RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi: All... During a prolonged towing trip I had to refuel. Not 5 min. later on comes a message "Improper DEF detected see dealer" along with the MIL light. After several cycles it went out. I'm still using the DEF from this spring due to Co-Vivid and not using the truck so much. Should I just keep using it or add some fresh? Can you even drain out the stale stuff?
Dieseldragon North shore of Lake Erie.

·
Registered
3,536 Posts
I’d first try cleaning the def injector , I believe the earlier EcoDiesel’s do not have a quality def fluid sensor? I believe the system is based on volume usage.. Insufficient volume?

I had issues with my Def injector clogging, Very Easy to Clean, It always solved my similar issues....

Next time try to read a code , Big Help....

·
Premium Member
14,105 Posts
Curious why you got the message after fueling unless you also added some DEF. Might just have been coincidental.

If the light came on, then has gone out, I would drive on. Nuts to it.

·
Registered
3,536 Posts
Capt...My Guess is the SCR cooled down after fueling up , Not being quite hot enough to burn the def fluid sufficiently.... Causing a CEL that went away after the SCR heated up....

Again a reading of the CEL codes, Is a Tremendous Help ....

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Curious why you got the message after fueling unless you also added some DEF. Might just have been coincidental.

If the light came on, then has gone out, I would drive on. Nuts to it.
Hi: Captainmal... I have come to the realization that in it's quest to be pull it a cully correct the truck tells lies!!! I'm trying to use up the DEF in the truck before I add any more. My service advisor says if the MIL light's on steady & not flashing and the truck is running properly then keep on... keeping on... so I do!!! I have no code reader.

·
Premium Member
2,934 Posts
Hi: Captainmal... I have come to the realization that in it's quest to be pull it a cully correct the truck tells lies!!! I'm trying to use up the DEF in the truck before I add any more. My service advisor says if the MIL light's on steady & not flashing and the truck is running properly then keep on... keeping on... so I do!!! I have no code reader.
ignorance is bliss sometimes for sure.

·
Premium Member
14,105 Posts
I have a large but old trailer that is my "stage" for chairs, storing a quad and drinking beer at camp.

Tire Wheel Vehicle Cloud Sky

Friend that died (almost all of my friends are dead so do not be a friend of mine) gave it to me for hauling my tractors. I park it under a pole barn to protect and drink beer, talk, relax and more before and after hunting. No brakes. Don ( my friend) got upset that some battery box controlling the electric brakes malfunctioned. His temper had him tearing up and crossing wires, sometimes beating it with anything he could grab. I never tried to fix it because mostly I only pull the trailer out to haul tractor a couple miles to my property from my camp. Now the past few years my old tractor and this new one have repeatedly broken past my abilities and I have had to use this trailer to haul to a tractor repair 30 miles away. WARNING LIGHT CITY almost all the way out and back.

*** Quit looking for the license plate. I never changed the title, have no plate and have not been caught yet.

I get bells, bangs, tones, messages and threats from the EVIC. That happened on my Ecodiesel but is way more serious on this Cummins. To hell with it. Back when I first got the Ecodiesel my response to the warnings was to cover the EVIC with black tape. Today I save the tape and turn on the radio. This computer BS is something I just ignore, unless the wheels stop turning.

I'm too stupid and lazy to try and fix the brakes on this trailer. The computer can remind me of that all it wants. I'm drinking beer and enjoying the ride.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
I always hear the best fix for the MIL was electrical tape. Just a piece big enough to cover the light on the dash. Although I did not apply the tape, I drove my beetle for close to five years with the MIL on. It was a short effecting the glowplug harness and only effected the car when the temps were in the single digits. I've been down south long enough that I don't go anywhere when it's that cold, so no worries that the car didn't want to either.

·
Premium Member
2,934 Posts
I always hear the best fix for the MIL was electrical tape. Just a piece big enough to cover the light on the dash. Although I did not apply the tape, I drove my beetle for close to five years with the MIL on. It was a short effecting the glowplug harness and only effected the car when the temps were in the single digits. I've been down south long enough that I don't go anywhere when it's that cold, so no worries that the car didn't want to either.
Or if u really wanna get crafty, wire the MIL bulb to the alternator light.... Just like the a-hole that sold me my 99 diesel burban did.

Funny part is, i knew it had a code since i scanned it. He was bummed when he saw me pull out the obd scanner.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Or if u really wanna get crafty, wire the MIL bulb to the alternator light.... Just like the a-hole that sold me my 99 diesel burban did.

Funny part is, i knew it had a code since i scanned it. He was bummed when he saw me pull out the obd scanner.
WoW... You had a '99 chubby subdivision? I had a '79 tin woody Merci colony. Ticked like a swiss watch but no diesel!!!

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Hi:shaggn85... Sadly NO!!! I traded it off for a '98 new Beetle due to the gas crunch. That car hung around for 17 yrs.
I had a 2000 beetle diesel, but it only hung around for about 10 years. At around 160k miles, I traded it in on my 2010 Jetta wagen diesel. It's still chugging away with just under 150k miles on the clock. I think we've only put about 4000 miles on it in the last year. The truck has become our 'go anywhere' vehicle.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hi: ncskibum... I've come to realize that MIL lights are like Recalls. They show up sooner or later!!! LoL

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hi: All... I set off another round of MIL light on. Added 8oz's of Hot Shots Diesel Extreme to the fuel tank and drove for 30 Mi. before the light and message for DEF usage came on. Here we go again!!!

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hi: All... I set off another round of MIL light on. Added 8oz's of Hot Shots Diesel Extreme to the fuel tank and drove for 30 Mi. before the light and message for DEF usage came on. Here we go again!!!
Hi: All... As of this morn. it's out again!!! Caught in another lie!!!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts