RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
I just looked at trade in value of your truck and it comes out to $41,529 if it is in excellent condition, $41,520 if it is in very good condition, $39789 if it is in good condition and $36,866 if it is in fair condition. Assuming it is in excellent condition take $51,850 - 41,529 = $10,321 that you would have to roll over into the new Jeep loan and those Jeeps are not cheap and in my area don't have much of a discount if any.

If your Ram is rated as fair condition then you would be looking at $51850 - $36,866 = $14,984 that you would have to roll over into the new jeep loan.

You already know the driving characteristics of your Ram and in just a few more months a solution is coming from a company with a solid reputation that will completely change the drivability of your Ram that it will seem like a new truck.

Forget about the Jeep, that is a losing proposition in the long run, in the end you will be far happier with the Ram once Green Diesel Engineering gets their tune all worked out and EPA compliant, that takes time and money for them.

·
Registered
469 Posts
So today the dealership did find a PCM update for my truck. They flashed it to the most recent tune. On the way home about 35 minutes to my house the truck seemed to shift differently and it seems to spool the turbo a tad faster when dipping into the pedal after coasting down. I'm going to give it some time and make sure it's not just behaving differently because the adaptive features are now reset. They told me that if this doesn't cure it to let them know and they'll look at it again.

BTW...did I say I wanted another Jeep? I drove a 2021 Jeep pickup for a YouTube review and that's what I compared my Ram to in terms of drivability. But the odds of me going back to a Jeep are shrinking. Not for financial reasons. Jeeps hold value WAY better and lease rates on them are amazing. Truthfully though, I've been looking at going the other direction to the Ram 3500 because I'm building a car hauler/toybox/camper out of a larger enclosed trailer right now and I will be wanting a more stable towing platform in the next year or two.

·
Registered
469 Posts
What a terrible life you have............poor thing.
Who, me? Why is my life terrible? I drive what I want, when I want, and never make a single payment on them. YouTube pays the monthly payment, tax, fuel, and registration. I spend a small portion of my free time shooting videos for fun and effectively drive what I want for free. My life is awesome. :) I've been able to enjoy the all new Wrangler as soon as it was released, the Gladiator as soon as it was released, the Gen 3 EcoD as soon as it was released, and I haven't paid for any of them.

Am I a rock star? No. Is my life terrible? No. Is this forum an enjoyable place to spend time? No. I'm a member of probably a dozen forums. This is one of the worst. Guys here are unhelpful, unhappy, and deny anyone who brings up true issues with these trucks. It's like trying to talk trucks with a bunch of high school freshmen. I guess I'll start spending my time over on the other Ram forums where guys are cool and share ideas and likes and hates and enjoy life rather than taking everything so seriously.

Reactions: Christian Dionne

·
Registered
13 Posts
Big time lurker since getting my ecodiesel. I signed up just to drop a quick hello to @WXman. I can appreciate your point of view. More importantly I can feel your frustration through 5thgen and here. It's obvious you aren't happy with your truck. You're pretty vocal across multiple forums related to it. I wish you all the best with your truck, and I truly hope you clear up all the issues you've seen.
I've loved every second with my 3rd gen ecodiesel. Came from a 2014 hemi Outdoorsman that I honestly loved. Spent a fortune modifying it and the only reason I sold it is because of the used car market these days. I put 60k miles on it and traded it in for more than I paid for it.

I just wanted to take a second to move this back in the direction of the OP. I've been eyeballing the Gde and the HD diesel supply and would sure love a release date ;) I'm salivating at the idea of my 3rd gen with better throttle response and power.

·
Premium Member
2,982 Posts
Wx... It sounds like you have a dirty/bad map sensor. I've read similar complaints on here before.

Try removing the sensor, clean and replace. Bet dollars to donuts it will improve.

Physically remove the funk. Then use alcohol to really clean it up. Make sure there is no oily soot left in it.

·
Premium Member
2,487 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
I bet you took out one of those 72 month loans which means you will be upside down on that truck for almost the entire term of the loan.

You said the MSRP was $56,000 and you still owe $51,850 either that dealer saw you coming a mile away or you traded in something else that you owed a lot of money on and they flipped the balance onto the this loan. Either way it was a bad financial decision on your part. You are the perfect case study of someone buying more vehicle than they could afford and I am not talking about you being able to meet the monthly payment, you are way upside down in this truck and you will remain that way for a long time. You should have been looking at a model with less options that would have have lowered the price. Maybe a Tradesman would have been a better choice for you, sure it is a base truck and does not have the bells and whistles of the higher line models but you also don't get buried under so much debt either and you would be surprised at how nice a simple basic model can be.

Having said that maybe you had a vehicle that was a complete problem vehicle and spent all the time in the shop and did not qualify for a lemon law buy back so the only option left to get out from under the problem vehicle would be to trade it and take the lose and learn a hard life lesson.

I purchased a leftover 2019 Ram 1500 Classic Laramie EcoDiesel in August that had an MSRP of $50,265 and I drove it off the lot after tax, tag, title, paperwork, and extended warranty for just over $29,000 dollars on a 48 month loan.

As for your complaint be patient, it takes time for a competent company to make a reliable tune that will work and not create more problems than it solves. I purchased the Green Diesel Engineering EPA compliant Hot Tune/Trans Tune for my 2019 Classic EcoDiesel and it made a positive difference. The tune is coming for the GEN3 EcoDiesel and Green Diesel Engineering has earned a good reputation for quality products.

You said you test drove a Jeep pickup with the EcoDiesel and loved it but you are so far upside down right now that it is doubtful you could even get a loan after a trade in and if you did get a loan you would just be digging an even deeper hole than you are in now financially, my advice forget about the jeep, keep the Ram and when Green Diesel Engineering releases their EPA compliant tune get it and you will be happy with your Ram.
You got lucky on that deal, you won’t ever get that here in Canada…especially on a used Ram, dealers won’t drop their price, if you don’t buy, the next guy will

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have an appointment with the dealer, again, on Friday. It's been several months and I'm going to have them check one more time to see if there are any powertrain calibration updates that have been released since my truck was built 12 months ago. Hopefully there is something. I drove a 2021 Jeep pickup with this exact powertrain and it was amazing. Strong, consistent, predictable. Very little sluggishness or laziness. Was much better. Now, granted that's Jeep and not Ram, but I'm hoping that maybe the two brands have shared notes. Maybe the Ram guys have updated their factory tuning. It's at least worth asking about.

For those saying "it gets old"....no, let me tell you what gets old. What gets old is dipping into the pedal when you need to go and feeling like the truck just ran out of fuel. What's old is driving a truck with a $56k sticker that falls on its face when you try to turn left against oncoming traffic on a 4-lane highway. What gets old is having the pedal go dead and then 3 second later it slams your head in the seat and your wife thinks you are a terrible driver. That's what gets really old. If it was only me, it would be understandable. But it's not. It's all of these trucks. Magazines wrote about it. YouTube reviews comment on it. Sales of Pedal Commander devices for these trucks have increased as guys are talking about it all over the social media groups now trying to find a cure. It IS a problem, and as much as I know that guys on this forum like to deny that there are ever any problems with these trucks, the truth is it should have never gone to market like this. Ram should be ashamed.
Buy a pedal commander $275.00 and problem solved

·
Super Moderator
3,820 Posts
Biodiesel, Did you get to spend some time on the Rockauto site? For some stuff it's the bomb dickety. Never noticed your PPE rear differential cover before. Just went through rebuilding my rear end again. :mad: Lol Apparently I am a slow learner. Periodic fluid changes for the 9.25 just are not enough if you are using it as hard as I am. I didn't know PPE had a rear dif cover. I did the B&M unit. It has torqued support for the bearing caps and a thick rim supporting surface of A356.0 T6 aluminum designed to better support the housing. Both should help things from distorting under heavy load. It also holds .5 quart more fluid and dissipates the heat better. Plus this time I used Amsoil 100 percent synthetic.

Reelyaddicted, Welcome to the forum. Consider a signature line like Biodiesels as it can be helpful to you and other posters. Fast forward has GDE tune still nitpicking throttle. Have you used the pedal commander on a 2020+ ED? I asked a buddy once 20+ year mechanic whats it going to take to fix this guys truck. (no one here) He never batted an eye and said; a hysterectomy. :ROFLMAO:

·
Premium Member
2,487 Posts
Biodiesel, Did you get to spend some time on the Rockauto site?
@shaggn85 led me astray, lol. I went to Rock Auto and didn't find the MAP sensor for the EcoDiesel. He claimed they had it for $23 bones. I sure which they had them.

Never noticed your PPE rear differential cover before. I didn't know PPE had a rear dif cover. I did the B&M unit. Plus this time I used Amsoil 100 percent synthetic.
Yeah, I installed the PPE cover a little over a year ago. The stock pan capacity is 4.4 pints (with LSD), which is a little over 2 quarts. I would guess that I put close to 3.5 quarts in the PPE pan. I used the Amsoil bags instead of bottles, so it's hard to know for sure. I would guess that the PPE holds somewhere between 1 quart to 1.5 quart over stock.

·
Premium Member
2,487 Posts
Reactions: shaggn85
21 - 34 of 34 Posts