RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like many others, I got the dreaded P203E and CEL. I took the truck in on 6-13 and probably should have be astute enough to skip the 13th. Things went sideways immediately when dealing with the service adviser. She started the paperwork, took my information and then handed it to me to sign. I don't sign without reading, for whatever good it would do when dealing with these stealers. Scanning quickly, I see $265 for diagnostics and quickly complained that the truck is still under several warranties, including an FCA Extended Warranty. She quickly explains that that's how the computer makes up the work order and that if any warranty covers it they will credit it back after the work is done. Right... I can just imagine how that will go. So, I explain to her that I have extended warranty and AEM warranty. "Sir, I don't know how AEM handles their warranties". At that point, I figure that I might as well sign, go away and wait for my truck to be fixed and then worry about warranties. So, I sign and go back home and try to forget it. But too soon... because an email is waiting already. To my surprise, and because I didn't read the second page of the work order, I now see the total of $530 for two diagnostics, one for the CEL and one for the stuck DEF gauge.

Two days go by and no call from them. I'm thinking that they must be having trouble diagnosing the problem so I decided to call them. After several attempts to get through and leaving messages, I finally got through to the service advisor. She spoke slow and unsure of what to say, uttering "how's it going today... uh, we are having a problem getting your truck into the shop to diagnose the problems. Uh, you see, there was a problem with moving the vehicles in the lot. We have your truck in the body shop now to repair the slight dent. They think that they can just pull the fender back out". I replied that I felt sick and that I didn't want to hear anything about it, so call me when you have a diagnosis. I hung up.

Well stay tuned, as I'm guessing that this is going to turnout to be a fiasco of grand proportions.

·
Super Moderator
2,707 Posts
Sorry to hear this. There are way to many horror stories like this about stealerships. :oops: It’s bad enough they’re probably to incompetent to diagnose the issue, then on top they managed to dent your vehicle. Sounds as though they‘re going to owe you. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well that really stinks , Gene. It's been a while and I was just thinking about you. I hope things turn out okay for you.
Hi Joe, it has been a while. I do peek in, but it's not like in the beginning when the problems were all new to us. Now, it's mostly revisiting the old ones, like mine. At least I will know how to argue my case. It was actually the dented fender that set me off. We'll have to see how they do and if they honor the AEM warranty, or if they even acknowledge that such a thing exists. So far, it sounds like they never heard of AEM. I am really surprised as this is a huge stealership.

BTW, it's amusing to look at the window stickers with the "Market Adjustment $5,000" added at the bottom. That's what I used to call Magic Money, cause you don't know where in the hell it came from.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, as some of you may have expected, here's the estimate that I received today, with no mention of warranty coverage.

DEF pump $1034.88
DEF tank $2899.88
Def injector $598.00
DEF fluid $270.18

I can see that this is going to be fun when I pay them a visit tomorrow.

Reactions: Captainmal

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
Gene , Before I started in on warranty and questionable repair cost ?

I’d first ask and make sure about parts availability and when your truck will be repaired and returned to you, Wait to start any issues until after the truck is repaired.. Just play like your a Happy Smiling Dum Ass everything is OK …

Assuming Getting your truck repaired is the first priority ? Then once your truck is repaired,Now bring up the warranty issues and questionable billing, Then hopefully you at least have your truck back ,..I believe you have to get your truck repaired anyway?

If you start in on them , Most likely your truck will go to the back of the lot and be waiting on parts for a LONG TIME … Dealership’s really enjoy double dipping ,
Unfortunately it’s an Extremely Common Practice…

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Any chance that you can find a tune to delete the DEF system? GDE deleted mine before the EPA came down on them. Got the code then had GDE delete for $50. 100,000 miles ago, never looked back. The 1 time that I took my truck to the dealer, they killed my radio.... I've used Mazda, Toyota, Subaru and Dodge/Ram dealers over the years. All equally good at emptying your wallet.

Reactions: Anomaly

·
Super Moderator
4,024 Posts
I restored my GDE tunes and tossed the AEM warranty before leaving the dealership. Just outside the service bay used a socket wrench the service manager handed me. But the monies helped recoup my investment and time. Never had a DEF problem because I moved to a full d at 265k. Gene this lady service advisor (former mechanic? :LOL:) and dealership sound terrible. I take it this is not a country dealership who depends on repeat customers have diesel techs and whos sales involve a good percentage of diesel trucks. I say that because otherwise they would suggest cleaning the clogged part instead of wholesale replacement of everything related. Usually they only do that when its on warranty or Ram's dime. The tech and service department must think they need that money more that you do.

If the focus isn't to fix the truck permanently and for reliability but rather to make warranty pay. You have to do your homework be prepared stand your ground and be prepared to bring an attorney into it. I know people who believe in the marxist government agenda would say I'm not being politically correct. Well I was before I realized progressive agenda politicians break laws to write policy for their agenda always titled as something other than its real purpose which I see as treasonous so.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I would ask to have them print the sheet that has all the recalls done on your vehicle. If the AEM/ V11 emissions is done, then ask them why Chrysler isn't paying for it under the AEM Extended Warranty And hand them the doc. up in post #6. It is part of the agreement that Chrysler has with the Government/EPA. I've been traveling on Warranty Road, mostly uphill, for 6 months and the owner of the dealership said he would do what he could for warranties because I was never yelling or screaming. It was finally all covered.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Gene , Before I started in on warranty and questionable repair cost ?

I’d first ask and make sure about parts availability and when your truck will be repaired and returned to you, Wait to start any issues until after the truck is repaired.. Just play like your a Happy Smiling Dum Ass everything is OK …

Assuming Getting your truck repaired is the first priority ? Then once your truck is repaired,Now bring up the warranty issues and questionable billing, Then hopefully you at least have your truck back ,..I believe you have to get your truck repaired anyway?

If you start in on them , Most likely your truck will go to the back of the lot and be waiting on parts for a LONG TIME … Dealership’s really enjoy double dipping ,
Unfortunately it’s an Extremely Common Practice…
Donny, good advice but I may have blown it already. As soon as I received the text with the estimate, I replied "I don't see anything mentioned about warranty coverage". I am hoping to capture their intent on a text, which would be good evidence in court if they don't come through.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Any chance that you can find a tune to delete the DEF system? GDE deleted mine before the EPA came down on them. Got the code then had GDE delete for $50. 100,000 miles ago, never looked back. The 1 time that I took my truck to the dealer, they killed my radio.... I've used Mazda, Toyota, Subaru and Dodge/Ram dealers over the years. All equally good at emptying your wallet.
No tunes here, as CA does smog inspections on diesels.
I restored my GDE tunes and tossed the AEM warranty before leaving the dealership. Just outside the service bay used a socket wrench the service manager handed me. But the monies helped recoup my investment and time. Never had a DEF problem because I moved to a full d at 265k. Gene this lady service advisor (former mechanic? :LOL:) and dealership sound terrible. I take it this is not a country dealership who depends on repeat customers have diesel techs and whos sales involve a good percentage of diesel trucks. I say that because otherwise they would suggest cleaning the clogged part instead of wholesale replacement of everything related. Usually they only do that when its on warranty or Ram's dime. The tech and service department must think they need that money more that you do.

If the focus isn't to fix the truck permanently and for reliability but rather to make warranty pay. You have to do your homework be prepared stand your ground and be prepared to bring an attorney into it. I know people who believe in the marxist government agenda would say I'm not being politically correct. Well I was before I realized progressive agenda politicians break laws to write policy for their agenda always titled as something other than its real purpose which I see as treasonous so.
Unfortunately, the service advisor gal didn't know squat about warranties, other than the extended warranty. She did acknowledge that I had that, with a $100 deductible, but no further mention of it in the estimate. I assume that they are going to try to deny any warranty coverage, However, I am prepared to leave the truck there and pursue this for however long it takes, with the assistance of an attorney if necessary. I've had enough of this CA Sillycon Valley bullshit. The least expensive diesel in now $6.79/gal. The stealers have adopted a new term, "Market Adjustment" which typically runs $5,000 over MSRP on RAM Trucks and varies for other vehicles. Some food items have jumped as much as 50%. Another CA first is that they are trying to pass a bill that requires firearm owners to have liability insurance. I can't bend over any farther, my hands are already on the ground and I can't afford any more Vaseline.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Perhaps I got upset prematurely, as usual. Here's the text message that I received from the stealer this morning.

Good morning, I got it all covered under the 10/120 X78 3.0 DIESEL Warranty =)
I will order the parts today, vehicle will be here for a little over a week or so. I will update you at my return to see where we're at next Wednesday. Have a good day and a good rest of your week. Again, thank you for your patience., -Erica

Too good to be true? We'll have to see how it goes. The DEF fluid had better be covered too, as I don't relish paying $33.75/gal for it. Interestingly, when I went back to the estimate link to print it out, it was gone. Oh well, she says "all covered" so will have to wait and see.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts