes on every once in a while. The last thing that has recently happened was I pulled out the HID low beam light kit I had installed and went back to standard halogens. I noticed the driver side headlight is half the brightness of the passenger side. To many weird light issues all on the driver side of the vehicle to think its a coincidence. Anyone got any ideas to fix this cause its driving me nuts? I have check the battery when off and its at 12.4V, checked when running its 13.9V, checked the few grounds I could find and they are all good. I just cant figure this out. Very odd that this just started happening after several years of owning and the only changes were adding the HID lights for the low beams. Can anyone help?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts