RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have owned my 2015 Ecodiesel since new in Aug 2015.It generally was a great truck that I loved to drive, and fuel economy as we all know is fantastic.

Since new it has had various oil leaks that left constant drips on my driveway, each oil leak was addressed as it appeared. In June of this year the EGR cooler started leaking, like many others have also reported. That was not covered under the power train warranty, so cost me almost $2900 Canadian ($2200 USD).
This Tuesday the engine went, I have 83,000Km or roughly 50,000 miles. I was about 2 hours into a trip, driving at 100kph (65mph) and she started shaking and then the oil pressure just dropped to 0. No other warning that something was wrong.
The truck was towed to a the closest dealer, where they confirmed that the engine was gone, and that it would need a new engine, however there are 45 ecodiesel engines on back order in Canada, with no delivery date. The service advisor was clear that it would be at least weeks or longer to get the new engine. I have read about others that have had ecodiesels fail, and I thought well that wont be me as I always had the oil changes performed on time with the correct oil, (Rottella T6.) LOL

What can I do, unfortunately as I need a truck the only logical option was to trade my beloved Ecodiesel on another RAM.This time after having the 2 big issues I am staying away from the Ecodiesel, and going with the gas guzzling Hemi. I really feel that even though the Ecodiesel offers great economy, the dependability is not there. To quote the service manager where my failed truck is "Chrysler needed the ecodiesel, but they rushed it to market, it was not well thought out, too many problems are coming in to this dealership".
Now I know many of you have not had problems, I say great you are lucky, but beware.
I pick up my 2018 Hemi powered 1500 tomorrow.
I feel burnt by Chrysler, we all paid a premium for the diesel engine, only to have it fail.

·
Registered
13,966 Posts
Actually the Hemi is a premium price over the more reliable Pentastar base engine.

You are in a tough spot. My guess is the value of the vehicle is a real bummer since I think you are out of your Canadian warranty period. late '14 and early '15 just seemed to have the highest failure rate. That's when they hustled engine production to try and meet the unexpected high demand. The early batch of engines and the ones late '15--16 seemed to be back to the normal operational rate.

Enjoy the new truck. I understand.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Sorry to hear! I have both a 2017 hemi Bighorn and a 2017 Ecodiesel. Both are great trucks. If the hemi blows, I keep driving the diesel. vice versa. At least, it's not a Ford. BTW, I don't think the hemi is a guzzler, gotten as high as 25 mpg with mine.

·
Registered
853 Posts
All this stuff is expensive. RAM, Ford, Chevy ... I could've should've bought a Toyota TRD. Now I'm here for eternity.

·
Registered
4,337 Posts
This is a situation where an extended warranty would have paid for itself...

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
My goodness, how does Ram handle something like that?
Assuming you are talking about the fire. I'm not sure RAM handles anything in that case. I would think all your dealings would be with your insurance company.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Assuming you are talking about the fire. I'm not sure RAM handles anything in that case. I would think all your dealings would be with your insurance company.
So Ram gets out of fixing the vehicle because their design failed so miserably that it rendered the vehicle totaled? Seems unfair...

·
Registered
727 Posts
So if the fire is caused by the oil when engine let go is definitely not insurance liability. Is it going to take one major accident from an engine failure where lives will be lost for FCA to come out and give answers?

·
Registered
49 Posts
So if the fire is caused by the oil when engine let go is definitely not insurance liability. Is it going to take one major accident from an engine failure where lives will be lost for FCA to come out and give answers?
There was so much smoke coming into the cab and from under the hood when our engine failed Saturday that we got out of the tuck because I thought it was on fire, scary situation for sure. Someone else posted a picture in that thread of their truck on fire also, I don't think it was the same person.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Thankfully, nobody was hurt.

Sad to say but, fire damage AFTER the motor failed was likely the best "financial" scenario for the consumer.
This allows for insurance to kick in (providing the consumer has proper insurance coverage) and the consumer can get reimbursed via a claim.

If the engine fails and no other major damage, the consumer is at the mercy of FCA (RAM) to cover the claim under warranty (if truck is still under warranty terms).
It appears that, even if it is covered, there is likely a long wait.

A totaled truck due to a fire does not leave FCA off the hook. Auto Insurance companies may very well go after FCA if a investigations prove over and over that the fire was caused by a manufacturing defect.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
All this stuff is expensive. RAM, Ford, Chevy ... I could've should've bought a Toyota TRD. Now I'm here for eternity.
Extended warranty has nothing to do with my situation, as I was still within the powertrain warranty, Chrysler is replacing the engine no charge, they just didn't know when they would be able to get an engine

·
Registered
30 Posts
Thankfully, nobody was hurt.

Sad to say but, fire damage AFTER the motor failed was likely the best "financial" scenario for the consumer.
This allows for insurance to kick in (providing the consumer has proper insurance coverage) and the consumer can get reimbursed via a claim.

If the engine fails and no other major damage, the consumer is at the mercy of FCA (RAM) to cover the claim under warranty (if truck is still under warranty terms).
It appears that, even if it is covered, there is likely a long wait.

A totaled truck due to a fire does not leave FCA off the hook. Auto Insurance companies may very well go after FCA if a investigations prove over and over that the fire was caused by a manufacturing defect.
Yes, State Farm was VERY interested in the work that was recently completed at the dealership. And while I insisted I'm not a mechanic I told them it smelled like burning oil and the fire started on top of the engine in an area I believed was in front of the turbo.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts