RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone running 275/60R20 XL tires? I'm considering swapping out the OEM tires to get just a bit stiffer sidewall for towing. The XL has a load rating of 2998 Lb which is about 400 LB better than stock P275/60R20's. Don't want to go up to E series as they will have a hard ride.

·
Registered
961 Posts
I had Nitto TG2s in XL. Rode much nicer than the KO2s I had for a month but got tired of and still handled my 32' TT well.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I believe the KO2's will be way too aggressive for me as I do 95% highway miles. I put 23500 miles on the truck and own it 11 months. The stock tires have a lot of mileage left on them but I am planning a cross-country trip with my 34 ft Travel Trailer. Although it handles very well with the trailer, I see some tire squat. I have been looking online at XL's. I'll look at the Nitto and Cooper's.

·
Super Moderator
3,093 Posts
Johhny, I bought two of the tires I believe you are referring to.. the American made General Grabber HTS. I plan to buy a set of four. The XL load rated seem to be a little firmer than the P load rated SRAs as they should be. Highway all season they are quiet & smooth and unlike E rated tires keep the 60k warranty. Tirerack has them. Es are more stable for sure but at the price of warranty miles price and ride. If a guy has say a heavy 35 foot bumper pull box camper or toy hauler I can see the Es on the back especially if he doesn't have the best anti sway hitch.

For a highway driven 1500 I have no problems with the SRAs and think for most people they are the best bang for the buck. But as you may know I deliver Airstreams so I normally have something in tow.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
VernDiesel, Thanks for the update. From your other posts I know you put on a lot of tow miles. I'm leaning toward the General Grabber HTS60's or Cooper Discoverer HT-plus, both are XL rated 2998 LB at max PSI. I have not had any issues with the OEM p loads but I do notice some tire squat when towing. I will keep the p loads for my 2005 1500 quad with the hemi as I no longer pull with this one. My Ford 350 Van had E series tires and it road hard. I think compromising with XL's is the way to go for a smooth ride and a little stiffer sidewall. Did you ever tow a Coachman Apex 300BHS or are you strictly an Airstream runner? I am picking the APEX up at the dealership this week. They spaced the axles wider apart than my old trailer. I'm not sure if they do that for stability or weight distribution.

·
Super Moderator
3,093 Posts
Johnny don't think I have ever towed that trailer. Probably 85 or 90 percent of what I tow is Airstreams as we are contracted with them and I live close to the manufacturer. We also do Forrest Rivers and Gulfstreams. I don't know on axle width spacing. I used to run semi and we often moved axle settings fore and aft to keep weight distribution within spec for weight stations. Flat bedders use axle spacing as well but I have no experience with it. I will have to check out the Cooper Discover HT-plus. Where do you get them?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I had all four OEM SRA tires replaced with General Grabber HTS60's on Monday. No noticeable ride or noise difference without the travel trailer. I picked up the Apex 300BHS today and pulled it home 4.5 hr trip. This is a 900 Lb heavier travel trailer for me as it is 6139 LB dry. There was no tire squat like I had with the SRA's. I had a 10-15MPH headwind and crosswind all the way home without any sway. The grabbers are 51 PSI max cold and the tire dealer has them at 40PSI. I asked the tech at the camper dealer to bump them up 5 PSI as he was installing the Reese dual cam hitch. I was checking the oil, coolant, tranny temps as I was pulling a moderate grade....All temps OK but noticed still had 40 psi in tires. Checked tire pressure on camper after home a few hours and max 50PSI cold ST's were at 55 PSI....guess we miscommunicated a little as he put the extra 5 in the TT tires. Best to do things yourself. I will recheck tomorrow AM early and adjust pressure as needed. TT tires have nitrogen in them so I did not want to release it tonight and see them under inflated in the morning! Our one local tire shop, Sears and Pep Boys have both the Generals and the Coopers.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'll take some picks of the new rig once it stops raining and get them posted. Later this month I will be taking a trip that I have taken many times with the OEM tires on....I'll see if there is any MPG difference.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Put a set of Cooper Discoverer HT plus XL's on the truck and at 50psi, it handles the toyhauler just fine.Tires don't squat nearly as much as the SRA's. And, yes, I need to adjust the hitch to level the trailer.

20170212174446.jpg

·
Registered
44 Posts
I replaced the Goodyear SRAs with Cooper Discoverer H/T plus 275/60R20s about two weeks ago.Have not towed my trailer yet but on my 100+ mile daily commute it seems I have lost about 1-2 MPG. We have had a lot of wind lately. That may have had something to do with it.
All and all I like the Coopers much better than the Goodyears.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
I've been running a set of HTS-60 XL 275/60 20s for about 5k mi. They run just like the factory tires, mooth, quiet and good gas mileage. They weigh within a lb of OEMs but have a higher max load.

Mileage dropped off a 1-2 MPGs during breaking but they are right back where the OEMs were now.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Cooper Zeon LTZ 275/60-R20, XL rated. Second set I've had, first was on a 2009 Dodge RAM 1500 Sport, put 35k on them on that truck with good wear and awesome traction in snow and on ice. Hopefully I'll get same with this set.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
3,093 Posts
I have run a couple sets of factory Goodyear Wrangler SRAs and a couple sets of the XL load rated General Grabber HTS 60 tires. Never found a difference in mpg. 65,000 mile warranty on the Grabber no mileage warranty on the replacement Wrangler HP. Also a little firmer feeling when heavily loaded. They are fairly comparable to the Michelin Defenders without the Michelin upcharge. On tire rack $157 vs $203 sale price for the Defender but the defender has a 70k warranty. Load ratings 2,601 Wragler, 2,679 Defender, 2,998 Grabber.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I run nitto dura grapplers. Tire load of 3417 lbs. I have conventional suspension and I think it rides like a cadillac. They are not cheap though. They came with the truck but once needing replacement I might buy them again.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts