RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone plan to put a plow on one of these new 3l's? I do lots of mileage, with regular towing. The loads will vary from a ride on mower w/350lb trailer to 8x12 pulling 15 yards of debris, to towing lower end heavy equip like tractors, bobcats, etc. I could see payoff's around 10-12months over the mileage my current truck gets.

This truck is right down my alley, but I would also be putting a plow on it. My local dealer (in the snowbelt even) hadn't been asked the question yet, kinda hoping someone around here would know details.

Also looking at the air suspension, thinking it would help support the weight of the plow on the front end better along with its other benefits. I'm really curious to see if the air ride system lowering the truck at highway speeds would increase the mileage much over the standard suspension.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
nope... not a chance on the plowing. There are bigger, better trucks to be "Heavy Duty". Also... towing a tractor or bobcat is out.

Honestly... it sound's like you really need a 2500.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Are you saying no plowing for the simple fact it's a 1/2 ton? Or is that because Ram won't rate plows on them?

Im talking 6-7k lb loads, maybe a couple times a year. The majority of the towing is trailer/ mower or trailer debris.

I need mileage more than I need 500 hp and 600lb of torque.

Also- look at these weights on the Bobcat website. Most certainly this diesel will tow these.
http://www.bobcat.com/loaders/compacttrack
And the regular full size skid steers max out at 3900lb, that's well within capacities even with trailer weight.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I will be putting a plow on mine. I only do my driveway but it is 800ft long. And where i live we get around 120" of snow per season. I did some research on the air suspension and it should be no problem to put a 7'6" or 8' plow. I agree for any serious plowing you would want a 3/4 ton. Hell I hate to. Have the plow on my Duramax but when you get 2 foot of snow you do what you have to. I have a farm tractor with a 5' blower but there is no cab and that just sucks. I also remove the plow most days but will leave it on occasionally for a few days now and then.

·
Registered
396 Posts
A V blade is pretty heavy it I'm sure it would be OK for light use. A plow is hard on any truck but and i wouldn't plow commercial with a 1/2 ton but to do you're driveway it will do the job. I have a old Fisher now but will sell it with my truck. I think I'm going to get a 7'6" Boss. They look to be a good light plow.
Do you know where the plow mounts go on a Dodge? My Chevy I had to remove the tow hooks and cut the plastic wider to fit the mounts. The Ramhas the chrome bumper so do the mounts go under it?

·
Registered
279 Posts
Look at your application. Up where Nail lives along the lake they get a lot of snow. Down here in Western Pa, we get less than half of the 120 inches.

Plowing is hard on a vehicle, no matter if it's a 3/4 ton, 1 ton or half ton. I plowed in my brother's 2006 Duramax, and also in his 2012 Ram 2500. With the solid front axle the ram is better suited.

If you are plowing like Nail, just a driveway, or 2 or 3 houses, that's one thing, if you are looking to do it as a business, or plow parking lots, you should consider a bigger truck, HD 2500 or 3500.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
I'm not saying that you can't plow with it... but why abuse a new "Light Duty" truck? Also... a typical skid steer, or small tractor on a trailer will be more than the towing capacity of the truck. (Unless you are getting a std cab 2wd)

So, my opinion stands... you would be better served with a 2500.

Besides... it's more fun to plow with this.....

·
Registered
13,671 Posts
Hearing you guys talk of snow and plows is depressing. I caught a huge cooler full of mackerel, sheepshead, pompano and snapper in 75 degree sunshine on the boat today. Drank a few "brewskies" also.

You are all just reminding me why I left Pa. when I retired in 1999.

Reactions: 2255

·
Registered
396 Posts
Ive seen close to over 160" so far, 2-3" forecast overnight. Good times! Best winter ever.
I hear you, we are at 130" for the season and that is measured in the city limits. I live in the county, we are closer to 150" but you still have 10" on me. (snow that is).
Dr. Honda it would take 5 hours to plow my driveway with a UTV. there are a few days a year where there is just to much to push with the truck. the blower on my tractor is 5' wide and 3.5' high and it still can get above it. when we get snow like you get in Pittsburg I don't even plow. the wife and I both have 4x4 so I wait for a couple for a couple of feet before I bother.
I can not disagree though it is hard on the truck. I wish I didn't have to do it, but it is not worth driving a 3/4 17,000 miles a year just to plow. I also thought about buying a beater plow truck but I fix things all day and hate coming home in a snow storm to work on something all night.

·
Registered
575 Posts
I hear you, we are at 130" for the season and that is measured in the city limits. I live in the county, we are closer to 150" but you still have 10" on me. (snow that is).
Dr. Honda it would take 5 hours to plow my driveway with a UTV. there are a few days a year where there is just to much to push with the truck. the blower on my tractor is 5' wide and 3.5' high and it still can get above it. when we get snow like you get in Pittsburg I don't even plow. the wife and I both have 4x4 so I wait for a couple for a couple of feet before I bother.
I can not disagree though it is hard on the truck. I wish I didn't have to do it, but it is not worth driving a 3/4 17,000 miles a year just to plow. I also thought about buying a beater plow truck but I fix things all day and hate coming home in a snow storm to work on something all night.
I used to plow 2 miles up hill into the ranch in the Unitas. I used a 6' Meyer Plow on a 87 Toyota 4x4. That setup worked well on 200" of snow per year. Never got stuck and I was more efficient at removing snow than my neighbors in 3/4 and 1 tons with V Blade Boss plows. They got stuck a few times per year.

But I agree, my rig was not meant to do commercial plowing. But for a private drive and the right plow I would think it would work well.

Does anyone know if Bridgestone make Blizzaks for trucks? Have those for my forrester and they make all the difference in the world on snow pack. If they do, put those on your truck during the winter and you will not even need to chain up. Awesome snow tires.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
For the OP, sounds like youre in 2500+ Territory.

As for Blizzaks for trucks, yes. I got winterforces now and like them.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13,671 Posts
Masochists all. I shoveled sunshine all day yesterday. Probably have to do that again today.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Masochists all. I shoveled sunshine all day yesterday. Probably have to do that again today.
I grew up in SoCal... and the only snow we got was, when we drove up to the Mtn's to go skiing. But, I'm stuck in Pitt for a few more years at least. But I'll tell you... I'm getting tired of the "Winter" thing. (lol)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
In a perfect world, my clients would pay me enough to make a 2500 viable. But, when you drive 4-5000 miles a month, it is just not feasible to make any money with those gas hogs. I basically have to beat the hell out of a 1500, and I don't do any "commercial" plowing per say- ie, no large lots or churches. I maintain vacant bank properties, so all I handle is vacant residential driveways. Is it too much work on the 1500, yeah, probably- but the 3/4 ton is just too far outside of reality when it comes to the pay for this work. Considering the 4.7l I run now puts out 235 hp and 336lb torque- it should do what I have been doing far better than my current rig and could save me $200-400 per month just in fuel costs. I was more concerned about Ram voiding warranties and the like for plows on the half ton rigs.

I'm little more than a glorified lanscaper- I tow a mower all summer on a 5x6, trashouts on an 8x12, sometimes (once this past year) rented heavier equipment like a kubota 3130 for snow blowing, maybe bobcat for grading driveways, etc. I don't even tow a camper-mostly it just has the 350lb mower plus 350lb trailer behind it. The only reason I would even bother with the 2500 is plowing, and I just don't make enough to justify it, plus the larger size makes dealing with residential properties much more difficult. So, I'm sticking with a 1500 diesel and I'm gonna beat the snot out of it until you can't even call it a horse anymore.

Also- I run Champiro's for winter tires. First year I've tried them, the Discount tire guys talked me into it after they screwed up and didn't order the tires I wanted. TBH, I'm impressed with these tires, I'll be sticking with them for a few years. Very, very solid winter tires and decently priced. Supposedly the highest selling winter tire of Canada, eh.

·
Registered
177 Posts
A friend of mine put Blizzaks on his Jeep and loves them. Last time I checked the Tire Rack they were available in the size required for the Ram 1500 with 17" wheel (which is what I ordered on my Ecodiesel).

·
Registered
346 Posts
I'm so glad I live in southeast AZ where the average afternoon temperature this winter was somewhere around a balmy 60 degrees F. We had a few snow showers, but gosh, it was a gorgeous winter.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts