RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '16 Ram ED w/ 71k has low voltage issues. Sometimes it charges, sometimes it will not. Thought it was battery, it is not. Put in a new Alternator ( from O'reillys , 230 Amp), worked for about 4 days now,, it is in battery saver mode and the volts are 11. It was suggested the PCM may need replacing. Any tips for a mild weekend mechanic?

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Possibly could try pulling fuses overnight until you find the circuit that is sucking it down.

Reactions: Dansecoram

·
Super Moderator
2015 Outdoorsman EcoD CC w/6.4' 4X4
4,773 Posts
I wonder if it's the Intelligent Battery Sensor, it's mounted off the negative battery terminal. It feeds information on battery charge status to the ECM/PCM

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
IF you have a volt meter. you can connect the battery in series w the meter to measure DC current. see how much is being pulled when the truck is off. Be sure to disable the underhood light.

you can pull fuses one by one to see where the biggest draw is. Its most likely the battery though.

·
Registered
4,844 Posts
Sounds to me like it could be the voltage regulator but I have no idea how that is handled on these trucks. When the truck is running and at 1500 on 2000 rpms what does the voltmeter on the dash say. My 2014 only read whole volts but when the battery was reallly low it would show 15 volts and presume that was a round up from 14.5 or so. If OP has a voltmeter he can test actual voltage at the battery. Try it first with everything off then turn the headlights and AC or heater on full and see if it maintains the voltage. If so and it is 14 or so volts then it seems likely it is charging properly.

Seems easier to ensure it is charging properly before trying to chase down stray leakage. That said I don't recall many alternator or charging problems on this forum.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts