RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
13,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Or - Don't do this for a test.

Running toward an intersection way off and I just normally put my old truck into neutral and coast up. Been doing it for decades with manuals and noticed I am doing it with this automatic thing now. Don't like all the downshifting the truck does while coasting so I roll that dial to neutral, idle down and coast. Always called it ..."running in J O".

Today I rolled that dial into reverse.

No major crunching, gears mashed or hideous carnage. Nothing. Looked down at that indicator and the "R" was lighted up. Nothing else happened. Truck was in neutral coasting along. No warnings or anyone coming from Chrysler to spank me for being bad.

Don't try it. Trust me. Nothing will happen. No need to satisfy your curiosity.

·
Registered
413 Posts
when I go to park truck I shut the a.c off thinking its the gear dial a few time's to many , lucky for me I always use the emergency brake first , I always let truck id-ail for a minute or 2 for cool down and that's when I notice the green D still on :(

·
Registered
254 Posts
Ive hit reverse a few times too. I also put it in drive when looking for reverse sometimes. Its odd, but I still like it better than the column or console shifters.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
You just don't have much luck with that shift knob, do you?? (lol)

Well... at least the computer control kept you from hurting things.

Reactions: bla60ah

·
Registered
13,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ag Teacher - Yes. Got two at the Moose. Ate too many chicken wings and was rewarded with a nasty stomach ache making my morning miserable right now. Truck made me sick???

Mike - Did it also. That AC knob is too similar and close. That's how I smashed my aluminum ladder against the garage wall, trashing the main rung. Let off the brake after parking, or so I thought. Darn thing "leaped:" foreward and smashed into the garage wall, pinning the ladder and smashing it. Not even a scratch on the bumper so it's ready to do it again.

Computer saved me eh? Wife wanted me to have a new Ipad. I can't use the Iphone the daughter got for me. When I get mad at the thing I hand it to them for adjustment. Truck is too heavy.

·
Registered
152 Posts
This shifting issue had me worried for a while and I was reluctant to try for myself. I too, like to coast in neutral. Thanks for the info Captainmal

·
Registered
50 Posts
What's really fun if you have a backup camera is the shift into reverse while on the highway. That way you can see the look on the guys face behind you when the backup lights come on. It really cuts back on tailgaters because they have to stop and clean out their drawers. :eek:

That little tip came from a Dodge engineer friend of mine.

Tom

·
Registered
107 Posts
I hate that stupid rotary knob. they should make it so it controls all the acc. the trans. the radio and the a/c fan. they can put push buttons above it so you can select the mode you want it in before turning the knob. hell they can even add the lights to it.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
What's really fun if you have a backup camera is the shift into reverse while on the highway. That way you can see the look on the guys face behind you when the backup lights come on. It really cuts back on tailgaters because they have to stop and clean out their drawers. :eek:

Tom
Now that is funny!! Lol

·
Registered
4,911 Posts

Tom
Tom,

If you have a Dodge engineer friend how about asking him to participate in this forum and debunk some of the silly things some are saying about these trucks and engines? Sure would be nice to get a few semi official answers to some of the issues raised here, not including the shift knob. I am thinking PCV catch can, type of oil required, oil change interval etc.

All the best,

·
Registered
50 Posts
I don't think he would join the forum, but I'm sure he would be glad to answer specific questions about the diesel. I'm not sure what his exact function is, but I know he was on the EcoDiesel development team and did a lot of test driving.

Tom

1 - 20 of 24 Posts