RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Overall, I want to say I am very pleased with my new GDE Tune. I purchased the GDE Ram 1500 Hot Tune with the Engine Braking option and installed it on my 2017 EcoDiesel. It has 3.92 rear-end and was a completely stock Laramie. I had 13501 miles on it before the tune. I have just finished my first tank full on the GDE tune.

Conditions
I live in western North Carolina, in the mountains. I live 1 mile off a 4-lane, divided, 55 mph highway. No matter which way I head, I have rolling mountains with grades up to about 8%. I live about ten miles from town with about a dozen traffic lights. Basically, I have few stop-and-go, city miles nor many 70 mph interstate miles. In general, my mileage dropped when running 70 mph on the interstate relative to my every-day driving.

The Good

1) Install time - The install took about 20 minutes. Most of that looking for my damn tools. Next time it will be a lot less.

2) Turbo lag - I can no longer detect any Turbo lag. Certainly not the 1 to 2 second pucker-factor pulling out onto the 55 mph state highway.

3) Gear holding - Going up hills, I find that it holds higher gears far longer than it did before. I routinely travel across the mountain from North Carolina to Tennessee through the Great Smokies National Park. Up hill, it pretty much can hold 7th most of the way where it routinely dropped to 5th and 6th.

4) Engine Braking - Fantastic engine braking. Although, I am not towing so far, I can travel the mountain pass from NC to TN and back without braking due to grade and never going over about 3000 rpm. Before, I would routinely have to drop to third, at over 3500 rpm and still need to apply brakes.

5) Mileage (the most important) - In my first 27 fill ups before the GDE tune, I only achieved over 600 miles on a tank full... four times. My calculated average for those 27 tanks was 24.6 mpg (see my Fuelly Signature below). My highest tank average was 27.3 mpg. This first tank on the GDE tune was 727 miles with a calculated average of 28.8 mpg. I feel that I probably was babying it... trying to eek out the best mileage. Time will tell.

6) Customer Support - Excellent. I got a response far sooner than I expected. (see below)

The So-so - There were two things that I was not pleased about... but...

1) Hard downshifts - I was on the fence between a heavy duty with the Cummins and the EcoDiesel. I will likely be towing less than 10% of the time and rarely will I go over 6000 lbs. I have a 9000 lb tractor/trailer combo that I hope I will never need to tow and thus regret my decision. I finally went with the ED for its mileage and mainly for it comfort and refinement. I never experienced a hard downshift before the GDE tune. I was very pleased with the day-to-day travel. My first test loop with the GDE tune I experienced the hard downshifts (mainly from 8th to 7th gear) seven times. In a normal trip from home, I experience it at least once. I was almost ready to return the unit and ask for a refund. I decided to give it more time and I also sent GDE a lengthy letter detailing my symptoms and conditions. They were extremely responsive and indicated that the "Artificial Intelligence in the engine/transmission computers should improve the harsh downshifting, but to let them know if I continue to have the problem. I am very impressed with them. In the 600 miles since that initial letter, I do believe I perceive that it is improving. Although I still experience some harshness, I do believe, both the tolerance of grade and the severity of the downshift are both getting better.

2) Mileage Indicated - I WAS really exited about my truck computer reported mileage. For the entire 700+ miles, it reported that I was getting between 30 and 32 mpg. At the fill up the computer indicated I had a tank average of 30.9 mpg. My calculated mileage was only 28.8 mpg. (see my Fuelly Signature below). Although within the estimated improvement, it was a great let-down from the 30.9 mpg from the computer. BTW - For all 27 tank fulls before the GDE tune, the computer estimate was never over 0.1 mpg off the hand calculated.

Over time, I expect I'll comment as I get more tanks under my belt. For now I'm very happy with the tune and highly recommend it. If you also got your ED for its day-to-day refined travel experience, have patience with the hard downshifts. I think they are getting better.

·
Registered
3,732 Posts
Good to hear another happy customer.

You should be happy with that mileage. I'm getting a solid 26 right now with GDE and 3.55 gears.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
As the Fuelly below shows, I've had four fill-ups and wanted to give an update:

1) The hard downshifts have improved greatly. I'd almost say they're as good as before the tune.
2) The mileage is obviously better and every tank either did go over 700 miles or would have, had I not had favorable gas stops AND a co-pilot that won't let her car below half a tank.
3) The computer has been consistently overly optimistic showing 30 to 32 mpg. It was always dead-on before the tune. But this is just a TRIVIAL pet peave.

I've also added a BAFX Bluetooth OBDII code tool ($23) and programmed it with tips from this site. Way cool device!

As pertains to this update... I can now see how my DPF cycle is going and can watch both the trigger (at 80%) and watch the exhaust gas temperatures go up and mileage go down. It is also now showing me that my DPF distance is 771 miles. I don't know what it was before the tune, but others have said that its usually under 300 miles.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Regarding the hard downshift from 8th to 7th... I experienced the same thing when I installed a GDE ECM. On GDE’s advice, I manually reset the ‘learned’ shift adaptations in the transmission, and the behavior went away immediately. Shirts as smooth as butter now, no jolt when unlocking and downshifting on hills.

I could do the manual reset as I’d also purchase their trans tune, and the ODBII programmer that is used to install the trans tune can also be used to reset the ‘AI’ as you call it. I believe many other aftermarket readers can also do this.

However, the trans will also learn on its own to make the shifts smooth, just have to drive it like you did.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I could do the manual reset as I’d also purchase their trans tune, and the ODBII programmer that is used to install the trans tune can also be used to reset the ‘AI’ as you call it. I believe many other aftermarket readers can also do this.
I would like to manually reset mine to have it re-learn. What do I look for in my ODBII reader to see if it can do this?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Regarding the hard downshift from 8th to 7th... I experienced the same thing when I installed a GDE ECM. On GDE’s advice, I manually reset the ‘learned’ shift adaptations in the transmission, and the behavior went away immediately. Shirts as smooth as butter now, no jolt when unlocking and downshifting on hills.

However, the trans will also learn on its own to make the shifts smooth, just have to drive it like you did.
Interesting... when I contacted GDE about it... and I was extremely thorough in my explanation, boundary conditions and extents, they replied quickly, but didn't mention about this manual reset. They said to just give it some more time.

Edit: just read the rest of the posts... GDE knew that I didn't have their flash tool, so they rightly didn't mention that I could reset it.

·
Registered
700 Posts
I guess I have gotten used to the quirky EVIC on my '17 Tradesman Eco.

The only time my EVIC was spot on to hand calculation was out ten week trip towing around America.

IF, I drove the same speed all day, same general grade, wind, etc, as the previous tank, it could be spot on to hand calculations. I think the EVIC spends too much time looking in the rear view mirror versus being in the moment.

But it is close enough for government work.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Overall, I want to say I am very pleased with my new GDE Tune. I purchased the GDE Ram 1500 Hot Tune with the Engine Braking option and installed it on my 2017 EcoDiesel. It has 3.92 rear-end and was a completely stock Laramie. I had 13501 miles on it before the tune. I have just finished my first tank full on the GDE tune.

Conditions
I live in western North Carolina, in the mountains. I live 1 mile off a 4-lane, divided, 55 mph highway. No matter which way I head, I have rolling mountains with grades up to about 8%. I live about ten miles from town with about a dozen traffic lights. Basically, I have few stop-and-go, city miles nor many 70 mph interstate miles. In general, my mileage dropped when running 70 mph on the interstate relative to my every-day driving.

The Good

1) Install time - The install took about 20 minutes. Most of that looking for my damn tools. Next time it will be a lot less.

2) Turbo lag - I can no longer detect any Turbo lag. Certainly not the 1 to 2 second pucker-factor pulling out onto the 55 mph state highway.

3) Gear holding - Going up hills, I find that it holds higher gears far longer than it did before. I routinely travel across the mountain from North Carolina to Tennessee through the Great Smokies National Park. Up hill, it pretty much can hold 7th most of the way where it routinely dropped to 5th and 6th.

4) Engine Braking - Fantastic engine braking. Although, I am not towing so far, I can travel the mountain pass from NC to TN and back without braking due to grade and never going over about 3000 rpm. Before, I would routinely have to drop to third, at over 3500 rpm and still need to apply brakes.

5) Mileage (the most important) - In my first 27 fill ups before the GDE tune, I only achieved over 600 miles on a tank full... four times. My calculated average for those 27 tanks was 24.6 mpg (see my Fuelly Signature below). My highest tank average was 27.3 mpg. This first tank on the GDE tune was 727 miles with a calculated average of 28.8 mpg. I feel that I probably was babying it... trying to eek out the best mileage. Time will tell.

6) Customer Support - Excellent. I got a response far sooner than I expected. (see below)

The So-so - There were two things that I was not pleased about... but...

1) Hard downshifts - I was on the fence between a heavy duty with the Cummins and the EcoDiesel. I will likely be towing less than 10% of the time and rarely will I go over 6000 lbs. I have a 9000 lb tractor/trailer combo that I hope I will never need to tow and thus regret my decision. I finally went with the ED for its mileage and mainly for it comfort and refinement. I never experienced a hard downshift before the GDE tune. I was very pleased with the day-to-day travel. My first test loop with the GDE tune I experienced the hard downshifts (mainly from 8th to 7th gear) seven times. In a normal trip from home, I experience it at least once. I was almost ready to return the unit and ask for a refund. I decided to give it more time and I also sent GDE a lengthy letter detailing my symptoms and conditions. They were extremely responsive and indicated that the "Artificial Intelligence in the engine/transmission computers should improve the harsh downshifting, but to let them know if I continue to have the problem. I am very impressed with them. In the 600 miles since that initial letter, I do believe I perceive that it is improving. Although I still experience some harshness, I do believe, both the tolerance of grade and the severity of the downshift are both getting better.

2) Mileage Indicated - I WAS really exited about my truck computer reported mileage. For the entire 700+ miles, it reported that I was getting between 30 and 32 mpg. At the fill up the computer indicated I had a tank average of 30.9 mpg. My calculated mileage was only 28.8 mpg. (see my Fuelly Signature below). Although within the estimated improvement, it was a great let-down from the 30.9 mpg from the computer. BTW - For all 27 tank fulls before the GDE tune, the computer estimate was never over 0.1 mpg off the hand calculated.

Over time, I expect I'll comment as I get more tanks under my belt. For now I'm very happy with the tune and highly recommend it. If you also got your ED for its day-to-day refined travel experience, have patience with the hard downshifts. I think they are getting better.
Sounds like either 28 from Stechoa or US-74 to Murphy? Absolute beautiful there...my dad retired to Stecoah and has a 15' ED.

Your engine is still breaking in and will continue to do so. My GDE gets that or less up there and the hills cause a 8/7 downshift w/ 3.55 so you have the correct gears for there. The 'lie-O-meter' (EVIC) is close in flat Florida but can be way off there vs the hand.

MY MPG tanks over 70 and typically run 75-85 depending on flow here in FL. 70mph on I-95 or I-75 will get you steam rolled here, even by tractor trailers.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sounds like either 28 from Stechoa or US-74 to Murphy? ...
70mph on I-95 or I-75 will get you steam rolled here, even by tractor trailers.
Yes, US-74, nearer Sylva.

Steam rolled - Know what you mean... State 400 North out of Atlanta was justifiably called the Georgia Autobahn. Seen 100 mph and still getting passed by 10% of the traffic.

Just looked at your Fuelly... 184K+ and as least some is towing a good size boat. Good to know.

·
Registered
3,125 Posts
Inq , I see you wrote more than once how you got 700 miles to a tank ,
wondering if you let it go to empty before fueling ???
there are threads about the lift pump in the fuel tank , that mention the fact the lift pump is cooled
by the fuel itself , after the high pressure fuel pump , under the hood , pressurises the fuel to 29'000 Psi , the unused
fuel is sent back to the tank , the pressurisation gets the fuel warm , and when running the tank
lower than 1/4 , the cooling of the lift pump is not optimal , the $ 575 lift pump failed on some trucks already ,
even more important , if the lift pump starves the Bosch CP4 HPFP , this one will fail ,
that is a $12K to $15K fix , replacing all fuel tubing , 6 injectors , HPFP , fuel rails , a big mess .
recommandations were to not let fuel tank go lower than 1/4 if possible .
just a heads-up .

·
Registered
12,442 Posts
INQ,

Sylva and that area is where I spend near a month each Summer. I stay in Maggie Valley and ride motorcycle all over your area. Sure know that one redlight on the steep 441 downhill near Dillsboro. Nice to have turbo braking from GDE all around there.

Now mostly, if the weather is decent, I am not using my truck but on motorcycle. When it is miserable I run around, even up and into the Cataloochee Valley for the elk, I get my best fuel mileage into the 30's. Sure know of the steep mountains but that turbo brake lets me coast downhill to make up for it. One of my favorite roads that I road a few weeks ago is that 1001 through Ellijay. The northern part is sure fun, like the "Dragon". You have great roads to ride there. Lucky man - until it is Winter then I am glad to be outta there.

Enjoy your GDE and the ride. Next time you pass the Visitors' Center - say "Hi" to the groundhogs there for me.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Inq , I see you wrote more than once how you got 700 miles to a tank ,
wondering if you let it go to empty before fueling ???
there are threads about the lift pump in the fuel tank , that mention the fact the lift pump is cooled
by the fuel itself , after the high pressure fuel pump , under the hood , pressurises the fuel to 29'000 Psi , the unused
fuel is sent back to the tank , the pressurisation gets the fuel warm , and when running the tank
lower than 1/4 , the cooling of the lift pump is not optimal , the $ 575 lift pump failed on some trucks already ,
even more important , if the lift pump starves the Bosch CP4 HPFP , this one will fail ,
that is a $12K to $15K fix , replacing all fuel tubing , 6 injectors , HPFP , fuel rails , a big mess .
recommandations were to not let fuel tank go lower than 1/4 if possible .
just a heads-up .
Thank you for the information. I've gotten it under when it goes to "Fuel low" messages instead of ~24 miles to go.

With the big 3 testing their trucks in heat and cold abuse, I wouldn't have even thought something like this was an issue. But I will definitely take your advice now!

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Yes, US-74, nearer Sylva.

Steam rolled - Know what you mean... State 400 North out of Atlanta was justifiably called the Georgia Autobahn. Seen 100 mph and still getting passed by 10% of the traffic.

Just looked at your Fuelly... 184K+ and as least some is towing a good size boat. Good to know.
Stunning sunrises there heading East into Waynesville! Have seen the 'flashing lights' several times on Thomas Divide slightly into the Blue Ridge PKWY...are you aware of them and what it is? The Cherokee Elders we met were surprised we were able to see them until they learned my Great Grandfather was full blood from Oklahoma.

Truck has 194,000 now...fuelly doesn't count missed fill ups. My X is the main mule but this power-train is very stout.

The Thomas Divide | Western Carolinian

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
shawclan5,

I haven't heard of the lights at the Thomas Divide. Asked the wife. She's born and raised here... she knows of it, but then she also knows the Chief.
She hasn't seen them. We'll head over there some night this week and give a look-see. According to your article... she'll see them, but I'm not holding out much hope that I will.
Between being an all-white, Heinz 57 of just about every western European country and an retired science/engineering type, I think I'm SOL.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts