RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First two CEL were attributed by dealer to a faulty DPF temp sensor. Unit was replaced at approx 4800 mi. Just turned over 5050 and was going to take it in this Thursday on my first day off for the first oil change and on the way to work this morning that lovely chime was followed by, you guessed it another CEL!!! DAMN I know these trucks are new but geez they used this motor or a version of it in the grand cherokee for almost two years and didn't hear anything like what the owners of this truck and engine combo are experiencing....This is crap!:mad:

·
Registered
56 Posts
First two CEL were attributed by dealer to a faulty DPF temp sensor. Unit was replaced at approx 4800 mi. Just turned over 5050 and was going to take it in this Thursday on my first day off for the first oil change and on the way to work this morning that lovely chime was followed by, you guessed it another CEL!!! DAMN I know these trucks are new but geez they used this motor or a version of it in the grand cherokee for almost two years and didn't hear anything like what the owners of this truck and engine combo are experiencing....This is crap!:mad:
Sounds familiar. My truck just hit 4700 miles today and the CEL appeared following a chime. I have experience with VM commercial 4 cylinder diesel engines and they eat DPF temp sensors. Prepare yourself for multiple dealer visits. It appears I will be making my first visit.

·
Registered
334 Posts
check engine light

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sounds familiar. My truck just hit 4700 miles today and the CEL appeared following a chime. I have experience with VM commercial 4 cylinder diesel engines and they eat DPF temp sensors. Prepare yourself for multiple dealer visits. It appears I will be making my first visit.
Wow if that's the case sounds like Chrysler has some work to do or they won't be any better than GM!!!

·
Registered
396 Posts
I have a CEL but the earliest appointment I could get was Monday. my scanner says P0426: Catalyst temp. sensor (bank 1) P0171 system too lean (bank 1)

·
Registered
16 Posts
I hope you guys have better luck than I with the CEL and bad sensors. Mine has been at the dealer for 3 weeks, and is at least there for another week waiting on back ordered replacement sensors. Seems that there is more to the story that I still don't have. Getting close to lemon law limits in my state......

·
Registered
241 Posts
My question is have any who have this light come on, ran it for anytime. Mine will come on and then I run it for a few days and it goes away. The reason I have done this is that I got the same thing with my 2010 Cummins. My light has come on three or four times in the 5000 miles that I have ran the truck and just like the Cummins did it goes away. I have not been too worried about it as it goes away. The wife's 2005 Honda Pilot also did this as this is emissions stuff and I do not get to worried by it as long as it is not flashing I do not sweat it. It seems like some are going omg I have a light on I have to run to the dealer.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
I have some older Toyota and Honda vehicles and the CEL comes on all the time. I finally said screw it! Every time I'd have them checked out it was some dumb sensor so I figured wth, run them until they stop working as I got tired of dumping $500 a pop for a CEL issue. I have literally driven more then 100k miles and no issues. I almost think they are rigged for the dealerships and repair shops.

Oh yeah they will also clear themselves for no apparent reason!

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
I have some older Toyota and Honda vehicles and the CEL comes on all the time. I finally said screw it! Every time I'd have them checked out it was some dumb sensor so I figured wth, run them until they stop working as I got tired of dumping $500 a pop for a CEL issue. I have literally driven more then 100k miles and no issues. I almost think they are rigged for the dealerships and repair shops.

Oh yeah they will also clear themselves for no apparent reason!

·
Registered
16 Posts
I hope you guys have better luck than I with the CEL and bad sensors. Mine has been at the dealer for 3 weeks, and is at least there for another week waiting on back ordered replacement sensors. Seems that there is more to the story that I still don't have. Getting close to lemon law limits in my state......
My question is have any who have this light come on, ran it for anytime. Mine will come on and then I run it for a few days and it goes away. The reason I have done this is that I got the same thing with my 2010 Cummins. My light has come on three or four times in the 5000 miles that I have ran the truck and just like the Cummins did it goes away. I have not been too worried about it as it goes away. The wife's 2005 Honda Pilot also did this as this is emissions stuff and I do not get to worried by it as long as it is not flashing I do not sweat it. It seems like some are going omg I have a light on I have to run to the dealer.
I did drive mine for a few days with the cel on, did not turn off. Dealer appears to be a little worried as they suggested not driving until sensor was replaced, I believe there is a re design of the sensor hence the parts delay.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Follow up. Scanned the obsidian port with my elm327 and dashcoomand app, code is p0426. Tech research on engine codes.com says that most times the catalytic converter needs to be replaced to fix the issue. Mine has not cleared this time and the last time it cleared was after 1800mi of hi way driving! Came back on 2 days after returning to city. Have dealer appointment this Thursday.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
took the truck in today for the appointment, they confirmed what I already knew, code P0426. Service manager called me in to office to say that Dodge had just released a new fix for this code and it involved two parts, an new O2 sensor and a new DPF sensor to deal with this problem. Also said that they took pictures of the truck and parts as requested by dodge in this bulletin. Parts are back ordered, naturally. Dealer cleared codes and completed my scheduled oil change. Has any seen the new prices for an oil change for these trucks? With labor and parts, we're talking 200 bucks. 11 Qts of synthetic (121.00), filter (60.00) and labor. I thought I read in the owners manual that this truck only needed 9 qts. Anyway glad i have a maintenance package for first 3 years. I know I'll be doing them myself for this price.

·
Registered
396 Posts
funny, mine was in for the same code with some others. All they did was a software update. to my knowledge it had the current software as of 2-3 weeks ago. I was not aware of anything new other than the recall (key fob) and the air suspension. they did both of those plus one more. i'm trying to find out details on this update but the truck does feel more responsive. I'm not holding my breath on the CEL not coming back.

·
Registered
284 Posts
took the truck in today for the appointment, they confirmed what I already knew, code P0426. Service manager called me in to office to say that Dodge had just released a new fix for this code and it involved two parts, an new O2 sensor and a new DPF sensor to deal with this problem. Also said that they took pictures of the truck and parts as requested by dodge in this bulletin. Parts are back ordered, naturally. Dealer cleared codes and completed my scheduled oil change. Has any seen the new prices for an oil change for these trucks? With labor and parts, we're talking 200 bucks. 11 Qts of synthetic (121.00), filter (60.00) and labor. I thought I read in the owners manual that this truck only needed 9 qts. Anyway glad i have a maintenance package for first 3 years. I know I'll be doing them myself for this price.
Thanks for the update! Hopefully this solves the issue with P0426. Mine goes back in next week for the same code so I'll bring this to their attention.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Not overly concerned, but the remote start shuts off after 10 seconds with the CEL on. kind of defeats the remote start option.
Does anyone else have the remote start issue with CEL?

·
Registered
396 Posts
remote start will do this with CEL or low fuel lights on.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts