RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13,211 Posts
Heh. Good article and pictures with the story. Interesting.

As for the Packard, 35 mph was the common speed on decent roads. Maybe 50 as the rayon tires phased into nylon ones. No EPA and government regulations and certifications for GVR, towing capacity to mess you up. Braking was probably optional.

It was all good for many reasons.

·
Registered
4,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Heh. Good article and pictures with the story. Interesting.

As for the Packard, 35 mph was the common speed on decent roads. Maybe 50 as the rayon tires phased into nylon ones. No EPA and government regulations and certifications for GVR, towing capacity to mess you up. Braking was probably optional.

It was all good for many reasons.
Not sure what my 1929 Chrysler would pull but it is a model 75 which means a top speed of 75 mph and it has the Red Head six and has 4 wheel hydraulic brakes which is one of the technologies Chrysler far beat Ford and GM on. It is a great driver at 60 but nicer at 50 with a direct drive high gear and a 4.something rear end. The 48 Plymouth with a 95 hp flat head six does much better and is happy at 65 or 70 with a direct drive high, 95 hp and a high 3. something rearend. Driving these and the 1964 Rambler with a 110 hp six and overdrive taught you to build momentum slowly and once you had it maintain it. It taught you to drive with your eyes far ahead.

·
Registered
13,211 Posts
Roads today allow the older cars to run faster. Modern reproduction tires also help as does modern metallurgy in the engine components for longevity and higher reliability at rpm. Yes, older vehicles could often run at higher speeds. Finding the right road conditions and running gear to do that was often an issue.

Now I sure liked the $.17 a gallon I paid for gas back in 1958 when I first started driving. Didn't much care about speeds then. Even rode my old 1949 Harley 125 to High School on the new Interstate road called the Parkway. People flew along at 55 mph on a good road. Quite an accomplishment.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts