RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

Any Success Stories

7K views 44 replies 29 participants last post by  Johnny M Morris 
#1 ·
Hey friends. Upcoming prospective buyer of a 2022 eco. I’ve read lots of discussions here and on other sites focusing on this engine, and an overwhelming amount are negative.

I’m just wondering if all of the people that don’t have issues just generally don’t post? Anyone care to share some success stories with their engines?

Success to me means over 100k miles with minimal issues. Assuming maintenance is kept up.

#2 ·
The problem with coming to any forum is you will undoubtedly find more negative than positive. Humans as a rule are very good at complaining, and very difficult to please. When was the last time you took a survey and saw the question "tell us what you liked about ..." you probably couldn't think of many things you liked, but you could list several you didn't like. Forums are the same way, most people come here to complain and/or find answers to problems they have with their truck.

With that said, there are several on here who have had great success with their EcoD's. @VernDiesel put over 300k on 2 different engines and is still going strong. others have made 100k miles without issue. Some of us (myself included) had issues but despite them we are still very happy with our trucks and put many miles on them (112k and counting for me).

It's also important to note that the 3rd gen engine in the 2020 and up model year trucks has a much better track record than the 2nd gen (2014-2018). Since you're looking at a 22 you likely won't have the issues that most complain about. It should be smooth sailing.

#4 ·
Welcome to the forum. I had pretty good luck with mine I keep it all stock didn’t get a tune on it and it served me well. I didn’t have one thing brake on it going to 100000 miles. I wish I had sold mine at 200000 miles very little had happened to it at that point. Got around 22mpg all the time I owed it just traded it a couple months ago for a gas truck. Where I live gas is a lot cheaper then diesel at this point in time.

#6 ·
Also keep in mind that most EcoD owners are NOT on this (or any) forum. They just drive their trucks and deal with issues as they come.

The point is, the sample size is very small. Add to that the fact that the 3rd gen is fairly new and you realize most of the troubles and issues folks deal with are likely on the older engines.

That's the encouragement I give myself :)

#7 · (Edited)
Has there been issues yes and from someone who's been on this board since the early days I've seen ALOT of one and dones who appeared for many different reasons. I don't blame anyone for being upset about an issue we're all human some just have a tendency to take things in an extreme direction. No one ever goes to a site to brag about how great their truck is.

I had my first gen from 2014 - 2022. Zero issues with the truck, but FCA as an organization that is customer centered is where i'll say is "Top End Failure" but in my opinion this exists with the big 3 as well. When beancounters win we all lose.

#24 ·
No one ever goes to a site to brag about how great their truck is.
I do. I brag all the time. We loved our 2015 EcoDiesel so much that we bought a second EcoDiesel (2020 model). Both trucks are workhorses, daily drivers, grocery getters, road trip warriors, and tow rigs. I'm here to brag and show off pics! :cool:

#8 ·
Welcome(y), and best of luck on you search for the truck;) I have a 16 and have been happy with it, acquired it from my B-I-L when he bought a 20, he gave me a very fair deal on his 16, and he liked it well enough he moved into a new 20 at the time, and like MAS noted, there are a ton of people (like my B-I-L ) that don't do putering or forums 🤣 🤣 but he is happy with his 20 and the only issue he has had was something that was "rattling" on his exhaust which was promptly addressed....

I also make it a point to talk with every Eco driver I encounter, and I have not met one yet that did not like their truck, most of the 14-19 owners have expressed the same feelings in regard to the recalls, which is understandable

My truck has been great, just recently eclipsed 100k (40k since I've owned it) trouble free miles....

you are in a great place to get all your concerns addressed

#28 ·
Reactions: Dawgnation
#9 ·
So, the group here has made some very valid points and I wont rehash any of them. What I will say, is knowing what is the common thread, I still bought one. I bought a 2015 with 105k on the odometer. i ran the carfax and have a full vehicle history on it. Same engine as the day it was built with minimal issues reported on it. The timing of the updates led me to believe it was only dealer maintained.

I am pretty involved with another Ram forum that focuses more on the gas engines. Have been with them since 2013 when I bought my first ram. Lots of chatter on their about issues with the 5.7..... My experience is with two of those motors and they were both nearly bullet proof for me.

My point, the big 3 do not push out a piece of junk for decades (opinions aside). If it was in my budget, i would have bought a 20+ and not gave it a second thought. I got a deal I didnt want to pass up for a 15. No regrets, and full disclosure, I still havent driven it. That said, my shop back home is driving it and loving it.

Go with your gut and enjoy your decision.

#11 ·
I can't offer a very long-term perspective, but we had a 2015 EcoDiesel Grand Cherokee that we bought in 2018 with 30K miles and drove it until trading it in 2021 for the Ram. Loved it, though we did get a GDE tune after FCA messed with it to appease the government. We've only got 10K miles on the Ram, but we couldn't be happier. Sure, fuel is more expensive, but it's so long between fill-ups, I kind of don't notice as much as if I had a small tank and didn't get good mileage.

#12 ·
I bought my 2021 in July. A local put 98,000 miles on his 2019. The local dealer changed his diff fluids and not tighten the rearend plug and destroyed his differential. He traded it in on a new 2022 Eco Diesel. He said he stayed on the highway pushing 80 + mph without issues.

#13 ·
Welcome to the forum - first post.

The engines before the 2020 models have had many minor and some major issues. They are the brunt of the negative posts and justifiably so. Yet, in spite of all the failures the majority of owners have been quite happy and successful with their engines. The engine seems to be the major issue as the rest of the trucks are pretty darn good. Of course, if the engine bricks then you have a big nothing.

Your interest in a new Ecodiesel puts you into a different engine parameter. In 2020 there was a major revision in how the Ecodiesel engine was both designed and built. Those changes have been for the good and that is what the engine is today. If the performance of an Ecodiesel fits your wants and needs you should be good.

#14 ·
I called it the "Forum Effect" when I first encountered the quite noticeable forum noise of problems. It was a Chevy forum, I was looking for answer for a minor issue with my 2011 Silverado 5.3L.

I was taken aback a bit, I felt like it was the worst truck made after reading a bit.

But it wasn't a bad truck, it towed our Rv all over, ran fine, and never left me stranded for 7 years and 80,000 miles. It was a good truck, but the mpg towing wasn't pretty, and why I moved into an Ecodiesel for 3 years and 45,000 trouble free years.

And like others have chimed, I suspect the majority of owners of the Ecodiesel are satisfied.

#15 ·
I have only heard of one person with over 100k miles on a Gen 3 engine. Generally these are still at low mileage. So, saying they are "largely problem free" is a bit misleading, particularly when we've already seen engine fires, oil leaks, no-start conditions, broken DPF hanger brackets, CELs of random kinds, DEF tank pump issues, etc. I'm on all the forums plus the owners' groups on social media. I still feel like the members of this group are sealed up in a box. How can you have not seen the issues that get reported with the Gen 3 engine weekly?

Let's wait until a larger sample of Gen 3 engines are beyond 100k and then we'll know if this engine really is reliable or not. There certainly are people who love theirs. Other than the oil leaks and random CEL, I loved the two I had also. Decent fuel economy and great towing power. Also sounded very nice on a cold winter start with the aftermarket intake pipe. Very enjoyable truck, but certainly not perfect and certainly not economical overall.

Reactions: StuartV
#16 ·
Probably all problems the 14-15’s have as well but they are insignificant compared to a $15,000 engine that is backordered for who knows how long. To me the only concern to give me pause with the ecodiesel is the bottom end issues. The new gen appears to have remedied that issue this far. I have no reason to suspect they fixed the engine and trashed the rest of the truck. Some issues will always occur.

#19 ·
Hey friends. Upcoming prospective buyer of a 2022 eco. I’ve read lots of discussions here and on other sites focusing on this engine, and an overwhelming amount are negative. I’m just wondering if all of the people that don’t have issues just generally don’t post? Anyone care to share some success stories with their engines? Success to me means over 100k miles with minimal issues. Assuming maintenance is kept up.
I have 204000 on my 2015 with only on time oil changes, three sets of tires and brakes all around one time. Only did the tailgate recall.

#21 ·
Hey friends. Upcoming prospective buyer of a 2022 eco. I’ve read lots of discussions here and on other sites focusing on this engine, and an overwhelming amount are negative.

I’m just wondering if all of the people that don’t have issues just generally don’t post? Anyone care to share some success stories with their engines?

Success to me means over 100k miles with minimal issues. Assuming maintenance is kept up.
I have 204000 on my 2015 with only on time oil changes, one set of brakes and three sets of tires. Only did the tailgate recall.

#26 ·
They are a great truck, especially if you do your own servicing. Easy to work on for routine stuff. At 145,000 miles on my 2017, I 've only done oil changes, fuel filter and transmission servicing myself. On my second brake pad change and 3d set of tires look about half worn out. Plan on changing serpentine belt at 150k. Trouble free truck.

#32 ·
@biodiesel the only thing missing from your post is a dog, some country music and a mountain waterfall 😂😂😂

FCA approves of this advertisement 🤣🤣🤣.......

Y'all can't say we don't have some great folks on this forum.🤠

#33 ·
My 2015 eco has 124000 on it. Runs awesome,good maintenance and I have never towed anything. Hauled a few loads of wood ect. Drive daily 10 miles one way, highway. Always let it warm up and once a week take it out on the interstate at 75- 80 mph for twenty minutes out twenty minutes back.

#35 ·
#36 ·
I have a 2020 Eco, 4x4, 19,000 miles. It has been flawless, so far. Drives like a Cadillac. Just took a trip with about 32 hours of driving, round trip. Mileage and range is great. Up to 32-34 on long straight roads. (full disclosure 3:21 rear end). good torque on hills and I also pull a small camping trailer 5000lbs max, no problems. I used to have a 99 7.3 powerstroke that was a great engine and rig, so I was a little leery of the new technology. I like the fact I can use this for all around driving and don't need to pay for the 3/4 ton sitting around. Just thought I'd post without a problem!

#39 ·
#41 ·
Only thing I notice is when the engine is warming up it can have a slight delay from a dead start.
Could that be your glow plugs warming before ignition is activated?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.