RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

Anyone know why?

1K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  Bounty Hunter 
#1 ·
I've owned dozens of Cummins powered Dodges for the last 23 years and most were equipped with the fuel filter monitor programmed in and a boost gauge. Any ideas as to why they deleted those monitors on the ED?

I was performing a service tonight and was comparing the ease of service of my Ecodiesel to the Cummins equipped trucks (I really like the euro-style under hood filter element) and remembered the lack of those two pages.

#2 ·
because of the clientelle. the ecodiesel isn't a work truck for most people and the boost guage wouldn't mean a thing to them.... and most people find out they have to change the fuel filter and empty the water separator after they purchase, like finding out you need flood insurance when that little ditch behind your house turns into a raging river but the fine print was on the contract.

#3 ·
Because those are basically meaningless features that are added because customers like them. There not designed in a real useful way just calculated based of modeled fuel flow and a mileage countdown like the oil life monitor. Well at least the fuel filter life. Boost gauge is accurate but doesn't mean much. The ecodiesel is capable of both all it would require is programming to ecm, bcm, cluster, etc. At least ecodiesels have an accurate oil temp reading on premium evics.

#7 ·
I agree that fuel filter monitoring isn't going to be super beneficial. I would much rather be able to monitor fuel pressure than filter life. In my opinion, monitoring boost is beneficial when trying to troubleshoot. Eventually, I would like to get either an iDash Data Monster or EDGE CTS3 to monitor boost and fuel pressure. I would need to add a sensor to monitor fuel pressure, but it might be worth it in a high mileage truck where lift pump failures are known to occur.

Reactions: keiths487too
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.