RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pouring rain at the rifle range this morning. If you look past that little road on the left and a bit off the corner of the range cover you can barely make out the 1,000 yard targets. This was taken when we had good visibility. Shoot cancelled. We could not see the targets. Now everyone wants to look at the truck.

Up went the hood and answered lots of questions. One thing to note about my truck now is the antenna on the left side. That mount is a Pro-Fit and it does. Built a terminal block on that plate behind the parking brake release. Cut an 1 1/4" hole in the firewall through that plastic plate with the round hole visible from the back. Got a wiring boot to fit and ran dedicated wires from the battery to the terminal block.

After that it is simple to set CB and amateur radios on the hump and add a radar detector and GPS on the dash. Each can be easily wired from the terminal block.

The deflector is AVS as are the window covers. Those are the slip-in models and look good. Only thing is three of them took a bit of trimming so the windows would go up properly.

Think I'm about done with external additions. Coming up next will be fuel tank time.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Looking good! God bless the states! I would love to be able to use a radar detector, here is you get caught with one they pretty much string u up... brutal and it seems around toronto there is radar checks everywhere!

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Is there any company making larger fuel tanks for our trucks yet? I looked a few weeks ago and couldn't find skwat

·
Registered
13,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not that I'm aware of. The problem with a replacement fuel tank is there's no space under the truck. Go under and look. That darn DEF tank takes up space that could be used for a larger fuel tank.

I'm going to put a 20 gallon inside the bed near the cab on the driver's side. That cap has a window on that side that lifts up to fill the tank.

·
Registered
273 Posts
One drawback of the external antenna on these trucks is the possibility that a car wash will rip it out or bend it. Ran through a newly built one yesterday and the rotating brushes appeared to give the antenna a good workout. No problems, but I see a potential issue down the road. May need to see if it can be unscrewed in the future. Anyone else have any issues ?

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Ouch! You are a brave man to use a car wash that isn't touchless!!

·
Registered
273 Posts
Ouch! You are a brave man to use a car wash that isn't touchless!!
Chris12559, yes, I know. However the "touchless" car washes are a joke, at least around here. My hose (non-pressurized) works better. Short of washing it myself, which I do from time-to time, we have several brand new car washes that have softer styled brushes that don't scratch the finish as the older versions did. They also have much more water spraying over the vehicles too which helps.

The antenna comes of really easily. A pair of pliers and it unscrews in seconds.
Malinois, you are quite right ! Just used an 8 mm wrench and it came right off. Will definitely do this next time.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Anyone know if the antenna is used only for FM. Want to put a shorty on, but don't want to shortchange satellite. I doubt GPS is used by this antenna.
Pretty sure its for the AM/FM only as the SiriusXM antenna is on the roof on my truck driver side over second seat (Crew Cab). Simple test thought, unscrew it and see if you get reception.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Pretty sure its for the AM/FM only as the SiriusXM antenna is on the roof on my truck driver side over second seat (Crew Cab). Simple test thought, unscrew it and see if you get reception.
Ya my truck is set up the same way

·
Registered
10 Posts
Anyone know if the antenna is used only for FM. Want to put a shorty on, but don't want to shortchange satellite. I doubt GPS is used by this antenna.
I had a shorty on my 2012 1500. It didn't affect the XM radio, or NAV or any of that.
It did affect the quality of the FM/AM sound and range though. It was "OK", and I loved the look... but I'm still not sure I'm going to put one on the 2014.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts