RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ran across a post on one of the FB groups where a guy said "I've recused myself from the settlement in order to sue FCA privately"
Can someone tell me what this entails? How's that possible? What does that guy hope to gain above and beyond?

I asked him to provide the above and didn't get a response so I'm hoping someone here knows.

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
I have more faith in the people of the class action suit suing ram. They have experience with it and more time and resources to devote to it than I or any attorney I hire does. Also since the class action case is already settled im curious if they court will just rubber stamp any other cases with the same decision, why should they do it all again? And if they were to decide differently would that allow people of the class to do something new etc.?

I think one reason some opted out of the class action suit is they are looking for a buyback, I don't think that's gonna happen.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I ran across a post on one of the FB groups where a guy said "I've recused myself from the settlement in order to sue FCA privately"
Can someone tell me what this entails? How's that possible? What does that guy hope to gain above and beyond?

I asked him to provide the above and didn't get a response so I'm hoping someone here knows.
The opt out deadline was not mentioned by FCA anywhere I saw and came and went even before final class approval in May. It was either the middle or end of April. Sorry but it's too late.

·
Registered
774 Posts
The main reason some would opt out of the class action is if they thought they could get more money out of FCA. There were some that went this route with VW but have never heard any results. That could have been part of the outside settlement. IIRC, the state of Arizona got some more money out of VW for the false advertising but am unsure how much of that went to the owners.

The difference between the VW and FCA suits, IMHO, is that VW advertised the cars as having "clean diesel" and some thought, including FTC, that was false advertising and VW should have been forced to do buybacks at full MSRP plus penalties. FCA was determined to have not declared all of the adjustments that the computer does under all operating conditions.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The main reason some would opt out of the class action is if they thought they could get more money out of FCA. There were some that went this route with VW but have never heard any results. That could have been part of the outside settlement. IIRC, the state of Arizona got some more money out of VW for the false advertising but am unsure how much of that went to the owners.

The difference between the VW and FCA suits, IMHO, is that VW advertised the cars as having "clean diesel" and some thought, including FTC, that was false advertising and VW should have been forced to do buybacks at full MSRP plus penalties. FCA was determined to have not declared all of the adjustments that the computer does under all operating conditions.
It was a combination of false advertising, and taxes. My buddy got 1k back from the state of AZ.

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
AZmavaz according to the Arizona AG's press announcement sometime back, 2585 Arizona ED owners would receive $1000 in compensation from Arizona's part of the settlement with FCA. I've tried contacting them but can't seem to get a response back on how to claim the $1000!

https://www.azag.gov/press-release/ag-brnovich-announces-consumer-protection-settlements-fiat-chrysler-and-auto-supplier
Lol I want to know what the other states are doing with the money they got.

·
Registered
650 Posts

To much vodka ??

·
Registered
184 Posts
FCA is represented by the second biggest law firm in the country, Sullivan and Cromwell, with a large, experienced team working on the settlement. They will have done their best to plug every loophole, anticipated possible omissions, objections, etc, and generally done their homework to the highest level. There is also now established precedent with a settlement in place. IMHO anyone who thinks they can find some razz-ma-tazz personal injury or consumer advocate lawyer and win against them has taken a few too many flights on Puff the Magic Dragon to the land of unicorns and pixie dust.

·
Registered
130 Posts
FCA is represented by the second biggest law firm in the country, Sullivan and Cromwell, with a large, experienced team working on the settlement. They will have done their best to plug every loophole, anticipated possible omissions, objections, etc, and generally done their homework to the highest level. There is also now established precedent with a settlement in place. IMHO anyone who thinks they can find some razz-ma-tazz personal injury or consumer advocate lawyer and win against them has taken a few too many flights on Puff the Magic Dragon to the land of unicorns and pixie dust.
Awesome post Major, you had me cracking up....The only lawyer who could win this case is Jackie Chiles....

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
1 - 13 of 13 Posts