RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wonder if anybody on Canadian forum is driving down to Florida for March break. I'm thinking of driving down to Siesta Key but all depends if I can get a good deal on a nice hotel and I convince my wife. She does like to go on long driving trips any more.
If we go I'll get oil change done (7500 Km since last) and not sure if anything else I should worry about. I'm thinking it should not cost me more than CAN $250 in diesel each way.

Anybody any thoughts??

·
Registered
68 Posts
Just wonder if anybody on Canadian forum is driving down to Florida for March break. I'm thinking of driving down to Siesta Key but all depends if I can get a good deal on a nice hotel and I convince my wife. She does like to go on long driving trips any more.
If we go I'll get oil change done (7500 Km since last) and not sure if anything else I should worry about. I'm thinking it should not cost me more than CAN $250 in diesel each way.

Anybody any thoughts??
Can I come? Lol

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

·
Registered
284 Posts
Not going down for March break, but we just took a trip down to central Florida last month. Change the oil, maybe rotate the tires & check all of the fluids and you should be good to go. Didn't really track what it cost each way but it was under $200 CAD and that was at 75-85 mph through the mountains (I79 & I77).

·
Registered
25 Posts
I am taking a long trip for my honeymoon mid May. From Manitoba to BC, then down the coast road all the way to San Diego (7500-10,000 kms total depending on how much extra driving we do along the way). I will do oil change before, maybe rotate tires, make sure all fluids are topped up. I am sure the truck will handle it no problem at all. I was thinking of doing Florida and the keys, maybe next time. Good luck on your trip!!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not going down for March break, but we just took a trip down to central Florida last month. Change the oil, maybe rotate the tires & check all of the fluids and you should be good to go. Didn't really track what it cost each way but it was under $200 CAD and that was at 75-85 mph through the mountains (I79 & I77).
I got extended warranty so tires get rotated. Will be changing air filter as well as truck is sitting at 37000Km. I'm debating between I75 and I79/77 route. I've only taken I75 once when kids were small so may take it again. Now trying to find a nice hotel on the beach between Clearwater and Siesta Key.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am taking a long trip for my honeymoon mid May. From Manitoba to BC, then down the coast road all the way to San Diego (7500-10,000 kms total depending on how much extra driving we do along the way). I will do oil change before, maybe rotate tires, make sure all fluids are topped up. I am sure the truck will handle it no problem at all. I was thinking of doing Florida and the keys, maybe next time. Good luck on your trip!!

Did Florida Keys back in 2013 when I had my Passat. We stayed at Hawks Key resort which is app 1 hr away from Key West. If you go to Key West make sure you check out FURY's ULTIMATE ADVENTURE.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I have one thought.
Don't increase your engine wear by changing the oil 8500 km's before you should. And take those $$$ savings and add them to your fuel budget, win win!

The truck sure does ride nice on the hwy.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have one thought.
Don't increase your engine wear by changing the oil 8500 km's before you should. And take those $$$ savings and add them to your fuel budget, win win!

The truck sure does ride nice on the hwy.
I do oil changes every 10000 Km. Love it on the highway, quiet and nice and high.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I do oil changes every 10000 Km.
Your suggested Oil Change Interval is 16000km's under normal conditions. While it is true the oil is good for longer than that, it is a good safe time to change it. If you want to do your truck a favour, maybe change just the oil filter at 8000-9000 km's, and keep an eye on the fuel filter.

IMO, If you really care about your engine, consider something like the GDE tune, but for the sake of the environment, your truck and your pocketbook reduce unnecessary oil changes.

Jealous of your trip... enjoy!!!!! (and keep us updated)

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Your suggested Oil Change Interval is 16000km's under normal conditions. While it is true the oil is good for longer than that, it is a good safe time to change it. If you want to do your truck a favour, maybe change just the oil filter at 8000-9000 km's, and keep an eye on the fuel filter.

IMO, If you really care about your engine, consider something like the GDE tune, but for the sake of the environment, your truck and your pocketbook reduce unnecessary oil changes.

Jealous of your trip... enjoy!!!!! (and keep us updated)
Got extended warranty so 15 or 16 oil changes and tire rotations are included. Pocketbook got hit when i got warranty.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I got extended warranty so tires get rotated. Will be changing air filter as well as truck is sitting at 37000Km. I'm debating between I75 and I79/77 route. I've only taken I75 once when kids were small so may take it again. Now trying to find a nice hotel on the beach between Clearwater and Siesta Key.
As far as I know the I75 is still closed somewhere around Kentucky Tennessee boarder due to rock slides. The slides just happened last Friday and they were talking somewhere between 2-4 weeks to get it cleaned up and open again... may want to look into that if you decide to head down.

·
Registered
262 Posts
We are headed to my parents' in Bradenton, in two weeks. From Massillon Ohio to there I run I-77. 75 is 99 miles farther for me. Fuel consumption last year was 27.5MPG.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Really wasn't too bad. The worst of the construction was just north of Charlotte, other then that there was no construction that delayed us either way.

·
Registered
268 Posts
i did on mine X5 diesel Toronto Miami 1-3/4 tank one way (around 150 litres )

·
Registered
268 Posts
Really wasn't too bad. The worst of the construction was just north of Charlotte, other then that there was no construction that delayed us either way.
Last year they started , but i drove that place at 4 am , no traffic at all .

1 - 16 of 16 Posts