RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the process of determining what new truck I will purchase. I am coming from a 2012 Power Wagon lifted on 35's. I want to get into something a bit more efficient. I bought it a little over two years ago and now have a kid and the truck isn't the best for traveling. We bought a '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee with the Hemi about a year ago and it's good for traveling but just isn't big enough. Size wise, the truck is perfect with the bed cover but isn't a very good road trip vehicle at 10-12 MPG highway. The truck is up for sale now and as soon as it's gone, I'll be ordering a new 1500. I have been considering either a Sport or Outdoorsman model with either the Hemi or EcoDiesel (Obviously the Outdoorsman if I choose the diesel). It will be a crew cab with 6' bed. Laramie isn't out of the question, but I really don't want to spend that much on a new vehicle.

Throughout the week I take the kiddo to daycare and drive back home (5 mile round trip), then get in my company car for the rest of the day. About once a week I'll drive the truck to work, about a 30 mile round trip mostly city highways. We also travel a lot on the weekends. Shortest trip is about 60 mile one way. Most trips end up being 250-500 miles round trip with 95% highway. This is why the diesel is on my mind. I'm currently getting 9 mpg in town and 10-12 highway so whether I go with the Hemi or Diesel, fuel mileage will be much better. Yearly mileage will be about 12-15k.

Now for my actual questions:

Am I going to kill this engine with my 5 mile daily trips?

How bad will the fuel mileage be since the engine will never fully warm up?

When it's cold I remote start so the truck is warm, how much longer does it take to build up enough heat with the diesel?

·
Registered
13,665 Posts
You won't "kill" the engine. It may regenerate a bit more often but that's no big deal.

Those longer trips are just right for this diesel. I mean , "Yes".

It will survive the short jaunts with no adverse affects when you reward it with a good running now and then. You should get the diesel.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Do you tow anything? Are you planning a lift/larger tires?

Honestly, for the duties you described, the V6/8-speed sounds like the right truck and the economics would work better for you. If you're going to tow, install a lift, or do other activities that require more power/torque, then the Hemi of EcoDiesel make more sense. With the low miles you put on in a year, it will be hard to make the diesel work from a purely financial point of view.

With that said, if you want a diesel, then get it.:)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think it is more of a want than a need, and I'm not even sure it's a want yet. It won't be lifted right away but will probably end up with a small lift and 34's. It will for sure be leveled with 33" AT's though. I definitely do not want the V6 gas engine, if I don't get the diesel, then it's the Hemi for sure. I don't tow a lot but will tow random stuff sometimes. I sold the boat last year so all I have now is a 8x12 trailer for ATVs. I originally wanted another 2500 with the 6.4L Hemi but can't justify having another 2500 for what I use it for. I have a feeling the EcoD will be the same.

Doing the math with the Hemi getting 17 mpg and the EcoD getting 25 MPG, I'll only be saving less than $800 per year in fuel using today's fuel prices ($3.50 89 octane, $3.60 diesel). That includes the cost of DEF as well as maintenance. From what I've read I'm looking at $100 oil changes on the diesel and I can do a Hemi for about $50 with synthetic. For the DEF, even if you figure 8 gallons only lasting 6k miles, that's only $55 per 15k miles at $2.79 a gallon. So, with all these numbers, the EcoD won't pay for itself for 3.7 years. I didn't figure in any other maintenance except for oil changes.

I've attached a link to my spreadsheet that you guys can use to see if the EcoD is worth it. After taking a closer look at the numbers, I think the Hemi is the better option for me...

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/32361828/Hemi-vs-EcoDiesel.xls

·
Registered
46 Posts
What about the 6 or 7 grand more in initial cost? You have to figure that in you total cost as well. If the incentives from Dodge were better, it would be an easier choice but at least for now, the diesel costs more as an option and gets less incentive discounts so you lose at both ends.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I say the diesel. When we vacation we take the truck not the car. You will get a return on your money when you go to sell. My buddy just did a 1,200 mile trip in his gas truck this last weekend. Not only would he have save money with a diesel I figure he would have saved 1.5 hours because he would not have been stopping so often. My time is very valuable.

·
Registered
189 Posts
My new diesel Ram will be used much like yours except 10 mile rd trip daily for work with 40-100 mile weekend junts.I think the better mpg over the 6 to 8 years I plan to keep it will pay for the option cost.If it doesn't,the trade value should be higher then the Hemi version too.Mine will stay in the heated garage during the winter mos. so I don't mind the slower heat up compared to Hemi's.Mainly I just liked the diesel Jeep GC I drove and wanted the EcoD in my truck.Etheir engine would work great for you and netheir is really the wrong choice for you or me.I'd try out both and then decide.I will miss the Hemi growl on my current truck though.

·
Registered
735 Posts
This past weekend I netted 18 MPG with my 5.9 on an 800-mile road trip which was mostly highway, but plenty of everything else too.

It is a tough choice because I figure a Hemi might get me 19-20 and the EcoDiesel maybe 25? Either would be a bit more economical than what I run now, but not enough to make a truck payment HaHa!

I have a Pentastar powered Jeep with 4.10’s and it can get 19.x on a similar trip. (20 if I really try, but I usually don’t) I can’t really see a Pentastar 1500 +ZF8 doing much better, I doubt I’d see the advertised 25. The Pentastar is impressive…. truth be known I could probably get by with it in a 1500, but I already have one! Now with the EcoDiesel I could tow the Jeep and probably do better than my Cummins!!

·
Registered
189 Posts
You are a mile off on that price. Right now it's $7000 more for the diesel over the 6 cylinder. I think the Hemi is about $5500 less this month with the incentives.
The incentives in my area were the same for the EcoD and Hemi back when I ordered my truck.$2500 + $1000 if financed w/Chrysler.Since they were locked in at that time,I believe the $2850 differance over the Hemi is correct for me.I haven't kept up on current incentives.Have they been discontinued on the EcoD for April? If so,I would have had trouble paying $5500 more for the diesel now.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Would you be paying cash? If financing over five to six years and pay back is less than five years, is it not less expensive to go with an ecoD over a Hemi?
Might want to include sales tax on diesel up charge, interest rate of financing, and any other added fees.

·
Registered
550 Posts
The diesel in this truck is designed/engineered to be a daily driver. Yes - longer trips would be better - but it will not kill the engine either if those aren't made. As was commented on - you will need to watch regeneration - but the truck will tell you what it needs. A quick run on the highway - or a least longer drive and you will be good to go.

·
Registered
46 Posts
The guy who started the post is looking at getting a truck now. The March incentives have changed. In eastern PA, there is a $2000 credit if you buy a gas engine. Then add the cost of the diesel engine/transmission selection over the base gas engine and it comes out to almost $7000 more for the diesel. If it wasn't for this turnaround in incentives, I would have already ordered an ED. I am going to wait now and see what happens in the months ahead.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The incentives in my area are the same. $2500 off of either truck. My dealer will give at least $8k off sticker or they can keep it.

And I'm not figuring anything with the V6 gad engine as an option. So in my case there will only be a $2850 difference.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 3.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts