RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone seen any verification that diesel 1500s are actually rolling out of the Warren facility in Michigan? (Where all extended cabs are to be assembled.)

I can't find anything in the media or on forums other than an indication that they were supposed to be building them starting last week. At 1000 trucks a day I'm hoping that one of those will make it my way soon.

Anyone work there? Have a spy plane? Or a phone number to call and ask?

·
Registered
366 Posts
My dealer told me that production in Detroit officially began on January 21st, however I didn't need to know the specific factories so I didn't ask. IF they only have the one active truck plant, then that's your answer.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Production beginning means they are preparing the line for production. My brother in law works at warren plant. No ED engines have been bolted in as of yesterday. They are not going to put out 1000 trucks a day any time soon. He says there are maybe 150 Ed engines on site. They should be ready to go any day now. The orders for the diesel fell way short of expectations so far so lot orders will probably be ahead of schedule. He also said they do have an off site storage facility with Diesel engines stocked. I can't remember the number but the first ### off the line will be used for quality control and spec testing. I guess that is how they make sure the employees and equipment are up to snuff.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I'm not surprised orders are less than expected. Delay, delay,delay and a lot of dealers don't know anything about it. Two dealers I talked to around here know nothing about the ED.

·
Registered
81 Posts
We'll, duh. You can't even order the truck and "orders are short of expectations??".

I think the automotive press got hoodwinked on this truck. They sent out a few super tuned, non spec trucks for chosen reviewers.

Ya gotta give the marketing department kudos for a job well done. They probably come from the software industry.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
We'll, duh. You can't even order the truck and "orders are short of expectations??".

I think the automotive press got hoodwinked on this truck. They sent out a few super tuned, non spec trucks for chosen reviewers.

Ya gotta give the marketing department kudos for a job well done. They probably come from the software industry.
Give government bureaucracy and a gridlocked congress some credit for the delays. And how do you know, "They sent out a few super tuned, non spec trucks for chosen reviewers." :confused:

P

·
0 Posts
I'm leaning to that thought too, I've heard of multiple EPA delays in other industries due to their attitude about being almost totally shut down and having some budget money moved to other departments. If it were purely production delays or low orders they would trumpeting the mileage rating to drum up interest but there hasn't been a hint even from Ram. The EPA updated their ratings book Jan 22 but only with changed ratings no additions (not verified, just reported by two 'green' car sites). The EcoDiesel model is listed page 30 with NAs across the board.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I talked to my dealer here in Canada last Thursday. He has heard that the first ones produced will go to dealers (here in Canada), on a limited basis so everyone can see / test drive one and the customer ordered vehicles like mine come next. He anticipates a March delivery. We will see.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Real data- Thanks

Production beginning means they are preparing the line for production. My brother in law works at warren plant. No ED engines have been bolted in as of yesterday. They are not going to put out 1000 trucks a day any time soon. He says there are maybe 150 Ed engines on site. They should be ready to go any day now. The orders for the diesel fell way short of expectations so far so lot orders will probably be ahead of schedule. He also said they do have an off site storage facility with Diesel engines stocked. I can't remember the number but the first ### off the line will be used for quality control and spec testing. I guess that is how they make sure the employees and equipment are up to snuff.
Fireboy.

Thanks so much for the inside scoop from your brother in law. This is the first real info about trucks (not) rolling off the assembly line that i've heard of. Please let us know any other info he shares with you. I'll pay for info in beers if you are ever in Western Montana.

I hope the slow orders are not a sign that this engine isn't going to sell.

My order is going in the day dealers will actually take it!

Dag Otto

·
Registered
366 Posts
Thanks man, very informative, love the insider scoop!

·
Registered
15 Posts
It's no wonder orders are less than expected; who is going to order a truck with no timeline of when you will get it?

What was it? Five years ago that every manufacture was coming out with 1/2 ton diesels? I remember ford saying they were developing a "baby power stroke" v6, Toyota was suppose to be bringing one out a v6 too, and GM was developing a 4.#L v8.

We've been down this diesel 1/2 ton road before, and people will believe it when they see it.

Build it and they will come.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
How quickly we forget the global recession when the auto industry was fortunate to survive. We are lucky to have any good choices much less a great diesel. Patience.

·
Registered
274 Posts
It's doesn't help that with the dozens of dealers I've called/visited in the last month or so between Houston and dallas and none knew about it. It was only announced a year ago. And been plastered on the ram website.

Some say they don't make a diesel 1500, ram doesn't plan on making one, they'll find out more information, they may have heard something about it before, hell Some multi brand dealers didn't even know they had the diesel jeep even when they're sitting on their lot. I've for standing offers on Chevy and ford 1/2 & 3/4 ton trucks at well below invoice because I or one of my companies bring them that much business. The diesel and the ram box are the only reason I want a ram. I can get a diesel anywhere with any truck company.

Asking people to be patient 6 months after the supposed launch of the vehicle with no word of when they actually will come to market or reasons for delays is ludicrous.

P

·
0 Posts
It is starting to become a cell phone board here, if you are that desperate for a truck and really need one then yes, waiting for something sucks. But if it's because you want it now and think because they expected a release last fall then that's a personal problem. They never actually announced a DATE, it was an estimated release date based on their build time and engine availability. Things happen in manufacturing and almost everything has a delay, and expecting a perfect launch when there were delays in launching a similar product with the same engine is beyond stupid.

I joined to get some information but now feel this has descended into people either patting themselves on the back for being smarter and wanting a diesel or people acting like Ram is personally screwing them out of a vehicle and have all the patience of a two year old. Think this is goodbye and hope the few nice and sensible guys on here enjoy their new trucks, Ecodiesel, new Cummins or something else. And remember they estimate the 2015s with a mild refresh will hit lots in September so if you wait until July to order you might want for next year.

·
Registered
396 Posts
It's not patience of a. Two year old. Can you really say that this was handled well? I can wait and will wait but release date after release date no explanation from Ram, the whole thing is being handle bad.
And yes in a market where brand loyalty is going away and consumers demand information they should have done a better job updating their customers.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
It's doesn't help that with the dozens of dealers I've called/visited in the last month or so between Houston and dallas and none knew about it. It was only announced a year ago. And been plastered on the ram website.

Some say they don't make a diesel 1500, ram doesn't plan on making one, they'll find out more information, they may have heard something about it before, hell Some multi brand dealers didn't even know they had the diesel jeep even when they're sitting on their lot. I've for standing offers on Chevy and ford 1/2 & 3/4 ton trucks at well below invoice because I or one of my companies bring them that much business. The diesel and the ram box are the only reason I want a ram. I can get a diesel anywhere with any truck company.

Asking people to be patient 6 months after the supposed launch of the vehicle with no word of when they actually will come to market or reasons for delays is ludicrous.
For sure, Ram does not appear to have a communications department and many dealers lack initiative. Nevertheless, we know it's on the way so we might as well be patient. There are plenty of other trucks available for the terminally frustrated.

PTCTreeGuy: Sorry if we are being antsy but solid info is short to come by. Maybe we will have something real to talk about in a few weeks.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Ram keeps tightlipped about all their new projects. It's perfectly normal for a brand new powertrain to be delayed so that they can sell the old one. As I've said before, the only people who genuinely have a problem with all the delays are the people who weren't sure of what they wanted in the first place. If it's what you want then wait its not even close to towing season yet

·
Registered
274 Posts
As I've said before it's horrible. Delays? Yes I can handle them if we were provided information. If I ran my businesses like this id have quite a bit less clients.

And towing season started yesterday for me.

·
Registered
366 Posts
As I've said before it's horrible. Delays? Yes I can handle them if we were provided information. If I ran my businesses like this id have quite a bit less clients.

And towing season started yesterday for me.
You want a tissue? Did you sell your previous truck too early or something? That's a personal problem that you're projecting onto the Ecodiesel. If you need to tow drive your old truck. If you can't, maybe you should've waited to sell your last one?

Things go on back-order. I don't care how much you think your truck purchase is important, there's a process. If you created a deadline in your mind again that's a personal problem but unless they give a DATE, the time is always an estimate, so they have every right to change it because its not set in stone

·
Registered
274 Posts
You want a tissue? No, I'm fine Did you sell your previous truck too early or something? No, I still have it but the motor is going out on it That's a personal problem that you're projecting onto the Ecodiesel. If you need to tow drive your old truck. I am If you can't, maybe you should've waited to sell your last one? Again I still have it, it's just on the way out

Things go on back-order. I don't care how much you think your truck purchase is important, there's a process. If you created a deadline in your mind again that's a personal problem I didn't, the the current truck is creating one but unless they give a DATE, the time is always an estimate, so they have every right to change it because its not set in stone

1 - 20 of 49 Posts