RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lots of fun was had with Big Blue and the 5 horse today. Got its brakes adjusted and bearings inspected and packed. Then onto the truck.

Oil and fuel filters..... lots of fun in the scorching heat. Far to much for this pasty bastard. 73,103km on the truck and 24,585km on the oil. Only 7,343km worth of towing this time but hauled some decent weight. At least 115,000 pounds of hay in 7 trips.

Out was petrocan duron shp10w30 and the same oil went In. Baldwin bt7349 oil filter was used, which is just a red painted version of the hastings lf608 that was removed.

Lots of cold weather daily driving this index. We had that nasty winter that refused to end. Put 100 idle hours onto this index, which is way up from the average.

Cardan was greased and did a quick drain/fill of the power steering reservoir. Forgot to do the transfer case, so that's tomorrow's job.

I took another used oil sample, which just needs to be mailed out. Although the break in metals should still be higher, I hope to start seeing the downward trend. I full well expect fuel to be up though. Will keep you posted.

·
Registered
4,452 Posts
Hmmmm! I thought our trucks had an electrical power steering unit. Perhaps I am wrong. It is too late tonight to go out and double check but I don't recall a traditional power steering pump on my truck and wasn't aware of a maintenance requirement for an electric power steering unit. But I could be mistaken.

Perhaps you can enlighten me.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The HD diesels run some sort of hydraboost. Belt driven pump that runs power steering and brake assist. The Ram still asks for ATF+4 in the reservoir.

·
Registered
4,452 Posts
The HD diesels run some sort of hydraboost. Belt driven pump that runs power steering and brake assist. The Ram still asks for ATF+4 in the reservoir.
Thanks. I knew that but missed that it was a HD truck not an ECOD. Apologies to the OP.

·
Registered
12,560 Posts
Curious about the issue of the bearings and the re-pack.

First I assume you are referring to the front wheel bearings as I can't think of any others that might be serviceable. If so, can those on the 3500's be greased through an ABS port without bearing removal? That is what can be done on the little 1500's but not familiar with the layout on the big trucks.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry, I re-read my post and I was a bit vague. The trailer brakes and bearings were dealt with. Absolutely a simple design, so easy to work on.

But.... You can add grease to the HD unit bearings through the ABS port. I have read some posts on a forum or two on that. In fact, I will be doing this next year when I rip the brakes down to grease the slide pins. I will be hitting the 100,000km mark some time, which is a great time to get preventative maintenance done. From what I gather, other than size, bolt count, they are the same damn thing as the 1500 bearings.

·
Registered
12,560 Posts
Good to read that. Granted they are way more beefy to handle the increased load capacity. Just curious if that was possible by design.

Appreciate the response and other readers may also profit from that knowledge.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Got the used oil analysis back. Nice to see the downward movement in the wear metals. Drop in all, including the "mystery" potassium, which is believed to be from the intercooler. What I did not expect is the 2.5x increase in silicon. I changed the air filter mid index and had it removed numerous times to knock off any debris and inspect it. I suspect that breaking the seal and subsequent inspection caused an intrusion. I do not plan on removal or swapping it out this index. Will monitor.

What I expected and saw, the oil was unaffected. 0.5cSt drop in 100c viscosity, really no shear, no oxidation, little additive depletion. The oil looks good to run much longer. Less than 1% soot and non reportable amount of fuel.

Test 2 and Test 1 are shown together.

test 2.JPG

·
Registered
3,863 Posts
Brian,

What do you pay for the set of filters? Looking for a more cost effective alternative to mopar, are the baldwin/fleetgaurds any less expensive?

Till haven't done an oil change on the old mans cummins because he has another 2 free ones, but did the first fuel filter service a while back, not to bad but since there is two of them not as quick as the ecodiesel. The rear water separator filter is just like the filter on our old duramaxes.

When I ordered the parts for his first fuel filter change I bought a set of mopar filters off amazon both fuel filters and an oil filter for $107, not sure if that's good or bad lol.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I cannot suggest anything but the OEM fuel filters. I think some guys on cumminsforum are getting fuel filter sets from Athens Dodge off ebay/amazon for under 100$ US shipped as they apparently have a sale on a few times per year. But 107$ US is like 130$ Canadian and that's about the best I can get the fuel filters for, on sale, once a year. In my mind, 107$ is a great price.

Now, if you can piece meal it out, the OEM Mopar rear filter is made by Racor and sold under that, Hastings and the Baldwin names. They usually go for less than Mopar/Fleetguard.

Check Rockauto as well. I know they have the Hastings rear filter, FF1279 on for 36$ US.

I did some research on the oil filter though. The Fleetguard LF16035 is the gold standard. Great filter, great specs and great build but I find the price is bloated. Many 5.9 and 6.7's run their whole life on lesser filtration and survive just fine. I run/ran the Hastings LF608 and now its red cousin, Baldwin BT7349. They are of excellent build and their specs are not far off the 16035 filtration specs. They go for about 12$ Canadian every day (10$ less than the 16035.) I got it for 10$ tax in, on sale. Rock has the LF608 for under 5$ US.

I did a double take on the Dmax fuel filter but it is a different part number than the Ram.

I have been doing some reading about extending my fuel filter changes... after warranty. Ram just uses a basic mileage counter, nothing more, nothing less. In 24,000km I maybe run 2000 litres of fuel (ballpark) through the filters. One guy who hot shots, uses about 4 to 5000 litres in that same mileage. So why cant I run similar volume?

·
Registered
3,863 Posts
Thanks for the response, I'll keep the part numbers for the other options in mind, but at the moment it seems like the Mopar 3 pack with oil and fuel filers isn't a bad buy and convenient.

I looked at many aftermarket fuel filter options (not baldwin or fleetgaurd), but if I looked hard enough not a single one of them met the micron requirements the Mopar filters are rated for. I wonder how many people use them because they come up on amazon or ebay and just don't know... and how many never have an issue as well.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I know Baldwin/Hastings, Wix all have a front filter listed and I am sure they would provide specs for it but in these parts I found the prices as much or more than OEM.

Anecdotal at best but a friend of mine who runs a 2012 or 2013 F250 PS has run nothing but Wx oil and fuel filters for the last 130,00km on his CP4 pumped engine. He has not run into one related problem.

Probably these filters are just fine but the cost makes them a no go.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts