RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well on Tuesday my truck caught on fire. Was headed up a slight grade on highway 50 in ca and I heard a terrible knocking sound coming from my truck, loss of power then it died. No check engine light or anything. I restarted the truck and did an illegal u-turn to get back on the west side of the highway and on the downhill side of the grade. Truck ran again and as I was limping to the far right to make it an off ramp I noticed horrible smoke coming out of the exhaust. It finally died and as I was coasting to a stop fire came out of the hood. I hopped out of the truck and threw the hood open to a massive fireball. Two caltrans employees boogied up the off ramp and hit it with their extinguishers and put it out. While I was waiting for the fire department to show up it reignited. The engine captain said I was a few seconds away from losing the whole truck.

So I called USAA and they got the ball rolling. Just last week I called my local dealer wanting to see if I could get the egr recall taken care of because I had called right when I got the paper in the mail and it was not available when I called months ago. I was told by the service manager that they couldn't do the egr but could do the VA7 recall. I literally had an appointment for it this Wednesday..

USAA had me notify fca that my truck caught on fire. I got a call from fca stating they were sending an investigator out. The USAA fire inspector said he was very very aware of this recall and my truck was actually the third eco he was gonna look at this week.

So about my truck 94k on her aem installed and only an s&b intake and some bilstein 5100s and mevotech uca's. No tune at all. The dealership did most of my oil changes until I realized its really easy to do and had done my last two and was gonna do one next week because I was at 7200 on the current oil. Oil used was Valvoline extreme blue 5w-40 and mopar filters.

So now on to my questions. Does an engine catching on fire warrant a total loss? I do not have gap insurance on it anymore. I refinanced to USAA and so I could have everything under one roof, insurance, banking,home owners, and my wifes auto loan. When inquired about gap from usaa I was told they don't offer it. Would USAA go after FCA to cover gap if I ended up owing money because this happened due to a recall not being able to be performed? I am honestly hoping that its a total loss. coasting with the truck on fire reminded me of when a few of our humvees got hit with ied's in ramadi in 04 and I really don't want to get behind that wheel again.

Lastly I filed a complaint with the NHTSA today. Thank you for any and all responses. Stay safe out there. Russ.
Screenshot_20200709-013600_Facebook.jpg

·
Registered
13,597 Posts
Good you posted as all the non-deleted owners might have to deal with this situation, unless they had the EGR replaced.

·
Registered
4,306 Posts
I would have asked the firemen to give it just a few more minutes to "toastal" before they put it out.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would have asked the firemen to give it just a few more minutes to "toastal" before they put it out.
Lol yea. I Mean I loved my truck. No issues whatsoever. In the moment thought didn't cross my mind. Usaa rep told me that they usually total out fire damage because if they fix it and stuff goes wrong later they will have to warranty it. I told him it's a win win for you guys. Total this out. Go after fca for the money. Then I'll get financing again through you guys. Double the money.

·
Registered
10 Posts
From the letters on the backs of those firemen I can tell you were only a few miles from my house. I had the VA 7 recall (which I refer to as AEM- 2) done on Wednesday, yesterday, at the dealer up the hill. They could not do the EGR recall due to lack of parts and they told me they have several trucks sitting at the shop waiting for parts because they cannot operate without the new EGR cooler. Good luck with your situation.

Sent from my Moto Z3 Play using Tapatalk

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
From the letters on the backs of those firemen I can tell you were only a few miles from my house. I had the VA 7 recall (which I refer to as AEM- 2) done on Wednesday, yesterday, at the dealer up the hill. They could not do the EGR recall due to lack of parts and they told me they have several trucks sitting at the shop waiting for parts because they cannot operate without the new EGR cooler. Good luck with your situation.

Sent from my Moto Z3 Play using Tapatalk
That's crazy to me. How the Hell are you gonna put out a recall to prevent fires and not have the parts still. Do you remember by chance when they first sent out the recall notice by chance?

·
Registered
13,597 Posts
Think it was around November of last year.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Are there any statistics on how many Eco's have burned? 50? 500? more?

Second question: have any 2020 Eco's burned, yet? My warranty runs out this year on my 2016, well except for AEM and EPA "warranties."

·
Registered
580 Posts
Glad you got out safe. Personally I wouldn't drive this vehicle without the banks metal intake manifold and deleted so that can operate without CEL. FCA REALLY dropped the ball on this motor and emissions, hard to believe. I hope they give you full compensation for this. Agree it's an awesome truck and motor when everything is working right, I loved mine for the 2 years I had it. But better to have peace of mind and reliable transportation. Time will tell how the Gen 3 works out, hopefully FCA has learned their lesson and made changes. Good luck.

·
Registered
319 Posts
This seriously concerns me as our ED is the family transport, and my wife primarily drives it. I would hate for her to have to grab both the kids and run due to a vehicle fire.
I too an waiting on the recall, but no parts are available.
Glad you got away safe.

Reactions: russ209

·
Registered
319 Posts
Second question: have any 2020 Eco's burned, yet? My warranty runs out this year on my 2016, well except for AEM and EPA "warranties."
recalls are not related to warranty length, they can be done by any owner at any time.
They tried to do a recall on my 01 Ram once, and this was in 2015.

Reactions: MR. TED

·
Registered
129 Posts
Are there any statistics on how many Eco's have burned? 50? 500? more?

NHTSA data is public so you should be able to get an official on-the-record count. Granted, probably more than that exist, but it gives you a baseline

·
Registered
319 Posts
1 - 20 of 59 Posts