RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had the AEM and as part of it, we can no longer backup or pull fwd with the doors open. It's a huge detriment to us truck owners, as we often need to see through an open door when we back up. Does anyone know if that is something that can be disabled via alphaOBD or GDE? I absolutely hate this feature, and combined with the hit on MPG, I feel that the AEM killed everything special about this truck.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Seat belt cheater clip may work.
That's a great idea. I wish I had a seatbelt cheater thing that was in all the time, yet I could still plug my seatbelt into it. I do wear them almost every time, unless I"m just going to the store around the corner, in which case, the alarm is a nuisance

·
Registered
88 Posts
There is a way to eliminate the audible alarm.
Someone on here taught me how to do it.
I'm sure ALFAOBD has something, but it can also be done with a sequence of buckling and key cycles.

I've just been keeping the seat belt latched when the door is open to avoid the forced Park feature.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
That's a great idea. I wish I had a seatbelt cheater thing that was in all the time, yet I could still plug my seatbelt into it. I do wear them almost every time, unless I"m just going to the store around the corner, in which case, the alarm is a nuisance
Short seatbelt extensions work great for that.

·
Registered
541 Posts
I just had the AEM and as part of it, we can no longer backup or pull fwd with the doors open. It's a huge detriment to us truck owners, as we often need to see through an open door when we back up. Does anyone know if that is something that can be disabled via alphaOBD or GDE? I absolutely hate this feature, and combined with the hit on MPG, I feel that the AEM killed everything special about this truck.
It's NOT part of the AEM. I had the AEM and my dealer told me about three other updates, one of which was the "auto park select with door open" (or whatever they call it). I asked about the "neccessity" of it and was told that refusing it was my choice and the refusing it would NOT affect my warranty in any way. I refused it and they said most were refusing it.

My dealer's service centre has been excellent so far.

cheers

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The service manager at Hendrick ram in cary nc told me it was part of the AEM. The other two recalls were for a body control module and tail gate latch.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
541 Posts
The service manager at Hendrick ram in cary nc told me it was part of the AEM. The other two recalls were for a body control module and tail gate latch.

I had the AEM done last week. Today I backed up with the door open .... ?? Seems to match with what my dealer told me ...

·
Registered
120 Posts
I don't believe this feature is driven by the seatbelt. I've noticed i can go forward and backward with door open as long as i am riding the brake pedal. I think that is used as the operator present trigger. As soon as i take my foot off the brake it slams into park.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Guess Hendrick ram of cary nc doesn't know his stuff. My truck is ruined until I spend a ton of money on a tune.

·
Super Moderator
3,762 Posts
Guess Hendrick ram of cary nc doesn't know his stuff. My truck is ruined until I spend a ton of money on a tune.
Go back to that dealer and request a seatbelt extension, by law they(actually FCA) has to supply one to you for free.

As for the UO7 "Auto-Park" recall, it is not part of the AEM recall and as stated before does not have to be done.

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
My experiences with a factory flash update is , When your dealership puts in your vin numbers ALL updates are then down loaded from FCA on the dealerships laptop ,Everything gets an update regardless if you wanted it or not ,No picking or choosing.... I learned this lesson the hard way....

I do not let dealerships flash my vehicles anymore .....

·
Registered
541 Posts
My experiences with a factory flash update is , When your dealership puts in your vin numbers ALL updates are then down loaded from FCA on the dealerships laptop ,Everything gets an update regardless if you wanted it or not ,No picking or choosing.... I learned this lesson the hard way....

I do not let dealerships flash my vehicles anymore .....
.... and yet .... my experience is the polar opposite .... so far.

·
Super Moderator
3,762 Posts
When your dealership puts in your vin numbers ALL updates are then down loaded from FCA on the dealerships laptop ,Everything gets an update regardless if you wanted it or not ,No picking or choosing....
The service tech has to apply each update individually, there is a set and written instructions for each update. I know this as my one buddy is a dealer mechanic and another is one actually writes the procedures for FCA, right down how to plug in the Wi-Tech pod.
You the vehicle owner have the ultimate say on what is done to your vehicle.

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
The service tech has to apply each update individually, there is a set and written instructions for each update. I know this as my one buddy is a dealer mechanic and another is one actually writes the procedures for FCA, right down how to plug in the Wi-Tech pod.
You the vehicle owner have the ultimate say on what is done to your vehicle.
Ask your buddy if FCA will piggy back Safety or Emissions updates to other updates not Emissions or safety related, Ask him specifically if there’s a flash for example dash lights and the vehicle has a required safety flash , can he just flash the dash lights without flashing the safety related issue?

·
Super Moderator
3,762 Posts
Ask him specifically if there’s a flash for example dash lights and the vehicle has a required safety flash , can he just flash the dash lights without flashing the safety related issue?
I already know he'll ask for specific recall numbers, but as I stated before, recall updates are specific in what they include. It's not one big software download. A few months back I had several recalls done, each one has it's own part # even the software flashes. If a dealer doesn't want to abide by your wishes...find a different dealer or talk with the service manager. Worse case scenario they make you sign off on refusing the recall.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I did speak with THE service manager at the dealership. He said that the AEM had the gear selector bug in it. The other two weren't related.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I purchased a used 2015 ECM and sent it GDE for the tune and I no longer have the issue with backing up with the door open on my 2017 ECO.
2015 ECM or GDE dunno but its gone and I'm glad it is.
Merle

1 - 20 of 23 Posts