RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just had my EGR Cooler (under warranty) and water pump replaced a few months ago and its already started loosing coolant again. Took a short drive yesterday and as soon as I got out I could smell it. Popped the hood and sure enough coolant was down to the line on the bottle. Going to head over to the dealership soon as I can to talk with them just wondering if anyone has heard the latest?

·
Registered
13,421 Posts
That's a bummer.

You posted this in the 3ed Generation section for 2020 engines. Does not mean you won't get answers as this issue has not shown up in any reports from 2020 Gen 3 owners.

Just wondering if the leak is from another area other than the EGR cooler, like maybe turbo?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you and SORRY for the mistake. Feel like an idiot.... Good point, could very well be leaking there. Tried to put eyes on a leak this afternoon with no success. Dealer answered my question today looking at mid Feb. for the fix. At least they offered to top it off for free( should have talked to him first before I went and bought a jug at the parts counter) lol

·
Registered
4,292 Posts
other possible leak locations are hard ( read almost impossible ) to see ..
the banjo fittings on the turbo , and the rubber o-rings on the hard lines running under the intake manifold.
------------------------
some images ,, when leak gets worst at banjo fitting , eventually you will see pink waxy residue running down
the Bell Housing , , the leak under the intake just evaporates and smell , you can only see the residue if you can
see under the intake .
no image of banjo fitting , lost it when last computer died ...

·
Vendor
1,197 Posts
Hi Kazimodo,

It could be helpful if your pictures of the coolant pipes could be updated for a better explanation.

The turbo coolant feed is from the banjo bolt fitting on passenger side of the Vee underneath the intake ports on that side, most of the way to the back.

In the 3rd picture, the metal pipe at upper right (it connects to the plastic bypass on front of water pump) is the coolant supply to the 3-way valve - from there it goes either to the trans or heater core depending on requested flow. In middle of the Vee, that metal pipe is the combined return coolant flow from oil cooler+turbo+trans return and EGR+heater return.

In 4th picture, the coolant ports on front of the heads is the coolant return from the heads, not the supply. Heads receive their coolant flow from what flows out of the block and up into the heads thru the deck surface.

In the 5th picture, the main coolant trunk line is the return flow from oil cooler + turbo + trans. The smaller metal pipe that branches off is the return flow from EGR + heater core.

·
Registered
13,421 Posts
Hi Kazimodo,

It could be helpful if your pictures of the coolant pipes could be updated for a better explanation.

The turbo coolant feed is from the banjo bolt fitting on passenger side of the Vee underneath the intake ports on that side, most of the way to the back.

In the 3rd picture, the metal pipe at upper right (it connects to the plastic bypass on front of water pump) is the coolant supply to the 3-way valve - from there it goes either to the trans or heater core depending on requested flow. In middle of the Vee, that metal pipe is the combined return coolant flow from oil cooler+turbo+trans return and EGR+heater return.

In 4th picture, the coolant ports on front of the heads is the coolant return from the heads, not the supply. Heads receive their coolant flow from what flows out of the block and up into the heads thru the deck surface.

In the 5th picture, the main coolant trunk line is the return flow from oil cooler + turbo + trans. The smaller metal pipe that branches off is the return flow from EGR + heater core.
Lordy lordy is that a complicated mess. Not too many years ago there was a radiator, hose to the block and water pump, then hose to return coolant to the radiator. As for heater hoses - don't need "no" stinkin' heater,

·
Registered
4,292 Posts
Thanks GDE , I'm going to work on those images and use '' Paint '' to change the notes ,
it was mysterious to say the least under there , some '' Y '' taking coolant to unknown destinations ,
I'll figure it out , not many people messed around with stuff under the intake ,
I copied images whenever I could , figuring out best I could , your clarifications are very welcome .

·
Registered
4,292 Posts
Fixed my images ..... hopefully right ...
UNABLE TO DELETE LAST 3 '' MISLEADING '' IMAGES IN POST # 4 , I'M NOT A MOD , AND ONLY
ALLOWED EDITING 10 POSTS IN 7 DAYS ... :(

·
Registered
4,292 Posts
finally found image , ( that I lost when computer died ) , of banjo fitting at turbo , feeding coolant to turbo

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just had my EGR Cooler (under warranty) and water pump replaced a few months ago and its already started loosing coolant again. Took a short drive yesterday and as soon as I got out I could smell it. Popped the hood and sure enough coolant was down to the line on the bottle. Going to head over to the dealership soon as I can to talk with them just wondering if anyone has heard the latest?
60 days later dealership repaired my RAM ecodiesal. They put in the SAME type of EGR that failed, (truck filled with smoke while driving down the highway) FCA has no fix yet. Dealership said YES EGR could fail again, maybe tomorrow , maybe next year. I had coolant by right fron tire, could smell coolant after driving truck. My EGR failed 1 week after I received safety recall. Not comfortable with this repair. Basically have a high priced truck to take to the grocery store so I don't get stranded AGAIN far from home.

·
Registered
6 Posts
It cant be the new TYPE of EGR? FCA does not have them yet. Dealership, after 60 days, just put another "same type" EGR in my ecodiesal. They said it could potentially go today, tomorrow or in a year. WHEN FCA has a fix, they will call me back in. Basically I have a expensive truck I can only take to the local grocery store so WHEN the EGR fails AGAIN, I am not stranded far from home. Mine failed 1 week after I received the safety recall, while going down the highway. Cabin filled with smoke so fast I could not see out. Pulled over and jumped out. What a great experience and it can happen AGAIN ANYTIME.

·
Registered
4,292 Posts
EGRs fail over time from cold / hot / cold /hot cycling and developping cracks ,
that new old style EGR should last you until the new models start hitting the dealers ,
expected to be April 9th 2020 . some were told to drive their truck as it was and fill with coolant ,
you got better service , a new ( old style ) EGR to last you until the recall part comes out is a great way to treat you .
enjoy the truck and don't worry , just open the hood once in a while and look at that nice purple bottle to
monitor the level , it is something you should do anyways with this truck , that bottle gives many hints to the health
of your truck .
see Mopar chart on Recalls for many of their vehicules , under VB1 , ( EGR recall for Ecodiesels Ram ).
chart updated regularly , Thanks to Captainmal for the chart .

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Thank yall for the info and taking the time to put up the pictures. Might be able to spot something now that I kind of know where/what to look for. I'm pretty new to these engines and don't know half of what I'm looking at under the hood. Drove my old Silverado for 19 yrs and these ED's are just a little different. I did get in touch with the Service Manager at the dealership the other day and he told me mid-March to first of April before there will be parts available for the new EGR. "Just keep topping her off" lol I am more worried about that 1500$ water pump being they had to change it out twice because the first one leaked before it ever left the dealership.
'

1 - 13 of 13 Posts