RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was reading about someone performing some lifting and leveling of their truck and it was mentioned that on some trucks the rear coil springs are different to accommodate the weight differences with the driver, fuel tank, and DEF tank.

Does anyone know for sure if the coil springs are the same on an ED?

·
Registered
4,400 Posts
Does your truck lean to one side? My truck with air ride has leaned to the left since it was new, worse with a full tank of fuel.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I think they're the same. I put some drop coils in to level out my truck and they looked the same and there wasn't anything designating right and left coils as I remember.

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
I'm sure a quad cab tradesman probably has different springs than a crew cab 6.4 bed
laramie. As far as left right they should be the same.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No lean here. Rear side to side height within 1/8”. I was just curious and thought if they were different that would be good to know for anyone planning to swap stuff in the rear suspension.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Perhaps for different trim levels?

·
Super Moderator
2015 Outdoorsman EcoD CC w/6.4' 4X4
4,354 Posts
Different trim and body configurations have different part numbers for the springs.
If memory serves me correctly, as the truck rolls across the assembly line there are different part numbers for each individual spring. When you buy the Mopar springs there is one part number but the springs are marked/different for L/R.

·
Registered
4,400 Posts
Perhaps for different trim levels?
Outdoorsman sit higher, so those are different springs. And I'm betting a package with 20" wheel package will have different springs than if it had 17" wheels. The build sheet for trucks with 20" wheels has a line item for addition ride height.

That would account for three different spring options.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Buuuuut, do any trim levels have different springs on left vs right?

·
Registered
716 Posts
Sorry, don't know, but if you put rear in spring air bags, you could try a tweak of the pressure. Example: 6 psi in driver side and 5 psi in passenger side? You would just have to have separate air lines for each side. Just a thought....

·
Registered
107 Posts
I do know that on the Jeep Wrangler and Gladiator, which have a very similar suspension design, there are always 4 different coils on the vehicle. The tags on the coils also reflect 4 different part numbers. I'd assume the Ram is the same.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts