RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Curious to see if anyone’s put an amsoil auxiliary oil filter on their truck. I’ve been looking into them all day, and wouldn’t seem like a bad idea (I don’t trust the paper cartridge filter, and additional filtration down to 2micron sounds worth the 300$ to me.

If anyone’s had any experience with this kit, or a similar kit, I’d appreciate the input.

https://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-product/filters-and-by-pass-systems/by-pass/filters-and-mounts/universal-dual-remote-bypass-system/?code=BMK23-EA&zo=5931#fullDescription

Additionally, has anyone heard of a caterpillar fuel filter kit for our trucks?

Regards,

Dave

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
When I first got my truck, I contacted OPS - Oil Purification Systems about a bypass filter since I already had their product on the big truck in my avatar. It looked like the big one in this pic:

They told me that they had been trying to figure something out, but they just couldn't figure out "where" to mount it. So whether AMSOIL or another brand, that is the real problem that you're dealing with. There's just no room for it.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When I first got my truck, I contacted OPS - Oil Purification Systems about a bypass filter since I already had their product on the big truck in my avatar. It looked like the big one in this pic:

They told me that they had been trying to figure something out, but they just couldn't figure out "where" to mount it. So whether AMSOIL or another brand, that is the real problem that you're dealing with. There's just no room for it.
I was thinking I could fit it on the driver side, possibly mounted on the frame. I’ll definitely check out that company though, thanks!

Dave

·
Registered
4,402 Posts
Curious to see if anyone’s put an amsoil auxiliary oil filter on their truck. I’ve been looking into them all day, and wouldn’t seem like a bad idea (I don’t trust the paper cartridge filter, and additional filtration down to 2micron sounds worth the 300$ to me.

If anyone’s had any experience with this kit, or a similar kit, I’d appreciate the input.

https://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-product/filters-and-by-pass-systems/by-pass/filters-and-mounts/universal-dual-remote-bypass-system/?code=BMK23-EA&zo=5931#fullDescription

Regards,

Dave
This forum has discussed this several times in the past. You should be able to find those threads. That said I wonder if you can provide any data or sound logic for your statement "(I don’t trust the paper cartridge filter". I am not aware of any real evidence indicating that a paper cartridge filter is not adequate for service in light duty trucks and automobiles.

I am not arguing that properly designed bypass filtration cannot do a better job than a full flow filter, regardless of whether it is paper or synthetic. The key to me is properly designed and what is the purpose of better if the factory filter is adequate? Finding a source for the feed of a bypass filter that you are sure doesn't starve other parts of the engine of lubrication on a modern engine is an issue for me. Factory OEM filtration from all makers have generally provided excellent engine life with today's engine metallurgy and synthetic high spec oil. These light duty engines are not like heavy truck engines and the basic structure of the engine and the vehicles they are installed in are not million mile devices. A semi tractor is.

One of our members that tows for a living with his truck had an engine problem at something greater than 300,000 miles and a detailed inspection of the engine found cracks in the block and/or heads which is a good indication that the fatigue life of the basic engine components were used up. AS best I know he used the factory filtration.

Anyhow, my warning is be careful and ensure you aren't robbing oil flow for a bypass filter that should be going somewhere else in the engine. Modern designed engines like ours in these days of fuel economy challenges do not have the overdesign in systems like the engines of the past have had.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I checked with an Amsoil rep who I have dealt with for years and his comment was that finding a suitable location for mounting was the challenge, so you won't find an 'ecodiesel' solution from Amsoil as yet. We all have x amount of money for maintaining and improving our vehicles, and like howie I'm inclined to think getting my oil filtered to a greater degree of cleanliness over and above that by using the stock OEM filter including changing it at 75% of FCA's recommended interval combined with the GDE EGR shutoff is not a worthwile effort. I feel I am getting ample insurance from an oil cleanliness perspective with a good filter, early changes(necessary? my call) and the GDE tune keeping the oil near golden. I have often wondered what micron level would be necessary to remove soot particles from a stock truck fill, but I won't rock the boat as many on this forum feel that soot in the oil of a diesel is not a known contributing factor to engine failure or lack of longevity. Consider it unmentioned.

Like Bounty, I'm leaning towards an oil cooler as if I am diligent on my maintenance and am able to get past the 300,000 mile watermark set by Vern, I'd hate to have my engine crap the bed from that failure. The oil cooler doesn't appear to be common failure other than some during initial production so this is likely a nominal risk. However, the lower temps may reduce the stressors of a block subject to extreme temperature variations, contributing to the heating/cooling fatigue howie mentions. I've mentioned 3 of our many contributing members who have provided solid, personal experiences on this forum. It really is a great place to be a member of. Honorable mention to Cap and everyone else I missed!

·
Registered
2,268 Posts

Regards,

Dave
Why don't you trust the paper cartridge? Of all the other issues with this truck, we have never seen an oem or ecoguard filter fail... Plus all the UOA have been showing that the stock filters work well.

·
Registered
615 Posts
A GDE tune will keep your oil a golden color for 7500 miles plus , if you can run a GDE tune much simpler safer and probably less conspicuous for a dealership to deny warranty....
GDE Tune keeps my oil golden brown with 10,000 mile changes. Blackstone Lab oil testing shows that the drop in filters do a great job. Even the cheap made in Korea ones. Realize, also we have a tiny 3L motor with 10.5 qt's of oil. Compare with the Cummins 6.7L with 12 qts.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Another owner in search of a problem for his solution.
Not at all, I’m merely trying to get the most out of my truck.

If I can pay $300 and have the truck engine last longer, even another 20k Miles, why wouldn’t I?

I’ve been considering the gde tune, I plan to delete the truck after this whole settlement thing blows over.

Dave

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Regards,

Dave
Why don't you trust the paper cartridge? Of all the other issues with this truck, we have never seen an oem or ecoguard filter fail... Plus all the UOA have been showing that the stock filters work well.
Id much rather see a synthetic material, or a screw on filter. I’m sure it’s sound enough, after all the engineers make the big bucks for a reason. But as far as peace of mind goes, an oddball filter on a new engine with a not so solid history......I’d pay more for peace of mind.

·
Registered
3,745 Posts
You can put a bypass filter on this engine without affecting oil pressure to anything critical. Put a T block on one of the sensors near the oil filter for the feed line, run the return to the oil fill cap.

Mounting location requires a little more work.

I might install one after the AEM.

·
Registered
134 Posts

Regards,

Dave
I don't know if you have the GDE tune but if longevity is your goal like everybody else say's step 1 needs to be GDE tune I don't see anything else being more important to engine life than cleaning up Rams sloppy tune. A person can be as anal as they want to be with the oil, GDE Tune + 5w-40 T6 oil will take you about as far as you can get before rebuild time in my opinion (maybe 450,000 - 500,000 miles. My Rx for best longevity would be GDE Tune(software) while you can still get it, Shell T6 5w-40 oil , OEM filters and do oil analysis with oil changes use https://www.hotshotsecret.com/shop/everyday-diesel-treatment/. Old School what your talking about was called a LuberFiner filter or bypass filter designed to take about 5% of the oil flow filter it slower but finer and piss it back into the oil pan, biggest concern would be can your oil pump handle a 5% increase in demand without loosing oil pressure ?

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
I understand, but do you have any evidence that engines are wearing out due to poor filtration? We haven't seen any on this forum with numerous oil analysis tests in different conditions at different mileage.

Ur truck, by all means do what you think is best. I think you are better off putting that 300 towards a tune for the engine and trans.

·
Registered
3,745 Posts
Better filtration is always a good thing. I'd say once you have a good ECM tune then it's only logical to consider a bypass filter if you want to hedge the bet that your motor lasts as long as possible.

·
Registered
4,402 Posts
You can put a bypass filter on this engine without affecting oil pressure to anything critical. Put a T block on one of the sensors near the oil filter for the feed line, run the return to the oil fill cap.

Mounting location requires a little more work.

I might install one after the AEM.
Help me understand how you know this. By its nature you are taking flow from a point not designed for a flow withdrawal and that changes the flow regime some in the oil system. I don't know how much or if critical or not. I know that in the days of yore when everything was well oversized it wasn't a problem but in these days of everything designed down to the nuts to save energy I am not sure that is a safe assumption. Help me understand how you decided it was OK.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
On a different Facebook ecodiesel page a guy added an Amsoil bypass filter just like the memeber is asking about but he also added an actual oil pressure gauge and found no difference in oil pressure before vs after. It wont hurt anything if done correctly but it well grealty help reduce the fine particles in the oil below 20 microns.

·
Registered
3,745 Posts
Help me understand how you know this. By its nature you are taking flow from a point not designed for a flow withdrawal and that changes the flow regime some in the oil system. I don't know how much or if critical or not. I know that in the days of yore when everything was well oversized it wasn't a problem but in these days of everything designed down to the nuts to save energy I am not sure that is a safe assumption. Help me understand how you decided it was OK.
It's commonplace, our engines aren't that unique that they can't handle a small amount of oil being bypassed through a remote filter. Who is to say there is even a pressure drop?

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
Not exactly the same engine, Both engines over head cams , just like VW’s issues with EGR’s ...VM 2.8 Jeep Liberty, This videoclip is from a member on our forum, He learned a costly lesson about a badly designed EGR system ..... BTW both manufacturers of these engines had tuning which shut the EGR’s off .. The manufacturers reasoning behind shutting the EGR’s off = ENGINE LONGEVITY...

The owner of this video clip bought his EcoDiesel on a Friday and his truck was tuned by the following Friday, his choice,his opinion based on his previous experiences.....

Soot is an ABRASIVE .... GRIT MAKES GREEF .....Old saying that still applies ..

Personal opinion, a GDE tune much safer way to handle soot,than extra Oil lines to feed the extra oil filter, But I’ve installed about a hundred bypass oil filter housing on City running diesels , to retro fit older diesel engines that didn’t come from factory with bypass filtration, we where advised to install these filter systems from International/ NAVSTAR ....All our city diesels had 2 or 3 oil filters....

I wonder if soot could cause the roller rocker to lockup due to soot, I wonder if it could make crankshaft bearings to spin :confused:

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
On a different Facebook ecodiesel page a guy added an Amsoil bypass filter just like the memeber is asking about but he also added an actual oil pressure gauge and found no difference in oil pressure before vs after. It wont hurt anything if done correctly but it well grealty help reduce the fine particles in the oil below 20 microns.
This is not reassuring... All depends where he is tapping in and where he is measuring oil pressure.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts