RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all. im having a 18 ecodisel with about 26000km. I've got the recall letter long time ago. First time I went to the dealer they said they are not able to do anything. second time they said missing some parts need to back order, however the manufature does not allow the dealer to order for now. dkw. im just wondering be4 they help me replce the parts. what should I do when Im driving?

·
Registered
2018 Ram 1500 Ecodeisel Laramie 4x4
3 Posts
Look for user “RamCares” on here, they may be able help. I have an 18 also, just bought with 10k miles and now have engine light related to the egr cooler according to the dealer, but they say they don’t have the parts.

·
Registered
4,538 Posts
OP is Canadian , I have a 2015 , the 2014 and 2015 are supposed to get the EGR recall done first ,
before dealers move to newer trucks , my dealer told me over 6 weeks ago that they would call
me when the parts came in to do the EGR recall , no news from them since .
Welcome to the site 18ecodiesel-IN-bc- , while waiting for dealer to do the work on your truck ,
just monitor the level of coolant in degas bottle , if the EGR fails , the level will drop , as long as your
coolant stays at the proper level you then know that no cracks have developed in your EGR cooler.
easy enough to monitor , that pink / Purple bottle is right there at eye level when you open the hood .
If it does go down , make sure you keep it at least at the level of the seem in the plastic reservoir ,
getting the proper " OAT coolant " to fill the bottle ,( called Degas bottle ) .
if it starts to go lower than the seem , you will start to have the level go down in engine and radiator ,
risking major failures like water pump or head gasket , important to make sure level is high enough.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I have an 18 and haven't had it done yet. I'm in no hurry and have just been keeping an eye on the coolant level. If it drops, then I'll call, but otherwise, I'll wait for them to call me. I'd rather they do a bunch before mine and get good at it. Plus, the way stuff goes, they'll probably find an issue with the new one and change it again..... Great info from @Kazimodo !

·
Registered
247 Posts
I just had VB1 on my 2017 completed in BC... I have been back and forth with a parts guy at the local dealership almost weekly since about April and it was roughly around the 13th of July when he was finally able to order the updated EGR for me... Had no coolant loss or any issues, just wanted it done.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Got my EGR recall done yesterday on my 2018. Have the EPA GDE tune. Put back to stock before I went in. Put back to GDE as soon as I got truck back. So far so good. No issues.

Dealer was really awesome about it. Service writer said they needed the truck all day and he put me in a 2020 Ram 1500 Laramie loaner truck.
I dropped it off at 7:30am and he called back at 5pm that afternoon and said it was ready.

Work order states the following parts were used:
CSNDVB12AA - EGR Bushing
CSNDVB11AB - EGR Cooler
68163848AB - Coolant

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Look for user “RamCares” on here, they may be able help. I have an 18 also, just bought with 10k miles and now have engine light related to the egr cooler according to the dealer, but they say they don’t have the parts.
same as my dealer said, the parts out of order so far. gotta call back after 2 weeks. hows your mpg tho?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
OP is Canadian , I have a 2015 , the 2014 and 2015 are supposed to get the EGR recall done first ,
before dealers move to newer trucks , my dealer told me over 6 weeks ago that they would call
Welcome to the site 18ecodiesel-IN-bc- , while waiting for dealer to do the work on your truck ,
just monitor the level of coolant in degas bottle , if the EGR fails , the level will drop , as long as your
coolant stays at the proper level you then know that no cracks have developed in your EGR cooler.
easy enough to monitor , that pink / Purple bottle is right there at eye level when you open the hood .
If it does go down , make sure you keep it at least at the level of the seem in the plastic reservoir ,
getting the proper " OAT coolant " to fill the bottle ,( called Degas bottle ) .
if it starts to go lower than the seem , you will start to have the level go down in engine and radiator ,
risking major failures like water pump or head gasket , important to make sure level is high enough. View attachment 87061 View attachment 87062 View attachment 87063
thank you so much for your nice and clear pitures, kazimodo. ill keep my eyes on that.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
risking major failures like water pump or head gasket , important to make sure level is high enough. View attachment 87061 View attachment 87062 View attachment 87063
yep, dealer said the eariler year do the parts replacement first.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have an 18 and haven't had it done yet. I'm in no hurry and have just been keeping an eye on the coolant level. If it drops, then I'll call, but otherwise, I'll wait for them to call me. I'd rather they do a bunch before mine and get good at it. Plus, the way stuff goes, they'll probably find an issue with the new one and change it again..... Great info from @Kazimodo !
totally agree. but you can try to call ur dealer since fca send us a letter mentioned there maybe some potential risks.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I just had VB1 on my 2017 completed in BC... I have been back and forth with a parts guy at the local dealership almost weekly since about April and it was roughly around the 13th of July when he was finally able to order the updated EGR for me... Had no coolant loss or any issues, just wanted it done.
yep, i guess its better to replace it. r u in lower mainland coz my dealer told me i can try to call other dealer to see if they have parts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Got my EGR recall done yesterday on my 2018. Have the EPA GDE tune. Put back to stock before I went in. Put back to GDE as soon as I got truck back. So far so good. No issues.

Dealer was really awesome about it. Service writer said they needed the truck all day and he put me in a 2020 Ram 1500 Laramie loaner truck.
I dropped it off at 7:30am and he called back at 5pm that afternoon and said it was ready.

Work order states the following parts were used:
CSNDVB12AA - EGR Bushing
CSNDVB11AB - EGR Cooler
68163848AB - Coolant
cool you got an awesome dealer. my dealer does not offer courtsey

·
Registered
2018 Ram 1500 Ecodeisel Laramie 4x4
3 Posts
got my recall work done, dealer also checked intake manifold for damage and reflashed pcm. Truck runs great so far...

·
Registered
158 Posts
Called my dealer a week ago to schedule my '18 VB1 fix. I have an appointment this Thursday to get it done.

I want to see if it comes with any kind of software update that improves driveability. Otherwise I'll be getting the GDE EPA tune.

**Update 7 Aug 2020:
Got my truck back today, parts replaced were
CSNDVB11AB COOLER
CSNDVB12AA BUSHING

The dealer did keep it overnight but they didn't tell me why. Otherwise no problems so far. Doesn't look like they updated any software.
Overall a one week turnaround from initial phone call to service department to completion.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts