RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
12,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kicking around going to the Moto GP at that track south of Austin, Tx. Dates are April 21-23. Wife wants to give Valentino Rossi a hug "cause he's cute". That's not gonna happen but the visit might.

Ticket prices are ridiculous. There is General Admission for about $100 each. Parking is $44 a day but free for motorcycles. Can put toy hauler in a track field and "dry camp" for $225 but found nearby RV parks much cheaper with hook-ups.

If we go, have any advice on where to watch, park the toy hauler, things to do etc?

·
Registered
309 Posts
My son and I went to the 2014 MotoGP there. Where you sit depends on what you want to see. We sat on the grass hill on Turn 1. It is the highest point of the track and you can see the start (grandstand area is viewable from there) and the tight turn after a long, fast straightaway leads to occasional mishaps. The open area between Turn 2 and Turn 6 offers good views and, at least at the 2014 event, was not a crowded area.

Here's a map:

Cof A map.jpg

View of the grandstands and start/finish area from Turn 1:

P4120046-L.jpg

Some action on Turn 1:

P4120091-L.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
309 Posts
As far as things to do, head downtown and make somewhere around Congress and 6th your epicenter. Walk. When you hear music coming out of a bar/restaurant that you like, go in, grab a beer and listen. After a while, exit, rinse, repeat.

(Edit) Google Austin music venues. Check to see if a performer or band that you like will be in Austin while you are there. It is worth spend a few extra days to check out the food and music scene. If you don't mind a bit of a drive there are some cool restaurants along the river walk in San Antonio. And if you bring your bike there are some excellent, scenic twisties around Austin.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Driven (instructed) there once. Pretty amazing facilities. Not that fun of a track to drive in a car. Did hit 150 mph (speedo) on the back straight in my then road car. Let off the gas and figured that was really stupid thing to do in a non caged car. Never raced there as I just don't think it's worth cost for the actual track. Cool track to see a race though, facilities are all nice. Austin is a great town to visit too and is worth the visit even w/o the track.

·
Registered
12,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks.

The parking areas behind turns 12-19 are Free for motorcycles. The others charge $44, which is for each day though not sure. A three-day general admission pass is around $100 for each of us. If the weather is forecast to be reasonable we will truck the toy hauler with one motorcycle to use from where we might stay to the track each day.

After the racing my wife wanted to see the Alamo so we will head there for a couple nights. I told her it was mid-town and not like in the movies. She thinks Fess Parker will be there to greet her.

Anyhow, If I park over on the side behind turn 15 or so with motorcycle, it would be a long walk to turn 1 and that hill. I am mid-70's and Pam is but a child of 68. I can walk. She is faster but will "talk the walk" but not "walk the walk". We can carry chairs. Any experience around where that Parking area C, D, and maybe B are where we can park the motorcycle free? I think there are banks to watch around turn 19 before the main grandstand area.

Thanks for the help. They offer a reserved seating for around $250 each that gives you a different location each of the three days. Hate to spend $500 just for seats so the $200 general admission reads better for me. Then Pam can spend the rest of Mark Marquez and Valentino Rossi shirts, hats and trinkets.

How about a rather close RV campground with hook-ups? I see there are some within 20 miles of the track or so. That would be fine as a dry camp at the track is $225 just to park in a field for three days. I can do that and run generator using the water tanks but sure like hook-ups as she likes heat or cool, whatever might be needed. Any experience with any RV parks in the area?

·
Registered
956 Posts
We've been to the Moto GP events at Indy three times and also two Formula 1 events there. The F1 event is super expensive compared to the Moto GP event. Crowds are much smaller for the bike races and the atmosphere is much more laid back. I almost threw the switch to attend an F1 race at COTA but pulled out after discovering the pricing structure. Those RV parks near the circuit all charged $1000 for 3 nights (mandatory minimum) and parking at the event was $100 a day, so the prices you're reporting look pretty good by comparison :)

·
Registered
324 Posts
Kicking around going to the Moto GP at that track south of Austin, Tx. Dates are April 21-23. Wife wants to give Valentino Rossi a hug "cause he's cute". That's not gonna happen but the visit might.

Ticket prices are ridiculous. There is General Admission for about $100 each. Parking is $44 a day but free for motorcycles. Can put toy hauler in a track field and "dry camp" for $225 but found nearby RV parks much cheaper with hook-ups.

If we go, have any advice on where to watch, park the toy hauler, things to do etc?
Glad to see we have Motogp fans on this site. My son is hoping to climb the GP ranks to Motogp some day. He is climbing slowly racing in preMoto3 this year in Europe.

https://www.gpone.com/en/2017010437815/news/keanu-reeves-and-arch-motorcycles-become-sponsor-of-jigalov.html

·
Registered
12,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Damian is 12 years old?

Thought you had to be 16 to participate in any pro event, at least in this country.

I have attended MOTO GP events at venues in England, Belgium, Germany, Italy, and more. Back in the early to mid-90's I made two summer trips to Europe, flying my motorcycle over, to follow the GP circuit. Kind of a shock to realize the pricing structure at COTA. That's not only for tickets but parking, paddock passes (sold out), local RV camping etc.

Wife turned off by the thousands it might cost to do anything there and the exceptionally long distances we may have to walk just to do it reasonably. We are in discussion right now. A 2,500 mile tow and then raping at the scene with the long ride back is not very attractive to us right now. Looking to see if she can spend more time away just then. We have commitments in the north this summer and my wife still uses a couple day a week to help out at a local church and visit her mom in a home. She can only get away so long.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Was thinking of going the year.

Just sitting here watching videos from the MotoGP app.

I would go. It takes a couple of years to get the feel of where to sit during a race. I remember going to Indy a couple of times before finding the right spot for me. Now I have a Ducati and sit where ever that stand is. Make sure you go ever day. It is an experience. You need the full time to get.

-m

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
324 Posts
Damian is 12 years old?

Thought you had to be 16 to participate in any pro event, at least in this country.

I have attended MOTO GP events at venues in England, Belgium, Germany, Italy, and more. Back in the early to mid-90's I made two summer trips to Europe, flying my motorcycle over, to follow the GP circuit. Kind of a shock to realize the pricing structure at COTA. That's not only for tickets but parking, paddock passes (sold out), local RV camping etc.

Wife turned off by the thousands it might cost to do anything there and the exceptionally long distances we may have to walk just to do it reasonably. We are in discussion right now. A 2,500 mile tow and then raping at the scene with the long ride back is not very attractive to us right now. Looking to see if she can spend more time away just then. We have commitments in the north this summer and my wife still uses a couple day a week to help out at a local church and visit her mom in a home. She can only get away so long.
Yes Damian is 12 years old only. The FIM racing governing body made an exception to the minimum age due to Damian racing record in USA. He is the only 12 year old American with an FIM International Racing license. Damian is currently in Italy with mom training with the VR46 Riders Academy with Valentino Rossi. Damian rode with Rossi at Misano last Wednesday.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Yes Damian is 12 years old only. The FIM racing governing body made an exception to the minimum age due to Damian racing record in USA. He is the only 12 year old American with an FIM International Racing license. Damian is currently in Italy with mom training with the VR46 Riders Academy with Valentino Rossi. Damian rode with Rossi at Misano last Wednesday.
12 years old and learning from Rossi. That's crazy. A level of precision and skill none of us will ever attain. Congratulations, Damian.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Been there 2014 through 2016 F1 races, absolutely awesome! Agree with what was said earlier, turn 2-3 is the best I've found, you can see the drivers coming out of turn 1, pick up some speed and watch them very close as they go turn 2-3. Also you can see them going really fast on the chicanes after those turns. That also puts you close to the bridge to cross to the other side of the track close to the tower. As far as parking, I always park outside of the circuit, way cheaper and short walk. Just look for the nearby lots and properties, their owners charge $20 usually and it's easier to get out to beat traffic. If you end up going, have fun!

·
Registered
12,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Not going.

That new trailer is to be repaired next Monday and I already transferred the plate from the old, little one I still have. I get BeInSports so it will be TV for me.
Just because the prices at that track are ignorant high was not the only issue for me to cancel.

·
Registered
12,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Huge crowd and a great American representation of motorcycle interest. Marques for the 5th time and 8th time in-a-row in America. Tony Elias did a double in MotoAmerica Superbike. Sad I missed it and had to watch on TV.
IMG_5292 by Larry Malinoski, on Flickr

Wore my Valentino Rossi shirt on the ride to Peggy's. Rossi is now the points leader in MotoGP after his 2nd place finish at COTA yesterday.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts