RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

"Anti-Spin Differential Rear Axle" vs "Limited Slip Differential Rear Axle"

10K views 31 replies 11 participants last post by  Patroller8D 
#1 ·
I do a fair amount of off pavement (and recently off road) travel for hunting trips. Using 4WD Low more than I ever thought I would. After waiting since March of this year to receive my order, I'm getting ready to install my new AFE Power rear diff cover. Looking on the forum for recommendations on oil. Thanks to those who contributed. Funny how opinions differ so much. May I assume that "Anti-Spin Differential Rear Axle" (as stated on my truck build sheet from RAM) is the same as "Limited Slip Differential Rear Axle" (what the oil industry calls it)?
Automotive tire Bottle cap Rim Automotive exterior Rectangle

See less See more
#5 ·
Bounty Hunter...I looked at the Banks product and liked it. Unfortunately they do not make a rear diff cover for 1500 RAM trucks.

Reactions: SavagePatch
#7 ·
I ran a MagHytec pan for almost 300,000 miles on my last Ram. When I traded it in on my Ecodiesel, the carrier bearing was getting slightly loud. My 2 cents: if you are going to put a lot of miles on her, leave the stock pan on. Gale Banks is no dummy, though, I think he is clueless when it comes to tuning Ecodiesels.

Reactions: Kneebull
#9 ·
Gale Banks is no dummy, though, I think he is clueless when it comes to tuning Ecodiesels.
I wouldn't say clueless. Maybe he just picks his battles a little more wisely and wishes to stay under the EPA's thumb.

PapaCap, run what makes you happy. I just put the info out there and truck owner's can do as they wish. Doesn't make it right or wrong.

Reactions: Crash68 and HYDREX
#8 ·
I don’t care to argue about why I bought something. That’s not why I started this thread. Besides, I cannot trust a manufacturer who stands by a pyramid scheme oil company. His design of the rear diff cover certainly has merit but, again, they don’t make em for the 1500. Why? Probably not enough actual need for an increased capacity, cooling fin equipped, easier to do oil changes diff cover as with the 2500 & 3500 rigs. If there was even an equal need on 1500 trucks they would have made those first due to the far greater number of em on the road. Just my $.02

#12 ·
okay guys, give it a rest. Nobody wants this type of input. You don't know me or my needs / desires. Don't waste everyone's time by posting rubbish.

Reactions: SavagePatch
#17 ·
My man you do what you want. Your truck.. however be forewarned that square backed diff covers severely affect lubricant for throughout the differential. Banks did a lot of work to show that they actually are likely to cause damage rather than help.

That video posted above should be an eye opener. Dont get mad that people don't just agree with you or support your decisions. Honest info and feedback makes us all better and smarter in the long run.

#15 ·
That's a great pan, excellent choice! It has a sloped back to mimic the OEM pan. Much different than the "flat back" Mag Hytek pans.

I would run Amsoil 75w140 (no need for Limited Slip additive) if you can find it for a reasonable price. Should only be a couple bucks more per quart than the major label brands. Run it 30k miles (my preference) or forever.

I have an AFE air intake, oil pan, and diff cover. I've also ran their oil filters. Great company.

#20 ·
dANG it... I got all excited about the banks unit... untill i read it's not available... I was sold on the point of having an "O" ring seal. RTV is for lazy engineers.. in my humble opinion. The maintenance of the diff seems much better as well. Because i do my own work... well... as much as i can.. I liked this unit. I really hope they produce one for the truck. I'd pick one up for sure.

After watching the Banks video, looks like any of the other Flat Back units wont be better than stock. Thanks for posting the vid Bounty Hunter!

#22 ·
I got all excited about the banks unit... untill i read it's not available... I was sold on the point of having an "O" ring seal.
Look into the LubeLocker gasket for the differential cover. When installed properly, people report being able to reuse the gasket.

#21 ·
Telling a guy to return something he just bought or that the buyer wanted an “earring” for his truck doesn’t help and IS rubbish. My initial post didn’t invite this kind of responses and they are BS. Civil? Perhaps. Poking the bear? Yup. Opinions are great. I don’t need the kind of responses given by Shaggn85 or Bounty Hunter. Perhaps responding to the OP’s question or concern would be better for all.

#25 ·
Sorry Bounty Hunter. My mistake. It was MAS with his “earring” comment. Please accept my apology.

#27 ·
I'm curious as to the benefit the OP is looking to get out of this product.

There are arguments for adding lube capacity but we have tons of people towing very heavy with no rear end issues with the stock setup. Just not seeing the benefit.

In addition, the afe site seems to be selling the wrong oil with this. Im pretty sure you need 75-140 for the rear. That does not inspire confidence in me.

Dont get mad. Literally just trying to help or understand what ur after.

#31 · (Edited)
My reasons are the ability to view the oil level in the sight glass, easily change fluid, magnetic plugs to capture/identify any metal shavings which could indicate wear, and increased oil capacity. Driving off pavement on often very poor quality and steep roads in 4WD Low a long way from pavement gives me added need for parts that can reduce potential breakdowns. I suppose the good looks of the cover is a bonus but I’d never buy it for that as a main reason. The roads out here on the photo are not very forgiving.
Cloud Sky Natural landscape Highland Plant

Reactions: Kneebull
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.