RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Well I hate to say it. My engine now needs to be replaced... Seems to be a common failure now. The dealer (Ontario Chrysler has 2 and Edna's? has 1) making it 3 Eco diesel locally that have failed. Same symptoms. Bottom end bearings go and engine fails.

To give a bit of a background info.
2014 Longhorn every option possible including the CD Player,
Originally I had a custom tune and deleted DPF but had some issues and went back to oem.

1200Km I had a boost gauge I installed. The intercooler hose flew of they blamed it on me. I paid 450.00 for a new hose and deleted the boost gauge. Ironically 2 weeks later the new hose they popped on guess what... It flew off again and this time it was warranty.
1670km- Nox sensors failed had a CEL. Replaced under warranty no issues for a bit
5000KM- SCR catalyst failure. Replaced with new one. Warranty work. Waited 3 weeks for it.
8000KM - Rear shocks replaced under warranty
12500- Engine was not heating up properly. Thermostat would not go past 1/4 . First time the dealer told me it was ok its a diesel.. I'm a service manager for Ryder and licenses diesel tech. Brought it back. Replaced thermostat warranty covered
15000km- TPMS sensor failed -replaced under warranty
15500km- Service electronic throttle- Reprogramed the truck did not come on after, noticed oil in the turbo. Not a huge concern but it does happen.

and now
20056km Right before its oil change driving on the 401 notice that the truck has hesitation. Got of first exit at exit low oil pressure light flickered. pulled over into parking lot right away. Engine off called Chrysler was towed. Waited till Monday. Monday get a call that there was a lot of metal filings in the oil filter. Tuesday am got a call pulled the bottom pan of. After pulling the pan of they aw bearings and rods destroyed. Long block on order....

I have contacted CAMVAP to get the dealer to buy the truck back. Its been nothing but problems and im thinking of the post warranty. I have also contacted VM motori to figure out the root cause of the failure but they have not responded.

This is turning out to be a very common problem.
The dealer also has a couple of Grand Cherokee 2014 that have blown diesel engines. Either they are not assembled properly or there is a major mechanical fault. Cost of this repair under warranty is 34 000 before tax. This includes the engine, the labor.

As much as I love how it drives and the fuel economy on it. This is one truck that I do not plan on keeping especially that I paid 72 000 for it. Failure at 20k or for Americans 12 000 Miles is a huge turn off.

·
Registered
140 Posts
After reading your story i am swallowing really hard,as i turned 21,000kms and had my first CEL last friday, i sure hope they buy it back but i am not sure if we have a "lemon law" policy as i brothers have in the south.keep us posted.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I'm starting to get a bit worried about our ED since my wife took it on a visit 800 miles away - reaching the dreaded 20k miles. It will be a year old next month and has been totally perfect. I can't imagine replacing it with any other similar type of vehicle. The wife would seriously freak out - like losing a family member. Kinda sounds like we'd professional help but price tag of $55,000 could have a lot to do with it!

Are there any solid numbers or facts on these engine failures? If the frequency is similar to other engine failures then maybe there's nothing to worry about. On the other hand, if it's a problem with the design or application/usage then that's different. Believe that I read that this same engine has been in use for several years in Europe?

Reactions: Sasquatchilly

·
Registered
164 Posts
I sorry to hear about your trouble. Seems to be more and more of these stories popping up on here. As a fellow Ontario consumer I am now dreading the 20km mark. Does anyone know if this has been a problem strictly with the '14's?

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Another good reason ( IMHO) to not " mod" your engine until the warranty runs out. So no claims can be made that your mod somehow induced or contributed to the failure.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Could this possibly be an oil consumption problem? Just wondering there have been several threads stating that at oil change the oil capacity is several quarts low. I know that modern engines are "made" to run low and be "ok", but this has me wondering.

·
Registered
21 Posts
This linked thread may shed some light on the cause of your engine failure

+1 to give Flying Mullet's linked thread a read. The linked thread was in regards to a Canadian owner with 30,000km on the OD, and similar sounding engine failure to the "pilot_alex".

In case you don't want to read the whole linked thread, here is a highlight of a potential origin-of-failure for these low mileage failures (doesn't explain all the other problems pilot_alex has historically had but it's a potential cause-link):

They should provide a new engine ready to drop in. From what we here there was an issue on the assembly line with improper torque on the connecting rod caps. There is a small batch of engines that will surely all fail at low miles. VM corrected the issue, but several engines made it through the hot test and were not quarantined. This is what happens when line speed is ramped up too fast and not all quality checks are in place. The V6 line is cranking at 130k engines per year, the most VM has ever produced on one line.

PS - I don't have this issue so I cannot verify/confirm the statements, but I thought it was an interesting post. Again read the whole thread to get a better idea. Would be interesting to get pilot_alex's thoughts as he's a diesel tech.

·
Registered
258 Posts
wrmjk34
Is there any information as to when this bad batch made it to "america" and were put in Warren and Mexican trucks?
It seems like there is a whole lot of worry here, and knowing their truck in not part of the bad time frame may relieve some people.

2 reasons not to worry though
1 - Most likely FCA is not going to spend time arguing with you as it seems the issue is well known internally.
2.- The odds are low that yours is one of the batch. But if you are one of the unlucky few... do think "glass half full". You get a NEW engine, yay. (maybe not worth the hassel, but I think i'd like mine at about 50,000 miles thanks)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Because Im a manager at Ryder we deal with Chrysler a lot. Im not the first or the last. They are starting to notice a pattern. Most of them are spun bearings. I called Chrysler but its a joke. She kept repeating we don't have a buy back but we will insure that the truck gets repaired to oem standards is there anything else I can do for you... ye buy the dam thing back... I will keep you up to date. I have no ETA when the truck will be repaired and if it will be a fix or a bandaid.

From my contact at Chrysler
"Just had a convo with our tower operator about this. Chrysler is aware of this exact problem, lets hope they figure it out soon. "

"we had a ecodiesel towed in on Wednesday with no oil needs a motor"

And Ontario Chrysler where my truck is there are 2 also with blown engines.

As a mechanic my conclusion in this is a poor CCV system. this was a common issue on the older cummins engines, it basically will clunk up the oil and cause lumps to block the pickup tube. Causing wear on the engine. the service interval is WAY to long for this truck. IT should be changed minimum every 5000KM with full synthetic oil. The engine is an old engine but its the new emission and high pressure common rail system that becomes a problem.

SIgh if we could run without these stupid EGR coolers, DEF systems the world would be a better place. I have new freightliners sitting in my shop with 5000K on them blown coolers clogged filters. Worse is when the cooler breaks and it goes on the filter, that's it needs a filter and then warranty becomes interesting. Anyways not impressed at all with Chrysler and the Ecodiesel.

·
Registered
21 Posts
wrmjk34
Is there any information as to when this bad batch made it to "america" and were put in Warren and Mexican trucks?
Unfortunately I do not know. My knowledge/information/misinformation is limited to what I have read here on this forum. Sorry I cannot help more, just wanted to point those interested in another possible area to investigate.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Because Im a manager at Ryder we deal with Chrysler a lot. Im not the first or the last. They are starting to notice a pattern. Most of them are spun bearings. I called Chrysler but its a joke. She kept repeating we don't have a buy back but we will insure that the truck gets repaired to oem standards is there anything else I can do for you... ye buy the dam thing back... I will keep you up to date. I have no ETA when the truck will be repaired and if it will be a fix or a bandaid.

From my contact at Chrysler
"Just had a convo with our tower operator about this. Chrysler is aware of this exact problem, lets hope they figure it out soon. "

"we had a ecodiesel towed in on Wednesday with no oil needs a motor"

And Ontario Chrysler where my truck is there are 2 also with blown engines.

As a mechanic my conclusion in this is a poor CCV system. this was a common issue on the older cummins engines, it basically will clunk up the oil and cause lumps to block the pickup tube. Causing wear on the engine. the service interval is WAY to long for this truck. IT should be changed minimum every 5000KM with full synthetic oil. The engine is an old engine but its the new emission and high pressure common rail system that becomes a problem.

SIgh if we could run without these stupid EGR coolers, DEF systems the world would be a better place. I have new freightliners sitting in my shop with 5000K on them blown coolers clogged filters. Worse is when the cooler breaks and it goes on the filter, that's it needs a filter and then warranty becomes interesting. Anyways not impressed at all with Chrysler and the Ecodiesel.
Crank case ventilation comprimised by blowby allowing engine oil to become contaminated with carbon and fuel from compression cycles!
This sounds like a very logical assumption to me.
I have started testing my oil, for this exact same reason! If the seals and rings are not fitted properly, then issues will show through the oil screening.
So excessive blowby making engine oil dirty, causing oil cooler, hpfp, turbo, spun crank bearings failures! Oil becomes very dark and sludgy blocking oil gallies resulting in spun bearings?

We need these guys to get there oil tested from there blown engines for contaminates, like carbon, and heavy metals.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
ive already taken my stance on this issue since 6000 miles, I created my own separator kit, but everyone thinks im an idiot, but at 111,000 miles im still purring along and still dumping 1qt out of my drain tank every 10k.
Ever get a test on what you're collecting?

·
Registered
140 Posts
ive already taken my stance on this issue since 6000 miles, I created my own separator kit, but everyone thinks im an idiot, but at 111,000 miles im still purring along and still dumping 1qt out of my drain tank every 10k.
I have looked all over for a catch can but nobody makes them. I talked to Billet and they said they have no plans to make one. You should sell your design!!

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
Some of us don't think you are an idiot...

Sorny has a great question - it would be very helpful to know what's in that blow-by you collect.

·
Banned
627 Posts
Ever get a test on what you're collecting?
yes I did, I posted the results on here once with huge backlash, I had to delete some of my posts to restore order on the site.
there was lots of brass, metals and water found. caterpillar thought my motor was going to blow. that was at 20k miles.

·
Banned
627 Posts
I have looked all over for a catch can but nobody makes them. I talked to Billet and they said they have no plans to make one. You should sell your design!!
I have all the parts listed and the video on youtube for free.
I also wanted to contract with moroso and another cool company, but like everything else it just died and no company wants to pursue anything, so I made two reviews and you can build one yourself, but it is complicated, if deviated at all from my design you will get two cel lights.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I have all the parts listed and the video on youtube for free.
I also wanted to contract with moroso and another cool company, but like everything else it just died and no company wants to pursue anything, so I made two reviews and you can build one yourself, but it is complicated, if deviated at all from my design you will get two cel lights.
Is your YouTube channel moparecodiesel?

1 - 20 of 94 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.