RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Ecodiesel Laramie
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All,

I know, I know....this has probably been beaten to death, but I wanted to check my specific circumstances as I am fairly new to towing. I am going on a turkey hunt this weekend and taking 3 of my buddies with me along with my trailer, so a little concerned about payload. So, I weighed my truck, then hooked up the trailer and weighed again. Below are the results:

Steer Axle: 3720
Drive Axle: 2920
Trailer Axle: 0
Gross: 6,640

Steer Axle: 3600
Drive Axle: 3480
Trailer Axle: 4220
Gross 11,300

This was with two of us in the truck, so I have two more guys (say ~200 lbs each) to add to the cab. I assume, the weight will be split evenly across the two axles, so only 200 lbs more on the steer axle keeping me under the 3900 lb rating? If we put all of our gear in the trailer above the trailer axle, do you think we will be ok? I also have a topper on right now that probably weighs around 150-200 lbs (total guess, never lifted it), I would rather not take it off if I don't have to....do I need to? Lastly, my Anderson hitch had the trailer a little less than flat, and I couldn't adjust because one side was jammed and I didn't have a wrench. The trailer tongue actually needs to come down a little further, which will take more weight off the front? I calculated the hitch weight at 440 or about 10.4%, am I calculating this correctly? Assume we add another 500 lbs of gear/food/beer to the trailer, that would add another 50 lbs to the truck which should be inconsequential?

Sorry, I know this is a lot of questions, any help is greatly appreciated!

·
Super Moderator
3,235 Posts
Safety & stability wise you will be fine. Some would point out that you may be slightly over your GVWR IE over Mfgr maximum spec. This could be a legality issue in some jurisdictions but you would really be splitting hairs. I’d leave the topper.

440 is correct. I calculate the tongue weight by dividing the 440 by the gross trailer weight which is 4220 trailer axle plus 440 tongue weight IE 4660 or 9 1/2 percent. But after adding that 900 pounds you’re seen by scale slips TW & drive axle weight Assuming no WDH adjustments should come up. Both of which is good.

She should do this like it’s her job. Limit yourself to 65 and perhaps impress the guys by pulling off an average of 14 miles a gallon. The only bad news is they will want you to drive again next year.

·
Registered
2017 Ecodiesel Laramie
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
@VernDiesel Thanks so much! This is exactly what I came here for! I was hoping this was the case as I have been towing pretty well with the fam (wife and 9month old) over mountain passes and with much more in the bed of the truck. Honestly, I haven't paid much attention to weights until I started doing a little more reading on this forum lately. So far, really impressed with this truck and hoping to get as much life out of it as you have!

I also have one more question that has been bugging me....when stopping for gas with a load, do you let the turbo cool down before shutting off and pumping? Or is it not a big deal since you will be getting right back in and turning on again in 5 minutes?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts