RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
524 Posts
Chances of the cooler leaking after the tune are rare, however the cooler can start to leak at anytime.. I am at 92k miles and tuned for last 60k miles. Original cooler still.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Ive heard of one tuned truck that caught fire but there is things unrelated to the egr that can cause a fire as well, technically any vehicle can catch on fire. Overall a tuned truck has a lot lower odds of an engine fire since the egr bypass circuit should be disabled.

·
Registered
12,990 Posts
Long time ago there was one that burned while parked in the driveway. Since it was cold doubt the problem was EGR related. Seem to remember they never figured it out or it was an electrical issue. Really not sure.

It would take a search back to maybe 2015 or so to find that, if you could figure out how to title the search. Could be wrong. In fact, often wrong. Just remembering

Now I also remember one that had trouble maybe only a year or so ago. Remember something said about GDE but again, not sure. It is hard to lock open an EGR when it is shut off and closed. That's what GDE does.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Mine burned down to the ground and was GDE tuned, however I had a front timing cover oil leak fixed, very shortly before it spontaneously combusted and if the job is as involved as the procedure I was able to find then, it very easily could have been related to work performed by the servicing dealer, good luck proving this though. I do however think GDE offers an amazing product (or did) and my failure wasn’t related the anything other than work performed or just dumb luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
96k miles, GDE tunes since new, original ECR. I have removed the EGR diffuser tube so that likely reduces/removes the fire risk.

·
Registered
853 Posts
I realize the claim for a fire is going to go through your insurance compnay, but why openly admit that you have a tune when you're trying to get money for your smoldering lump of coal?

·
Registered
712 Posts
I realize the claim for a fire is going to go through your insurance compnay, but why openly admit that you have a tune when you're trying to get money for your smoldering lump of coal?
I didn’t, only have on here and it’s long been done, so I’m missing the point.

·
Registered
853 Posts
I didn't mean to point the comment directrly at you. Just saying that if there is a problem with the truck and the owner is trying to get FCA or their insurance to cover it, why come on here and talk about what was done to modifiy the truck. Even if that modification did not lead to the fire, it may be enough reason for FCA or insurance to deny the claim.

·
Registered
712 Posts
I didn't mean to point the comment directrly at you. Just saying that if there is a problem with the truck and the owner is trying to get FCA or their insurance to cover it, why come on here and talk about what was done to modifiy the truck. Even if that modification did not lead to the fire, it may be enough reason for FCA or insurance to deny the claim.
Could be, but regardless I don’t think insurance can get out of it, but if they can try I’m sure they will

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
Just saying that if there is a problem with the truck and the owner is trying to get FCA or their insurance to cover it, why come on here and talk about what was done to modifiy the truck.
It's paranoid to think anyone, insurance or FCA, can connect a claim to an anonymous user on an internet forum. Sure, it can be done, but at what length? Not gonna happen.

·
Registered
649 Posts
It's paranoid to think anyone, insurance or FCA, can connect a claim to an anonymous user on an internet forum. Sure, it can be done, but at what length? Not gonna happen.
Some forum users should take their VIN out of their forum signature....lol

·
Registered
485 Posts
Just my $0.02 - Be careful admitting anything online; tunes, deletes, etc. manufactures, insurance companies, etc they can all access these sites.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts