RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks. Great community you have here. I bought a cherry 2016 Laramie with 30k miles a few months back. I absolutely love the truck and would like to keep it until it dies. I have the AEM scheduled for Wednesday and am considering canceling the appointment. Being my mileage is so low, 34k, I’m thinking I should wait as long as possible to perform the AEM. Is my logic sound? Negatives?

Additionally, am I understanding correctly that the AEM can be undone with a GDE tune of engine and trans? As in no possible negative effects from AEM? Will that be an issue with emissions testing for inspection sticker? Or void the warranty?

I know the answers can be found in this forum but I’m on Information overload reading the posts. It would be a great benefit to hear what steps some the eco-deisel educated people would take in my shoes.

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
My recommendation, order the GDE hot tune and trans tune, have them waiting at home for install as soon as possible after the AEM is completed. Also send in the paperwork required for the settlement money.

Any tune can void your warranty, but the GDE tunes are not being detected. Either the dealers aren't looking, or they're not readily visible, or both. Mine haven't been detected in the 85k I've been tuned.

The tunes will transform your truck from what you currently know. Makes it so much more drive-able.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey, thanks for taking the time Bounty. It’s greatly appreciated. After your words and a bit more research, that’s exactly what I’m going to do.

·
Registered
790 Posts
"I’m thinking I should wait as long as possible to perform the AEM. Is my logic sound? Negatives?"

Your logic is sound. My Service Manager suggests waiting as long as possible. Primarily because there are strong rumors that FCA will be changing the AEM update. The only negative is you don't get your check until you do the AEM upgrade, etc.

On the other hand if you are going to tune right after the AEM update go ahead and get it done. The sooner the AEM the sooner you collect, if you are eligible.

Unless you've already decided on the GDE tune you should look at the SFT tunes as well.
Here is a comparison of the two:

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
3,078 Posts
I second that get both tunes in hand then go get the AEM. To me the sooner the better because it’s better to get the EGR turned off sooner as well as pilot & post injection and better regen management. If you tow you might additionally consider the turbo brake, thermostat, lol Timbergrove axle to frame bags Andersen WDH hahaha we’ll fix you up. ;).

Especially tuned we love our Ecodiesels too. Welcome to the forum. These things need a lil help & understanding to become a great truck and ownership experience. If not the government mandated emissions system can sink them. I too hope to get a lot of miles out of mine. Invite a fellow ED enthusiast.

·
Registered
4 Posts
"I’m thinking I should wait as long as possible to perform the AEM. Is my logic sound? Negatives?"

Your logic is sound. My Service Manager suggests waiting as long as possible. Primarily because there are strong rumors that FCA will be changing the AEM update. The only negative is you don't get your check until you do the AEM upgrade, etc.

On the other hand if you are going to tune right after the AEM update go ahead and get it done. The sooner the AEM the sooner you collect, if you are eligible.

Unless you've already decided on the GDE tune you should look at the SFT tunes as well.
Here is a comparison of the two:

My thoughts exactly, and this is what not 1 but 2 different service advisors told me!

·
Registered
244 Posts
I had the recall done on Monday. Dropped it off before work and picked it up on my way home. I did order GDE engine and transmission tunes last week. They have not arrived yet. However, after picking it up and driving it home I noticed the lag that everyone is talking about, but it only happened ONCE. I can honestly say that right now my truck is running/driving better than it ever has. I only have a few miles on it but watching the instant MPG, it seems to have gone up 1 or 2 mpg on my normal route to work. I'm really happy with the tune (well, at least I'm not disappointed with it). I'll be super happy if GDE out performs what I have now. My normal instant MPG on the way to work is 21. That's flat ground, CC on at 73 for about 10 miles on the freeway. Today it was bouncing around 22-23 mpg. Sure hope it will go up some more as this truck as always been well under the normal MPG.

In short, if your truck was anything like mine, do it right away.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That comparison is solid gold @John Jensen. In fact I've come across many of your posts that have been solid gold. If we only had more in the world like you.

I ordered the GDE and Trans tune what must have been days before the EPA announcement and GDE went quiet. Being a planner I decided to pony up the extra $500 to keep my stock ECM (And kicked myself a few times for doing it until I read the current state of affairs). I scheduled the AEM after they came in as @Bounty Hunter suggested.

When I got the truck back from the dealer I felt the hesitation on my first acceleration taking a right on red. It lasted about 4 real (not exaggerated) seconds as the truck was cold. That was a surprise. However in the following week that I drove on the AEM tune it wasn't all that bad, the truck just felt all around gutless. Well... 7 days after the AEM on Saturday morning I loaded up the family and drove to the end of the driveway cold. Taking a left out of our blind driveway I hit the gas 1... there's a car coming around the corner this might be tight ...2 ... we're to far out now .... 3 ... go truck! for god's sake go!....4... that car isn't slowing and I'm still slow rolling with the pedal to the floor ...4 1/2.. my tires start spinning as my Ram finally gets across the lane. Wife looks at me, me looks at the wife. "That was the truck recall baby, not me." GDE is going in when we get home.

Something happened to me during that incident. I became furious with RAM, EPA, and struggled with a bit of victimization. As a consumer I felt my family was put at risk and felt a bit powerless over it all. If I wasn't handy, or didn't find out about the tuning at this site it could have cost our family in the long run. Then I think about all the other families out there. This is a real situation! Especially so in areas like Massachusetts, NH, Conn where 50% of drivers are going 10 over the limit.

Anyway I wanted to thank you all for your passion and guidance, thank the tuners for what they do, and the community in general. All is well again for me and mine but I worry about others.

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
put GDE ECM in , you'll love your truck again , don't see why you endured that crap FCA tuning for
a whole week and more ....letting your truck choke on its own exhaust soot ,
now wait a few days , when you add the transmission tune you will see another difference ,
of course you can do both and have an even bigger smile , but just once .
you got the tunes just in the perfect time , Lucky ...(y)
do you have all the instructions to install your goodies ??

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
put GDE ECM in , you'll love your truck again , don't see why you endured that crap FCA tuning for
a whole week and more ....letting your truck choke on its own exhaust soot ,
now wait a few days , when you add the transmission tune you will see another difference ,
of course you can do both and have an even bigger smile , but just once .
you got the tunes just in the perfect time , Lucky ...(y)
do you have all the instructions to install your goodies ??
I did get lucky. Didn't have to order from your neck of the woods. Tunes are in, and life is good again.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts