RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
GDE is still saying summer 2021 they'll release theirs. Not sure on the Canadian companies but it sounded like they were closer.

Reactions: KNGSNK11 and Arvid

·
Premium Member
663 Posts
HPTuners supports 2020+ Ecodiesels. So, any diesel tuner that uses HPtuners is capable of tuning your truck. I'd check around some of the diesel performance shops and see if they tune with HPTuners. If they do, I guarantee they could do a custom dyno tune for you.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
If you were in Maine, my mechanic, TDP Automotive in Steuben tunes with HP Tuners and has a Mustang dyno. He was the first guy to dyno tune a supercharged 2005 Chrysler 300 SRT8 in the country, as far as I know. Well before anyone had a tuner for the early hemis, used a Ford SCT tuner. I'd wait for GDE, though.

Reactions: MR. TED

·
Vendor
1,394 Posts
^^^I second this. If someone tunes your truck on a dyno with HP Tuners in an afternoon, it will be garbage and better to leave it stock. Given FCA has about 15 calibration engineers that worked for 2+ years on the Gen3, I would be leery of someone telling you it can be tuned in a day. The HP Tuner platform only maps out about 300 of the 20,000 parameters that can be changed, this is a very weak tool for this platform.

·
Registered
469 Posts
^^^I second this. If someone tunes your truck on a dyno with HP Tuners in an afternoon, it will be garbage and better to leave it stock. Given FCA has about 15 calibration engineers that worked for 2+ years on the Gen3, I would be leery of someone telling you it can be tuned in a day. The HP Tuner platform only maps out about 300 of the 20,000 parameters that can be changed, this is a very weak tool for this platform.
After driving this truck for 9 months and over 9,000 miles, here is my conclusion:

1) Tuning this powertrain is a complete nightmare, and those 15 calibration engineers who worked tirelessly for 2+ years simply were given a deadline and did the best they could, hoping for a chance to fix all the remaining issues as time went on.

2) They're complete morons and need to find other employment.

I've never in my life driven a truck, gas or diesel, with drivability this poor.

Reactions: justind

·
Registered
469 Posts
WX, you whine and cry about this truck more than my daughter whined at a 5th grade slumber party. Just get rid of it if it's such a liability, geeesh.
Would you like to buy it? Send me payoff and she's all yours buddy.

Last I checked an internet forum was a place for everyone to share their feelings and thoughts and knowledge about the vehicles they're interested in. Did I mistake something? Is this really a cheerleading section? Are we supposed to only bow and profess our adoration and perpetual love for the Ram 1500? Are we supposed to overlook the obvious and ONLY hoist praise to Ram for making the perfect pickup truck? We're just free advertising for them? It's all roses and perfume? All the time? Thank you Ram! Thank you for making the world's perfect pickup! Forbid us from ever sharing a cross word about your creation! Damn, I had no idea.

·
Registered
65 Posts
It's always a great idea to own something that pisses you off and makes you miserable. Good point. I get rid of things I don't like, guess I'm the weird one. I've owned every pickup brand made (1/2t crew 4x4's) in my fleet at work over the years. My current Ram ED Laramie runs circles around them all. It's not perfect, but nothing is. Carry on though.....you're quite entertaining.

·
Registered
45 Posts
It's always a great idea to own something that pisses you off and makes you miserable. Good point. I get rid of things I don't like, guess I'm the weird one. I've owned every pickup brand made (1/2t crew 4x4's) in my fleet at work over the years. My current Ram ED Laramie runs circles around them all. It's not perfect, but nothing is. Carry on though.....you're quite entertaining.
Oh common, give the guy a break. He’s a weatherman. You know a job where you can be wrong more than 50% of the time and keep your job without having to apologize. ⛈🌨🌧❄💦😎🖖 Have a happy turkey day ya’ll.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Oh common, give the guy a break. He’s a weatherman. You know a job where you can be wrong more than 50% of the time and keep your job without having to apologize. ⛈🌨🌧❄💦😎🖖 Have a happy turkey day ya’ll.
That joke got old 37 years ago. Funny thing is, 99% of the people I've heard repeat it couldn't pass a semester of atmospheric science. :D

As far as his comment goes, yes I've been griping about the throttle on these trucks since February, because the throttle on these trucks has sucked since February (actually since September 2019 if you read major magazines). As long as they let this known issue go on with no fix, I'll keep talking about it. That's just how it is. It does not mean that I hate the TRUCK overall, or that I wish I had a GM product. I've been there before. I know how bad things can get. ;)

·
Banned
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Would you like to buy it? Send me payoff and she's all yours buddy.

Last I checked an internet forum was a place for everyone to share their feelings and thoughts and knowledge about the vehicles they're interested in. Did I mistake something? Is this really a cheerleading section? Are we supposed to only bow and profess our adoration and perpetual love for the Ram 1500? Are we supposed to overlook the obvious and ONLY hoist praise to Ram for making the perfect pickup truck? We're just free advertising for them? It's all roses and perfume? All the time? Thank you Ram! Thank you for making the world's perfect pickup! Forbid us from ever sharing a cross word about your creation! Damn, I had no idea.
what’s the payoff?

·
Registered
45 Posts
That joke got old 37 years ago. Funny thing is, 99% of the people I've heard repeat it couldn't pass a semester of atmospheric science. :D

As far as his comment goes, yes I've been griping about the throttle on these trucks since February, because the throttle on these trucks has sucked since February (actually since September 2019 if you read major magazines). As long as they let this known issue go on with no fix, I'll keep talking about it. That's just how it is. It does not mean that I hate the TRUCK overall, or that I wish I had a GM product. I've been there before. I know how bad things can get. ;)
WX just a friendly jibe across the e-waves. I worked at NWS as a graduate scientist for a summer maintaining the orbital parameters for the GOES weather satellites. Know the joke very well.
I appreciate learning about the positive as well as the negative aspects of the new trucks since I’m in the market for a new ‘21. Keep the posts coming. The throttle issue seems like a basic item the RAM engineers could fix.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I appreciate knowing pros and cons as well, but repeating the same old crap gets old quickly. We got the point the first 15 times he griped about it. Some folks just like being a victim I guess.

·
Registered
2020 Limited ED 3.92 33gal
179 Posts
[/QUOTE]

WX your complaining about the 2020- throttle, engine, tuning issues, is becoming and has been very redundant. You don't need to ruin everyones thread with your negative crap. The throttle issue is with you and your truck ONLY, (not these trucks). voice your opinions great! but (you should know the old saying about opinions too).

Head to Jeep and trade it in for a fully loaded Liberty and put some cash back in your pocket.

Either way I pity you and your trucks issues, 9000miles in 9 months is probably your problem, maybe if you used the truck more than a 1000 miles a month things would be different for you.

·
Registered
469 Posts
I have an appointment with the dealer, again, on Friday. It's been several months and I'm going to have them check one more time to see if there are any powertrain calibration updates that have been released since my truck was built 12 months ago. Hopefully there is something. I drove a 2021 Jeep pickup with this exact powertrain and it was amazing. Strong, consistent, predictable. Very little sluggishness or laziness. Was much better. Now, granted that's Jeep and not Ram, but I'm hoping that maybe the two brands have shared notes. Maybe the Ram guys have updated their factory tuning. It's at least worth asking about.

For those saying "it gets old"....no, let me tell you what gets old. What gets old is dipping into the pedal when you need to go and feeling like the truck just ran out of fuel. What's old is driving a truck with a $56k sticker that falls on its face when you try to turn left against oncoming traffic on a 4-lane highway. What gets old is having the pedal go dead and then 3 second later it slams your head in the seat and your wife thinks you are a terrible driver. That's what gets really old. If it was only me, it would be understandable. But it's not. It's all of these trucks. Magazines wrote about it. YouTube reviews comment on it. Sales of Pedal Commander devices for these trucks have increased as guys are talking about it all over the social media groups now trying to find a cure. It IS a problem, and as much as I know that guys on this forum like to deny that there are ever any problems with these trucks, the truth is it should have never gone to market like this. Ram should be ashamed.

·
Registered
461 Posts
I bet you took out one of those 72 month loans which means you will be upside down on that truck for almost the entire term of the loan.

You said the MSRP was $56,000 and you still owe $51,850 either that dealer saw you coming a mile away or you traded in something else that you owed a lot of money on and they flipped the balance onto the this loan. Either way it was a bad financial decision on your part. You are the perfect case study of someone buying more vehicle than they could afford and I am not talking about you being able to meet the monthly payment, you are way upside down in this truck and you will remain that way for a long time. You should have been looking at a model with less options that would have have lowered the price. Maybe a Tradesman would have been a better choice for you, sure it is a base truck and does not have the bells and whistles of the higher line models but you also don't get buried under so much debt either and you would be surprised at how nice a simple basic model can be.

Having said that maybe you had a vehicle that was a complete problem vehicle and spent all the time in the shop and did not qualify for a lemon law buy back so the only option left to get out from under the problem vehicle would be to trade it and take the lose and learn a hard life lesson.

I purchased a leftover 2019 Ram 1500 Classic Laramie EcoDiesel in August that had an MSRP of $50,265 and I drove it off the lot after tax, tag, title, paperwork, and extended warranty for just over $29,000 dollars on a 48 month loan.

As for your complaint be patient, it takes time for a competent company to make a reliable tune that will work and not create more problems than it solves. I purchased the Green Diesel Engineering EPA compliant Hot Tune/Trans Tune for my 2019 Classic EcoDiesel and it made a positive difference. The tune is coming for the GEN3 EcoDiesel and Green Diesel Engineering has earned a good reputation for quality products.

You said you test drove a Jeep pickup with the EcoDiesel and loved it but you are so far upside down right now that it is doubtful you could even get a loan after a trade in and if you did get a loan you would just be digging an even deeper hole than you are in now financially, my advice forget about the jeep, keep the Ram and when Green Diesel Engineering releases their EPA compliant tune get it and you will be happy with your Ram.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts