RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I drove threw the lot of my local Ram dealership today to check out paint colors, interiors, trim levels, ETC. There were 6 Jeep ecodiesels on the lot!!! Didn't have time to test drive one today but might go back this weekend. Anyone have a chance to Test drive our future engines want to do a quick review of what you thought? Ive only seen about every video on youtube that has an ecodiesel in it. Would like to hear first hand what somebody thought of it. Thanks

·
Registered
366 Posts
I drove threw the lot of my local Ram dealership today to check out paint colors, interiors, trim levels, ETC. There were 6 Jeep ecodiesels on the lot!!! Didn't have time to test drive one today but might go back this weekend. Anyone have a chance to Test drive our future engines want to do a quick review of what you thought? Ive only seen about every video on youtube that has an ecodiesel in it. Would like to hear first hand what somebody thought of it. Thanks
I was all up in one in downtown Ottawa in -25 in January. It had icicles hanging from the tailpipes and they had to go find the keys(because we intentionally hadn't called ahead) so it was getting its first start in ages. Auto-Start enabled the glow plugs and it ran great right away. Tons of power, almost felt "jerky" if you cracked on it at 50 km/h. I loved it.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Sled, I drove one in December, about a 25 minute test drive... that drive was the strong indicator that the truck Ram 1500 with the 8 speed would be a good package. I was impressed.
I would not buy a grand Cherokee.... but it was a nice ride, the motor never really worked and shifted crisply under gas pedal half way to floor...

Marsmah

·
Registered
13,671 Posts
Agree with Marsman. I drove one and loved the power, transmission and rpm range.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I took one for a test drive..the jeep was sitting a couple days . We had to remove all the snow off it . It was a cold start. First thing I said to the salesman was you started it up. Very quiet . Ran well had alot of power. Get up and go to it. Its going to be great in the 1500 . The jeep is getting 23 to 25 around town highway 30 to 32. A friend of mine has a friend that has one. I just add the air suspension to 6'4 bed. Longhorn Laramie. I figure I will get 20 to 23 and 28 to 30 highway.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Drove one a couple months back, loved it and the engine had a good pickup and sounded great. It was a cold day as well so I got to see it from a cold start, the only thing I was wondering was if the performance would be similar to the 1500 or not. Weight difference, are there going to be any changes in the engine and/or tranny? Otherwise it drove great and if I had $53,000 to burn on an SUV I'd take a look at it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Friday I went in to check trim levels on the ram,, I asked if could test drive a GC 3.0 just to get a feel for the drive train

Well I did like the power the shifting seemed seemless almost cvt like.. too me anyways

but into the drive there was a problem... with 12 miles on it bear in mind.... there was a CEL and there was a message saying the "dpf was full and a regen was necessary.. continue driving at highway speeds", something like that at least

figures too the minute I get back to the dealer lot it completed the regen @22 miles

seemed odd that it needed to do it that soon??

·
Registered
189 Posts
Hello Mr. Bigfoot: I just saw your great review of the EcoD test drive.It was very informitive and answered many of the questions I've had.Wished I'd seen it sooner.I wonder if you know what gear ratio the truck you drove had and which you'd preferr,3.55's or 3.92's? Also was curious what the rep meant when he mentioned the 3.92's shifts would be less crisp then the 3.55's or if he devulged a reason for this? The truck I've ordered is w/3.92's as I will be towing some and driving very little on interstate.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Hello Mr. Bigfoot: I just saw your great review of the EcoD test drive.It was very informitive and answered many of the questions I've had.Wished I'd seen it sooner.I wonder if you know what gear ratio the truck you drove had and which you'd preferr,3.55's or 3.92's? Also was curious what the rep meant when he mentioned the 3.92's shifts would be less crisp then the 3.55's or if he devulged a reason for this? The truck I've ordered is w/3.92's as I will be towing some and driving very little on interstate.
The truck I drove had 3.55. The torquey diesel engine, 8-speed transmission and 3.55 ratio work very well together to provide good response at all speeds. I asked the rep if 3.92 would be better for maximum payload (my primary concern) and he didn't think so. He said that 3.92 is for heavy towing and that otherwise the shift points would be a little off. So, I ordered 3.55 because I do not want to sacrifice fuel economy for towing capacity I won't use.

The only experience with gearing I have to go on was a Jeep CJ with 5-speed manual, 4.10 rear axle and tires up a size from stock. That was too low for my tastes especially considering there was a low-range available.

As for the great axle ratio debate, I wouldn't sweat it. The difference between 3.55 and 3.92 is moderate, and this powertrain is very flexible.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Thanks for your info and thoughts Bigfoot.If it weren't for the extra towing capacity I also would have gone with 3.55's.My tow weight was just over what was recomended and we do have some hellish hills around here on secondary rds.I did find the Hemi 3.92's worked best for me and hope this holds true with the EcoD too.Can't wait to find out.I'll be sure to post my thoughts to aid others in the future.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Turbo engines are different and I have no experience with a diesel however I did turbo a gasoline Dodge Slant 6 and learned a lot with that combo (turbos).

Started with 3.23, then 2.94 and finally settled on 2.76. In each instance, it went faster with new gearing. Torque is huge, best run is a 11.02 @ 121mph (3500lbs race weight) and could go on a 1,000 mile road trip now if I wanted because the cam is so tiny.

Turbo engines like load and this translates to boost (coming on fast) and torque. The 3.0L ED will be just fine and dandy with the 3.55!

Reactions: TMorgan

·
Registered
56 Posts
I just took a short drive in a Grand Cherokee EcoDiesel. Not overly loud running cold but louder than gas, quieted down substantially when warm. I could feel the vibration sitting at idle. Smoooth when driving. Definitely can tell it's a diesel! Can't hardly hear it running standing at the back. No exhaust smell.

Barely touch the throttle and the acceleration was there. Lots of torque under the foot. Then I drove a 5.7 Hemi 1500. Tried to imagine the ED in the truck. I think it would be quieter in the truck. I think the truck had an over all quieter, more solid feel. Maybe it was because of no diesel! Who knows about feeling vibration at idle. Hemi was smoooth at idle.

All in all I'm still leaning to the ED. All that torque at low rpm.

Oh, answered my own question. Gears are 3.45 in the Jeep with ED.

I think I need to drive it again and pay more attention to a few things like the tranny.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Good diesel review Snyd.I thought the same as you when I drove a EcoD GC.I also noticed the slight vibration at idle.I kind a liked it since it was about the only time I knew it was a diesel with the windows up.Sounded nice outside when idling too.I liked looking at the instant mpg display reading high 20's-low 30's best though.I figured the Ram would be much heavier then the GC and with bigger tires might not be as snappy.I was happy to find that the GC is only a few hundred lbs lighter(I think around 5200lbs.)depending on trim of Ram.I heard on one of the reviews that Ram piped in just a little more exhaust note for the trucks.Hope so.Since you also drove a Hemi(I own 1 now)Did you think you actually had to push the throttle a little more then the Hemi to start off.Since my Hemi is extremly responsive on take off,I have to use a gentle foot or it will take off like a dragster.I actually liked that the diesel GC was a little more smooth and predictable when taking off normally.Definately had all the power I need and more.All in all,it was what I needed to convince me to order a Ram diesel.Can hardly wait til it gets here to drive it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts