RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
2014 RAM Big Horn 4x4 Quad diesel
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a weeping antifreeze leak when I noticed the tank level was slowly dropping. I'd lost about 3 cups over a month or two, and topped it up with 1.5 quarts of the Mopar. I found dime-size drops of the antifreeze on the floor centered just back of the wheel hubs. I followed the drip trail up the right side of the motor and found what I believe to be the source of the weeping.

I'm not yet familiar with the ED. Would this be the beginnings of something major, or can I just continue to keep an eye on the level and top up as needed?

Appreciate your advice.

·
Administrator
2015 Outdoorsman EcoD CC w/6.4' 4X4
5,184 Posts
That looks like the side of the EGR cooler, has that one been replaced under the recall?

·
Premium Member
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That looks like the side of the EGR cooler, has that one been replaced under the recall?
Yes, the VB1 recall was done Oct 2019.

Maybe an issue with the fitting seals?

·
Premium Member
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
According to RAM, the truck had all recalls and campaigns done (except for the W58) before I bought it Sep 2020.

I have no idea as to if this was the revised part. Any way to identify it?

·
Premium Member
90 Posts
I have seen EGR coolers with two different codes printed on the label. (1) EGM 6 and (2) EGMHT. Your EGR has the EGMHT code on it. Same as the replacement on my '16 under recall. My original EGR cooler had the EGM 6 code on it. I have seen some recall replacements posted on here with the EGM 6 code. Wonder what the difference is?

·
Premium Member
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
FYI it’s a Canadian market truck and all recalls were done by Toronto dealers before it came back to US.

·
Registered
419 Posts
I may be wrong.....but I thought the redesigned cooler came available in 2020?
Yes, the recall was issued in October of 2019 with parts available in April of 2020.

According to RAM, the truck had all recalls and campaigns done (except for the W58) before I bought it Sep 2020.

I have no idea as to if this was the revised part. Any way to identify it?
If Ram says the recalls were done prior to you buying it, that is likely the case (I assume you bought from a Ram dealer). The best way to tell is by the build date on the sticker, yours is 200220 or february 20, 2020. It's probably safe to say that this is the new style EGR as it was built after the recall was issued and the date fits nicely for being one of the first available in april of 2020.

Canadian or US truck wouldn't matter.

As for the leak, the only reason to "keep an eye on ... and top up" coolant is if you are still looking for the source of the leak. Once you've found it, it's time to fix it. It's hard to tell from the pictures if it's just the hose leaking because the clamp isn't tight enough, or if it's leaking at the base of the fitting. If the former, then put a better hose clamp on it and keep on trucking. If the latter, maybe you can replace the fitting but if not you may be looking at another EGR replacement.

As a Canadian transplant truck I know you're SOL with regard to warranty so an EGR replacement would be costly. And since we are all law abiding citizens here I will not suggest that it might be less hassle to tune and delete the EGR :)

·
Premium Member
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
As a Canadian transplant truck I know you're SOL with regard to warranty so an EGR replacement would be costly. And since we are all law abiding citizens here I will not suggest that it might be less hassle to tune and delete the EGR :)
Yea, bums me about warranty. They are all built on the same assembly line with a single parts supply chain. They act as if Canada was another country or something…

·
Registered
2021 Ram 2500 Tradesman Crew Cab 6.7 L Turbo Cummins 3.73
1,351 Posts
I found a weeping antifreeze leak when I noticed the tank level was slowly dropping. I'd lost about 3 cups over a month or two, and topped it up with 1.5 quarts of the Mopar. I found dime-size drops of the antifreeze on the floor centered just back of the wheel hubs. I followed the drip trail up the right side of the motor and found what I believe to be the source of the weeping.

I'm not yet familiar with the ED. Would this be the beginnings of something major, or can I just continue to keep an eye on the level and top up as needed?

Appreciate your advice.

View attachment 89876 View attachment 89877
I had problems with those types of hose clamps though in a different spot on my 2017 on the oil cooler to the transmission cooler coolant hose from day one new.

The fix was stainless steel worm type hose clamps.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts