RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our 2015 Ram 1500 Crew Cab has the eco-diesel engine, towing package and factory air bag suspension. We bought the truck new in 2015 and it now has 35,000 miles on it. It is completely factory stock. All the dealer recalls have been completed. We just bought a 28' travel trailer that is right at the upper limits of the trucks rated towing capacity. The truck seems to tow this load just fine, but we plan on doing a couple of long distance trips this summer and was wondering if anyone has any suggestions for improved reliability or performance while towing.

·
Registered
5,134 Posts
Stage 1 ECM tune and trans tune from Ecodiesel Owner's Canada. The turbo brake coupled with the trans tune will really help slow the camper and save the mechanical brakes. You'll get more performance and a cleaner engine as well.

·
Vendor
1,337 Posts
We should suggest the Green Diesel Engineering tune as a legal alternative and one that will return better fuel economy than the illegal option mentioned above.

You could also add in a lower temp thermostat to reduce running temps when towing.

·
Registered
52 Posts
JetDoc,
I just added the GDE tune to our 2016 which sounds similar to yours. Will be towing tomorrow for the first time since adding the tune. Engine braking has been inadequate in the past, and our camper is only 4500 lbs. I am looking forward to the additional braking.
Make sure your oil is fresh and the correct weight. Check the manufacture date of your tires, if they are the originals, they are 6 years old and should be replaced. Finally, clean the EGR tube and related sensor that gets covered with soot. It only takes about 20 minutes. If you haven't done it, try to find a YouTube video. Ours threw a code 2000 miles from home, but luckily while still under warranty, so other than wasting a day at a dealer in Montana, it didn't cost anything. Finally, use tow/haul mode. It's not worth trying to squeeze a few extra miles per gallon at lower RPMs.

·
Registered
974 Posts
We just bought a 28' travel trailer that is right at the upper limits of the trucks rated towing capacity. The truck seems to tow this load just fine, but we plan on doing a couple of long distance trips this summer and was wondering if anyone has any suggestions for improved reliability or performance while towing.
Buy a good weight distributing hitch and anti-sway kit. When you buy the WD hitch, don't buy "just enough" capacity. I did that due to the trailer dealer recommendation and it wasn't enough to stop the porpoising on wavy roads. I went from the 6000lb (my trailer is under 5000, all aluminum frame, 24') to the 12,000lb and it pulls like the trailer is not there.

·
Super Moderator
2015 Outdoorsman EcoD CC w/6.4' 4X4
4,960 Posts
Buy a good weight distributing hitch and anti-sway kit. When you buy the WD hitch, don't buy "just enough" capacity. I did that due to the trailer dealer recommendation and it wasn't enough to stop the porpoising on wavy roads. I went from the 6000lb (my trailer is under 5000, all aluminum frame, 24') to the 12,000lb and it pulls like the trailer is not there.
If your trailer is under 5K lbs, Ram states a WDH is not needed and weight wise your not going to change much with one.
Using an over-rated WDH can make it difficult to adjust and/or cause problems with handling. If the hitch doesn't flex enough the rear end can lift.
A bouncy trailer in your situation might be remedied by movie weight around in the trailer or using air bags to firm up the suspension.

·
Registered
974 Posts
If your trailer is under 5K lbs, Ram states a WDH is not needed and weight wise your not going to change much with one.
Using an over-rated WDH can make it difficult to adjust and/or cause problems with handling. If the hitch doesn't flex enough the rear end can lift.
A bouncy trailer in your situation might be remedied by movie weight around in the trailer or using air bags to firm up the suspension.
Ram can state what they like .... I've been pulling trailers for decades for personal and business uses, and I have found a good WD hitch to be an asset. I always balance for tongue weight and box loading, and yes, I have TG air bags under my EcodD almost from day one. Just because the hitch is over-capacity doesn't mean it has to be pulled to capacity during setup. Like other things (horsepower comes to mind) I'd rather have it and not need to use it, .... than need it and not have it. I like the ride that comes with a good WD hitch, even on smaller trailers.

·
Registered
411 Posts
We should suggest the Green Diesel Engineering tune as a legal alternative and one that will return better fuel economy than the illegal option mentioned above.

You could also add in a lower temp thermostat to reduce running temps when towing.

Curious as to why the sales page states that a GDE tune is required to use the thermostat? First time I've heard of having to get a tune to change an automotive thermostat.

·
Super Moderator
4,960 Posts
Ram can state what they like .... I've been pulling trailers for decades for personal and business uses, and I have found a good WD hitch to be an asset. I always balance for tongue weight and box loading, and yes, I have TG air bags under my EcodD almost from day one. Just because the hitch is over-capacity doesn't mean it has to be pulled to capacity during setup. Like other things (horsepower comes to mind) I'd rather have it and not need to use it, .... than need it and not have it. I like the ride that comes with a good WD hitch, even on smaller trailers.
Since you didn't pick up that my previous reply was the polite way of letting the OP that it's potentially bad advice.
Now I'll spell it out in black and white, oversizing a WDH can cause adjustment and handling problems that a less experienced driver might not recognize. I try to discourage what can be blatantly bad advice being offered especially if the negatives are noted.
As for your less than 5K trailer problem with the lighter rated bars, by resolving it with way oversized bars your masking the root cause of the problem.

·
Vendor
1,337 Posts
Curious as to why the sales page states that a GDE tune is required to use the thermostat? First time I've heard of having to get a tune to change an automotive thermostat.
The stock tune and any competitor tune will flag a t-stat rationality code with the lower temp thermostat. The GDE tune addresses this issue.

·
Super Moderator
4,960 Posts
It's not just for the EcoDiesel either, gassers can have codes for the cooling system not achieving a proper temperature range.
I had this code pertaining to this years ago in a Saturn that the thermostat was going bad, it didn't get the vehicle up to the allotted temperature range quickly enough.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Since you didn't pick up that my previous reply was the polite way of letting the OP that it's potentially bad advice.
Now I'll spell it out in black and white, oversizing a WDH can cause adjustment and handling problems that a less experienced driver might not recognize. I try to discourage what can be blatantly bad advice being offered especially if the negatives are noted.
As for your less than 5K trailer problem with the lighter rated bars, by resolving it with way oversized bars your masking the root cause of the problem.
I happen to like a slightly stiffer ride, more uniform in it's travel over road bumps and dips so using heavier bars and tensioning them less, so they work at the bottom of their spring range the majority of the time and have a reserve of higher spring rate in case the road gets other than flat without warning (welcome to Northern Ontario Roads) is something that I do from experience with those WD hitches. Anyone who tows should know how and why the WD system works the way it does, what the relationship between trailer and truck loading is and should be able to take advantage of that knowledge to produce a ride that is both comfortable and safe. I have seen plenty of "recommended" systems, hooked up by people who didn't bother to learn how they work and they ended up with the supposedly correct system, incorrectly installed and incorrectly adjusted and completely unsafe and even worse .... unpredictable because they were uneducated and don't know what to expect. (My latest hitch was installed and adjusted and demonstrated to me by the dealer who sold me my trailer - it was downright dangerous, but apparently "correct".)

If my posts make you feel uncomfortable, please remove them.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts