RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apparently our 8.4A(N) units are capable of providing a wifi signal in and around the truck via a cell network.

IIRC, its either Sprint or Verizon that this works through here in the US.

Anyone set this up yet?

Is it done via the Uconnect site, etc., or do I take an ID generated from my 8.4 into the store and just grab a new account with that info?

(I have an Android phone on my ATT account that was only there for my Google Glass (which is crap - don't waste your money on it - I did so you don't have to. ;) ). It's $50/month for the data plan I currently have, and while I've been considering removing it, I might just swap the phone to a new carrier and enable the truck at the same time. The phone will be handy to run the Torque app on, with the OBD reader.)

·
Registered
505 Posts
$9.99
$? A week
$34.99 a month

Uconnect will turn your truck into a hotspot but it can be pricey. You should be able to press the assist button on your mirror to connect with them. Then they will set it up for you.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
$9.99
$? A week
$34.99 a month

Uconnect will turn your truck into a hotspot but it can be pricey. You should be able to press the assist button on your mirror to connect with them. Then they will set it up for you.
Great idea! Thanks Drew. :)

Given I'm bleeding $50/month right now for about zip, I don't mind swapping that to the truck. ;)

·
Registered
231 Posts
I plan on using it next month on my trip to the Colorado River. I have my card info downloaded on the UConnect site so all I have to do is activate it via my apps icon on my 8.4. If nobody use it by then Ill report back.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I used it today ,purchased 1 day contract. The kids brought there iPads for a day trip and it worked fine,I mean they didn't complain!,
Push the apps button and it brings u to the online store ,they keep your credit card on file. The process was seemless !!

·
Registered
26 Posts
I purchased a week of mobile wifi on a cross country trip from Idaho to Virginia. Other than being on the slow side, it worked well with iPad's and Mac computer with very few spots that I could not get service. It will probably not get much use, but it sure beats trying to work over the net with the small screen on an iPhone.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
it's only 3g, and it's a little pricey. I have a 4gLTE hotspot for work... so I just use that.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I plan on using it in July.

I have a regional carrier (USCellular) that's only strong in the midwest. Anytime you leave the midwest region, it sucks... majorly. The call still work, but data is next to nothing.
If you ever head to Southwest Va, and western North Carolina they will be great, most people I knew back up there had them over the national plans because they own a LOT of mountain top cell towers.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I used it and my cell phone would disconnect from it claiming that the data connection is too slow. My computer would work ok to check my email, but it would give me errors when trying to send something with an attachment. I have found that for the money it is worth turning my phone into a hotspot and using that. All of our smart phones have that ability built into them and it is free to use, with the exception of using data on your existing data plan. I know that I won't be purchasing the wifi through the truck again. It was so slow that most of my devises would disconnect or give me error messages.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
I tested it for the first month just to see what it offered. In a word, meh. Like most cellular data plans it is overpriced and underperforming. Setup was easy through my laptop and Uconnect. If Sprint charged for the data I used--what a concept!--instead of expensive time-based subscriptions then I would think more highly of it. As it is I might use the service again on a daily subscription but it is too limited and expensive to have on full time.

My phone has Sprint 3G with Verizon roaming so I could compare directly. In my area Sprint has poor coverage outside cities and major highways, so roaming is essential. Unfortunately, the Ram's connection did not roam and even on Sprint it sometimes showed fewer bars than the phone inside the truck (actual Sprint performance measured roughly the same). Another phone, iPad and laptop connected successfully, so it could be useful if there are passengers on long trips who want connectivity. Of course, many phones can be set up as hotspots, too.

Ironically, one of the main uses we found for the rolling Wi-Fi hotspot was to use navigation on an iPad to overcome the ill-conceived lockouts on the Ram navigation.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Unless the Uconnect data plan is considerably cheaper than a mobile phone data plan i don't see the advantages? Most smart phones have the ability of becoming wifi access points, if you had the requirement to connect additional wifi devices while on the road.

·
Registered
803 Posts
If you ever head to Southwest Va, and western North Carolina they will be great, most people I knew back up there had them over the national plans because they own a LOT of mountain top cell towers.
I forget they have small markets down there. Maine too... They love rural markets... but for me (in Wisconsin) - It's great until you get anywhere north of LaCrosse or Green Bay - or anywhere south of Rockford once you get into Illinois (USCellular sold off everything they owned in the Chicago & Southern Illinois markets).

Unless the Uconnect data plan is considerably cheaper than a mobile phone data plan i don't see the advantages? Most smart phones have the ability of becoming wifi access points, if you had the requirement to connect additional wifi devices while on the road.
For me? Having a 2nd cell carrier that I can use data on when I get out of my home area.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I have verizon.......I have used my phone as a hot spot while the wife drives......that works great! I can't imagine going to a 3G system.........I see no real need for it!

·
Registered
231 Posts
Not having to sign a two year contract makes this a great option. Instead of putting in a dvd system I will just use the hotspot with my kids ipads. They can each watch what they want and I save hundreds of dollars over the life of the truck. Priceless in my opinion.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
You know, I need to look into THAT option - might be a bit cheaper and accomplishes the same thing.
Yep... and when you get out of your truck... you still have wifi.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts