RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

21 - 40 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
4,538 Posts
Read my damn signature smart one.
stop worrying Chizzle , GDE stated that there is more to consider than the EGR as a causes of the fires ,
and with GDE tune , that risk has been adressed and is eliminated.
----
see this post :
Post # 67 in that thread :
Ecodiesel Fire
---------------------------
I asked GDE in email question :
"" Hello guys , hope you are well , I am a Customer of yours from Montreal ,
I have your Ecodiesel Hot Tune from March 2018 in my 2015 Ram .

I just read one of your posts on the Ram1500diesel forum site ( link above )
in the middle of the post it says " We have found two issues in the latest FCA calibration
that lead to excessive manifold temps. These are both being solved with the new tune we are
in the process of certifying with CARB and EPA."

Does this mean the 2018 version of GDE Hot tune did not adress
Those calibration issues ?
making us who run old versions GDE Hot une at risk of fires in the Intake manifold ???

If it is still business as usual with us Canadian customers ,
Do we still get to have better and better versions of the previous GDE Hot Tune
As you make them , or will you sell only the new EPA compliant tune even to us Canucks ??

Thanks in advance guys .
Stay safe
-Mike , from Montreal .
========================================================
GDE answer : "" You don’t have to worry about it with your tunes.
You have the best tune we can offer.

The US market now has to have EPA certification which meant we needed to make some tweaks.""
(( I read that last line as '' the new EPA aprooved tune also has that covered "")).

--------------------------------------

·
Registered
319 Posts
With your EGR shut off by way of hot tune, you really don't have much to worry about!
I hope you're right.
So this fire was caused by the recirculation of hot gasses into the plastic intake?

Reactions: VernDiesel

·
Registered
13,596 Posts
I hope you're right.
So this fire was caused by the recirculation of hot gasses into the plastic intake?
That and the amount of gasses circulated. If it is blocked off, it is blocked off. Not quite that simple but that is the idea.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Just an update. Still waiting on the insurance to tell me what they have figured out. I got a better look at the engine today because I went to get my personal stuff that was in it. The whole top of the engine is gone. AL the piping for my S&b is melted and it looked like the firewall had substantial damage and warping.

Been looking online at truck today. Just in case it gets totalled out. I have no idea where to go next... Silverado look cheap as hell inside. Tundras mpg is atrocious. I drive way to much for one. I don't think I can trust another Ed. Not really a fan of hemis. I don't tow anything really I just do large dump loads from time to time and family camping trips. So I can't justify a big diesel. So I'm stuck with the f150 im familiar with the ecoboost from my time as a cop. But that aluminum bed seems really suspect to me... Sigh lol.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Just an update. Still waiting on the insurance to tell me what they have figured out. I got a better look at the engine today because I went to get my personal stuff that was in it. The whole top of the engine is gone. AL the piping for my S&b is melted and it looked like the firewall had substantial damage and warping.

Been looking online at truck today. Just in case it gets totalled out. I have no idea where to go next... Silverado look cheap as hell inside. Tundras mpg is atrocious. I drive way to much for one. I don't think I can trust another Ed. Not really a fan of hemis. I don't tow anything really I just do large dump loads from time to time and family camping trips. So I can't justify a big diesel. So I'm stuck with the f150 im familiar with the ecoboost from my time as a cop. But that aluminum bed seems really suspect to me... Sigh lol.

Sounds like they will deem it totalled.
Good luck in your decision to replace it. I'd have a tough time deciding what to replace my truck with right now too.
Keep us posted.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I have been happy with my 2019 F150, 3.5 EB with 10 sp, 4x4, Supercrew, max tow pkg with 36 gal tank, I am getting roughly 700 miles range.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Another update.

Calles usaa. The fire inspector came out and said that the fire originated from the area of the egr. They are waiting on an engineer to come out and verify if the recall is what caused the fire. Probably won't happen until Wednesday. No update on whether it will be totalled.

·
Registered
334 Posts
very glad you were able to get out and not get hurt. this is my biggest fear. i’m currently waiting for my dealer to call me that the parts arrived. i’m lucky in that i had my egr(edit) replaced about a year a half/two years ago so it’s fairly new but i’m still taking care of this recall. already did the slow to accelerate recall but lo and behold.. it’s still slow off the line in the first 5 mins.

·
Super Moderator
3,289 Posts
Do test drives and get what you “want” the most naturally you still consider what choice also matches your use needs. Definitely test drive the 5th gen 1500 with new & dramatically improved gen 3 Ecodiesel.

Reactions: JohnnyMac

·
Registered
52 Posts
I just retuned my truck with the new gde update(dealer reflash). Should i worry about any fires with egr operational as opposed to my original gde tune where it was shut off? I assume gde fixed anything that was in stock programming that would cause a huge malfunction.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Got stuck on Hwy 400 coming home tonight. Didnt move for 1/2 hour. Lots of flames and smoke. Thought it must have been a hell of an accident but once they got the fire out and started to let us through I realized it was s vehicle fire. Very new looking F150. Not much left of the all aluminum truck. Basically just the four corners. They all have issues.
20200714_164440.jpg

·
Registered
30 Posts
I had a 2015 ecodiesel CrewCab GDE tuned that ran terrific once tuned and loved the mileage and almost everything about it but I started feeling that the engine was too fragile and once I lost confidence in it I couldn't justify keeping it any longer. I had the AEM done and it was just ridiculous, no power and crazy turbo lag. I put my GDE tune back in but people started scaring me here that the CARB and EPA would be coming for me and my tuned truck because GDE turned over our information to the EPA. I finally just accepted defeat and traded it in on a new 2019 Ram heavy duty Cummins. The Cummins feels so solid and over built. No plastic intake manifolds. Yes they already recalled it once for a fire risk due to the transmission but I finally feel like I have a solid truck. I don't feel that I need to tune it either. Good luck to everybody here with the ecodiesel.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Got stuck on Hwy 400 coming home tonight. Didnt move for 1/2 hour. Lots of flames and smoke. Thought it must have been a hell of an accident but once they got the fire out and started to let us through I realized it was s vehicle fire. Very new looking F150. Not much left of the all aluminum truck. Basically just the four corners. They all have issues. View attachment 87003 View attachment 87004 View attachment 87003
My son saw it coming back from shelburne going to maple. At least not another eco

21 - 40 of 59 Posts